Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

Fozzy

aaaaarggghh hes at it again someone stop him pleeeeeese... hes making me feel like my attempts at modelling are ham fisted and amateurish!!:-D

All in fun fozzy:-D supurb work as usual i cant wait for the next installment!:-)

Cheers Dude...Crusty that is! ;)

aaaaarggghh hes at it again someone stop him pleeeeeese... hes making me feel like my attempts at modelling are ham fisted and amateurish!!:-D

All in fun fozzy:-D supurb work as usual i cant wait for the next installment!:-)

I kno how you feel, especialy as Oliver has started another helicopter build ;)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234961066-super-frelon-heller-135-scale/page-4#entry1659782

Hi to everyone and thank you for all your comments :)

This update shows some of the detail I have done on the pilots side wall.....as like the other side wall the detail is only up to the back of the seats (which I am yet to think about scratching....gonna be a toughy that one!!!)

The first photo shows all the bits and bobs that were on the pilots side wall...from suit heaters to the oxygen regulator......its about 2 days worth of scratch building.............

xa003_zps779d33bd.jpg

I tried to get a close up of the panel light bulb I made which shows you the stupid lengths I go to for realism!! :rolleyes: ...I got a clear plastic cocktail stirrer and put it very briefly under a lit candle to get the shape of the bulb!.............

xa008_zps5d34953e.jpg

This next photo shows how I make the oxygen hoses....very thin fuse wire wrapped around a length of wire..............

xa002_zps8539030f.jpg

.......and finally the next lot of photos show the side wall all put together............

xa010_zpsd3bc7ac5.jpg

xa019_zps04f659d2.jpg

xa016_zps65018a03.jpg

xa020_zpsf7e90408.jpg

xa033_zps16255a33.jpg

Once again that's all for now.

Coming up next is the central control box in front of the IP which houses the throttles...this might take some time so wont be around for a bit!!!! ;)

Thanks again for taking the time out to look at all this....

Fozzy

• Like 8

Thanks for your input lads!...good stuff....

On the front of using guitar strings Wrivera....2 problems I think would arise....1. Guitar strings are blasted expensive...I should know I buy enough of them!!....and 2. Fuse wire conforms to the shape as you wrap it and requires no glue...whereas Guitar strings would need glue to hold it in place as it would spring off!!....unless of course I am mistaken! :blush:

Cheers chaps!

I suppose you could shape the geetar string round a former and flood it with stuporgloo

When the corrosive fumes have dissipated and the cyano dried it would prolly hold its shape quite well. I use it to add stiffness without massive thickness to weakened appendages (U/C legs for instance, I had to use massive amounts of nasal tissue killer on my Black Cat to hold the puny legs together tightly)

cue Fozzy stalking the stage at Glasto next year looking for discards...

:)

The problem with guitar strings is the inner wire is VERY stiff and doesn't like to bend. Sometimes you can extract the inner wire and just use the wire wrapping, but its very tricky to separate them.

I picked up a cheap set of guitar string on eBay from china for a couple of quids, including postage, so not that expensive and I got a complete set of 6 for that, although I only want the 3 lower ones as they have the wrappings. They are unlikely to be high quality for that price, but I'm not going to be playing them...

The problem with guitar strings is the inner wire is VERY stiff and doesn't like to bend. Sometimes you can extract the inner wire and just use the wire wrapping, but its very tricky to separate them.

Couldn't you just anneal the strings?

Anthony.

Interesting subject we got here regarding guitar strings...thanks for all your input ...but I just have to say ...without sounding ungrateful for your suggestions!.....and please don't take this the wrong way.....but.....

You suggest separating the wrapping wire from the inner wire on guitar strings...even though its difficult Kallisti ? !....and annealing the strings to make them more pliable Anthony?....very interesting ideas I have to say but .....why??....Fuse wire just wraps around anything without annealing and without any preparation or gluing for that matter...you guys should try it and see how easy it is sometime.

Jeez......I do hope I haven't offended any one...it is not my intention :(

• Like 1

Yes, amazing work yet again. Fozzy is there a chance you model will ever on public display anywhere? I would love to look at it up close and personal.

Cheers Nigel......possibly in the future as I will be bringing it back to UK......but I have got to get it finished first!!!....so don't hold your breath

;)

• Like 1

Interesting subject we got here regarding guitar strings...thanks for all your input ...but I just have to say ...without sounding ungrateful for your suggestions!.....and please don't take this the wrong way.....but.....

You suggest separating the wrapping wire from the inner wire on guitar strings...even though its difficult Kallisti ? !....and annealing the strings to make them more pliable Anthony?....very interesting ideas I have to say but .....why??....Fuse wire just wraps around anything without annealing and without any preparation or gluing for that matter...you guys should try it and see how easy it is sometime.

Jeez......I do hope I haven't offended any one...it is not my intention :(

Sometimes we just miss the obvious. Modellers are like Engineers - the simplest solution will always be discarded in favour of something very complicated and expensive!

Fozzy - please accept my apologies for my lack of posts but, quite honestly, I am running out if superlatives!

Edited by brianthemodeller
  • Like 1

I've tried both methods and to be honest it depends on the scale. For 1:32 I think you are right that fuse wire is a better solution, but for smaller scales or for finer detail, I think the guitar strings can produce a better result, for exampel I did it on my 1:35 Scimitar 2 build recently:

This is what I was trying to represent:

DSC01340.jpg

and this is the result using a #5 guitar string:

DSC_0862.JPG

I don't think I could have got it as fine as that by hand winding.

• Like 6

Last time I looked for fuse wire on one of those

little cards in Wilkinsons I couldn't find any.

Has everywhere gone to cartridge fuses

& CB's/ trip switches ?

Befriend a guitarist.

Beg him/her for broken strings.

Being cheap costs nowt!

Last time I looked for fuse wire on one of those

little cards in Wilkinsons I couldn't find any.

Has everywhere gone to cartridge fuses

& CB's/ trip switches ?

Befriend a guitarist.

Being cheap costs nowt!

I'm a bass guitarist and I ain't using my strings!!!! :o

What I also use is wire that is wrapped around coils in old radios etc.....I took apart an old radio years ago and still using the contents to this day! ;)

• Like 2

Hello Fozzy, I just read through the whole thread, better than go to the movies.

I don't want to highjack your project or suggest spending any more time, but did you consider putting lighting into this masterpiece using micro-LEDs? Well worth and the lighting would make some of the detail more visible, detail into which you put this tremendous amount of attention and patience. It would still be doable and with so much cabling already in place, some additional wires wouldn't matter.

This is a truly admirable project.

Take care,

Jürgen

• Like 1

Hello Fozzy, I just read through the whole thread, better than go to the movies.

I don't want to highjack your project or suggest spending any more time, but did you consider putting lighting into this masterpiece using micro-LEDs? Well worth and the lighting would make some of the detail more visible, detail into which you put this tremendous amount of attention and patience. It would still be doable and with so much cabling already in place, some additional wires wouldn't matter.

This is a truly admirable project.

Take care,

Jürgen

Hi jurgen

Thanks for your kind comments and your input ;) . I have toyed with the idea of putting in some LED's and I experimented by putting one in the front compartment to see what it was like.......but since then I have been thinking on the lines of not actually fitting the top half to the bottom so that all the detail I have put into this project will be seen!

This is still an on going thought and it troubles me a bit I have to say but I don't have to make up my mind now...but soon I will have to make a decision :unsure:

cheers

Fozzy

..but since then I have been thinking on the lines of not actually fitting the top half to the bottom so that all the detail I have put into this project will be seen!

I can see that would work for the cockpit but would it work to show off the detail around the waist guns and ball turret?!?

• Like 2

I can see that would work for the cockpit but would it work to show off the detail around the waist guns and ball turret?!?

You and your little jokes Brian!!! ;)

Befriend a guitarist.

Being cheap costs nowt!

Ahem...I play the guitar. I have 5 of them