Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

Fozzy

Fozzy I really do not understand this model...

:weep:

Human beans just can't DO this stuff on a model.

As my childhood hero, Hurree Jamset Ram Singh used to say...

"The doingfullness of this is most impossible."

perfect just got betterrer

nice one mate, Have fun with the .50 cals I've just knocked out a pair to suit my Catalina.

Shall I trash them now or next week? Detail confined to cocking handles :(

;)

Once again thanks chaps! :)

....Bill......yep ,I will try to have fun with the 50 cals!!.....show me yours and I'll show you mine!!! ;)

Thanks Alan.....and Good afternoon one and all. :)

I have eventually managed to do the rest of the small detail before I make the 50 Cals...so here is a small update.

ASTRODOME DETAIL

Here are a couple of photos of the detail ....most of it being guess work as lack of info ! :(

sx002_zpsade09ad4.jpg

sx008_zps5e6af44e.jpg

CHEEK GUN ATTACHMENT CABLES AND PULLEYS

Here is the detail I have done for the attachment cables and pulleys for the cheek guns..........

sx018_zpsd738821c.jpg

sx032_zpsb30dff3e.jpg

sx020_zps8a82c914.jpg

sx024_zps7c03e4ad.jpg

really fidely work :(

Ok then ...so its on with the Guns....this is going to take some time so I wouldnt hold your breath! :unsure: ....I have to make two identical guns (should be fun!!)...and I'll get back to you when I have made some progress

Thanks again for all your support

Fozzy

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again

Its time for another update...............

THE CHEEK GUNS

So I have started on the 50 cal cheek guns and first off here are a few photos of them during construction............

guns002_zps87339a08.jpg

guns011_zps86395216.jpg

guns004_zps4be84641.jpg

guns008_zps2a8987b2.jpg

guns005_zpsd5d2ac77.jpg

.....as per usual ...I have made them out of scrap plastic ,a few cuttings from a coke can and wire.

Here they are painted (not completed yet as I have to make the gun mounts which the MG slips into and the loading handle etc etc) ...............................

mb002_zps5c51cfdf.jpg

mb001_zps85119e2b.jpg

I have been informed from a good source that maybe the barrells are a little on the short side....so I will look into that!.

Now onto the hardest thing to date...the chuffing window that the MG pokes through!!! :weep:

What a nightmare!! :(

For those of you who have been following this will know that I have already pre constructed the window frames...see below....

km007_zps50789110.jpg

.....how ever......I suddenly thought that it was going to be really difficult to attach the gun through the bottom aperture ....not to mention attaching the ammo belt!....whilst at the same time gluing it to the fuselage side.....I visualized my self committing suicide whilst attempting to do it! :suicide: ....there had to be an easier way.

Well I decided to build the window frame for the gun onto the top half of the fuselage....then set the gun through the aperture and then fix the ammo belt.......well this is all well and good but it means the frame is not as accurate as what I would like.....but there really is no other way!...it will just have to do!!

Here is the Port side frame finished ready to take the MG...............................

bv001_zps26169c46.jpg

bv007_zps978ccb63.jpg

bv003_zpsb947a4f1.jpg

....all I have to do now is do the exact same thing for the Starboard side!!! :whistle:

The wife is calling me to do shed loads of concreting around the garden and the my band keep saying ("learn the bloody set!")...and so there will be a bit of a wait until the next post....

.......but I'll be back! ;)

Cheers for looking in

Fozzy

• Like 2

Hi all

Thanks for all your interest in this model saga!!! :)

Well a few days have gone by and most of that time was spent plastering the front of my house ready for painting sad.png ......but I did find time to continue with this build smile.png

I decided to fix some of the windows before finishing of the cheek guns. I have also fixed the astrodome perspex.......here they are.......................

IO008_zps3e20525a.jpg

IO010_zps60e54955.jpg

IO006_zps58d6d9fe.jpg

IO003_zps32e39830.jpg

IO005_zpse90a08a1.jpg

Looking at these photo's reminds me that I have a shed load of work to do on the fuselage skin....ie...filling gaps/rubbing down areas etc ! unsure.png .......but that all comes later.

Next up is to finish off the guns and install them in the windows.

Cheers for looking in wink.png

• Like 4

Still looking pretty darn good to me.

BTW, Did a Martian explode in the cockpit?

Keep them coming, Fozzy.

Seriously impressive.

Shame the house DIY gets in the way.

Cheers Pete.......yes its a real green mess in the cockpit!......as for the house DIY...I have counted approx 20 odd jobs queuing up for my attention :weep: !!

Don't talk to me about green messes

The inside of my Catalina looks 'orrible, why on earth didn't they paint their 'planes grey inside

As you have been talking about making 50cals I thought I'd show you the ones I made for the Cat in 72th scale

Nowhere as detailed as yours ARE GOING to be of course but look OK in 72 in a bubble

Barrels from the shop in Lowestoft, they sell two makes of barrel at two different prices, I can't find any difference in quality

Bubble not fitted yet, this is just to spur you on

Domestic tasks, pah I speet on my domestic tasks damn them :(

USUAL RIDER, I will pull the pic if you like :thumbsup:

CatalinaBuild179_zps8070d603.jpg

I'm loving this Fort more each time you do summat, amazing work

b