Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

Fozzy

It has taken me just shy of 2 years to get this far with the front end...

Bloody hell, doesn't time fly!

Didn't believe that it was two years ago and had to check the date of the first post although what is more worrying is the number of years I've been following your previous builds of the Spitfire and Lysander.

At this rate, I'll be retired next month :)

Whatever you decide to do next, I'll be following just as avidly! How about another WWI subject? In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing this front end finished!

Ian

Thanks guys! ;)

I KNEW you'd succumb eventually - it's only taken two years of subtle nagging! Granted, I will probably have retired before you finish it (I'm 42) but it will be worth the wait.

Okay Brian....you win!! :rolleyes: ...although I will be having a go at scratching something else first.....you say your 42 and that you would be retired before I complete?.....I on the other hand would probably be dead as I am 59!! :pipe:

Bloody hell, doesn't time fly!

Didn't believe that it was two years ago and had to check the date of the first post although what is more worrying is the number of years I've been following your previous builds of the Spitfire and Lysander.

At this rate, I'll be retired next month :)

Your not kidding Tony!....doesn't seem that long ago when I was doping the tissue on the Lysander! :o

Whatever you decide to do next, I'll be following just as avidly! How about another WWI subject? In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing this front end finished!

Ian

Cheers Ian.....what to do next! :hmmm: .....not sure really...I have thought about another WW1 aircraft...but I also have thought about another WW2 fighter....decisions decisions!!...might just build a OOB kit...we shall see!

Hello to all!

"The light at the end of the tunnel" is shining very brightly now as I approach the end of this massive project I took on 2 years ago!

The last hurdle that I had to face was the suspending of the upper turret....which I am happy to report surprisingly didn't give me too much trouble...well maybe a bit!! ;)

I wasn't going to at first but in the end decided to replace the detail that was on the cockpit ceiling before I re- hashed it all...wiring it all up I found a bit difficult due to the lack of space but after swearing at it for a few hours I managed to replace it all!

Using plenty of scrap plastic to scratch build the parts....this set of photos show that the detail within the cockpit is now complete.....

oo%20001_zpssewaaxkg.jpg

oo%20014_zpsbota5o0p.jpg

oo%20011_zpsif18dyzd.jpg

oo%20008_zpsxdr3xkf4.jpg

oo%20016_zpsu76jegzn.jpg

oo%20017_zps4bqfjifx.jpg

oo%20019_zpsa2s8pcr7.jpg

• Like 6

Here are some internal shots of the gunners swivel plate (for want of a better word!!)

oo%20002_zpsqwp7hvlj.jpg

oo%20008_zpsxdr3xkf4.jpg

oo%20036_zpsbxdg9dyb.jpg

oo%20037_zps3qtynimd.jpg

oo%20013_zpstbgqizry.jpg

Now that the rear is complete I am going forward again to attach the front nose perspex and scratch build all the MG barrels (6 of them) and fix in place.

...but first I'm off on a little break tomorrow and driving to Istanbul for a few days and so the next post will be a little while coming !.............but I'll be back!

Only a few more posts to go and that's it!! :)

Cheers as always for looking in guys

Fozzy

• Like 9

THAT is SO amazing!!

you could believe you are looking at the real thing!

The only thing more amazing would be to build the rest of the plane!

Stunning Fantastic work!

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments lads! :)

I am just finishing off a few details here and there before I post again.......and then its on with the final push of painting and making a stand !

Will be back soon.......

Fozzy

• Like 1

I like it Fozzy

A road trip to allow us time to get over your mind trip, great idea

I've been an observer as well as an average modeller myself for many (MANY) years

I've seen ship models in museums that were incredibly intricate in steel and brass

I've seem models as complex as the working model of the Mulberry Harbour in Arromanches built by Basset Lowke to demonstrate its operation to Churchill and his generals

And I've marvelled many times at the wondrous works of art at IPMS nationals/Scalemodelword

Where was I? (getting carried away by rhetoric maybe) Ah yes

I have never seen a better scratch built model of such impressive complexity and artistic integrity

A BOW mate

You need to take a bow

• Like 2

Hello there

So here we have the very close to the finishing post ......post!! ;)

I have some photos of the nose glass in place....not an easy task but managed to get it in position using a dab of super glue and filling the join with wood glue!

For those of you that didn't see the post I did on forming the nose glass...suffice to say that I made a plug of the shape of the nose glass out of Balsa wood and then vac formed it using an old piece of packaging for a computer mouse I had lying about...and added detail with strips of clear plastic....

So here are some photos of the glass in place..............

oo%20007_zps2qk8rnn7.jpg

kj%20010_zpsanc5fb56.jpg

kj%20025_zpsganfyjyl.jpg

kj%20016_zpszpgvhkpv.jpg

kj%20022_zpsbhozqheo.jpg

kj%20008_zpsrbqxqws5.jpg

kj%20021_zpsgwnqluvm.jpg

kj%20020_zpszjqvska3.jpg

oo%20017_zpsk72m20r1.jpg

kj%20026_zpsrby4d1tl.jpg

Yes I know its photo heavy!!....but you should know me by now!! ;)

I have a few photos of the upper turret gun barrels I made coming up ...see below!

• Like 4

I made 6 gun barrels....I used sprue from old kits and drilled the cooling jackets with a micro drill....I'm quite happy how they have turned out.............

oo%20004_zpseqqjyz1e.jpg

oo%20002_zps746evj2v.jpg

oo%20023_zpsvogntxyt.jpg

oo%20025_zpssplf1lbi.jpg

Okay chaps....All that's left to do on this project now is to paint...or cover with tin foil (if the wife has got any in the kitchen :) )....depending on what looks the best....I'll start to foil it from the top and see......and then all the remaining gun barrels will have to be attached and painted ............now what else is there......oh yes make a crew hatch door for the Navigator and Bombardier...and then finally choose the nose art ....preferably one that I can hand paint!! :unsure:

I will probably post again when the foil or paint has been applied.......until then ...thanks for looking in :)

fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 7

Good god.... That is extraordinary! One of things I can remember about going to the Imperial War Museum at Duxford 5 years ago was looking into the nose of the B17 in the yank's hangar and thinking-wow, imagine being a bomb-aimer during the war. I went back there last year and it all came back to me, you sir have managed to capture such a beautiful aircraft in such an awe-inspiring way. Although I prefer the British bombers, your build may have changed that perception :P

I am really looking forward to this being finished (and please hurry i've almost finished the popcorn :D :D :D ). There isn't much I can add to that which will do your model/masterpiece/piece of art the justice which it deserves.

Very well done sir!

Sam

I've said it before but I'm not afraid to repeat myself. (just ask my wife :winkgrin: )
Fozzy this is absolutely impressive work. Job Well Done! :thumbsup: