Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

Fozzy

Telford 2015 sounds like my kinda date Fozzy

I'll bring Scouty, put her on the club stand but not on a pedestal ;)

I hope that means that Telford will witness the B17's stepping onto the display stage though

It'ld be a tragedy/travesty if it didnt

Hi all...and yes hopefully see you at Telford next year Bill...and any other of you BM chaps ! :)

Here is a small update on a wee bit of progress.

The vacuum bottles/flask for the crew to have their fix of caffeine and to keep them warm during those long cold sorties!

The hardest part was the paper cups........made from paper! :rolleyes:

Here's the photos............................

pp007_zps59714479.jpg

pp022_zpsd6a8a3db.jpg

pp017_zpsd57b76e8.jpg

pp006_zpse61960cb.jpg

pp010_zpsf83f9e0b.jpg

hfd8_zps1891b7ee.jpg

hfd_zpsa5ad8dfd.jpg

Next up will be the biggy!!!...scratching the top turret !!.....so see you in about a year! ;)

Fozzy

• Like 5

No sugar in mine, Ta.

Top turret?

Coleslaw pot, couple of slits.

Easy!

Excellent work, as always.

Pete

Ha ha Pete! :D thanks mate!

I just don`t know how you do it Fozzy mate.

Fantastic....

Simon.

I don't know why I do it Simon!!! :unsure:

• Like 1

I just had an awful thought about this masterpiece

You are over there in foreign europe as opposed to europe here, right

Isnt there a EU directive controlling the use and disposal of all packaging waste?

Will "THEY" be chasing you for misuse of waste materials?

Shouldnt all the used yoghurt pots and wire be being picked over on a beach in the sub-continent so your local council can say it is doing its "BIT" to recycle?

Basically sir would you kindly disassemble the recycleable bits and use new unused pieces of plastic like all the other, more boring and less talented modelle....

Sorry

That was a horrible thought, Ive just unthought it :mental:

I love the coffee cups, just more mind blowing incredible model making

And I like the coffee flasks, what bean have you brewed up with? Bet it's not Jamaican Blue Mountain is it

as ever Fozzy, this is beyond great and up amongst the godlike for quality

b

• Like 2

Isnt there a EU directive controlling the use and disposal of all packaging waste?

Shouldnt all the used yoghurt pots and wire be being picked over on a beach in the sub-continent so your local council can say it is doing its "BIT" to recycle?

Basically sir would you kindly disassemble the recycleable bits and use new unused pieces of plastic like all the other, more boring and less talented modelle....

Sorry

And I like the coffee flasks, what bean have you brewed up with? Bet it's not Jamaican Blue Mountain is it

b

This is the most genius bit of recycling I have ever seen. Wonderful job :) Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 1

Fozzy, I am now completely convinced that you have a miniaturization machine, and a fully intact b-17, hidden away somewhere.

While you say you're building, you're actually just quietly zapping one piece of the b-17 at a time...

:P

Seriously awesome work here

K

• Like 1

Sorry

b

Ha ha Bill.....horrible thought!...the EU can go and !!!!!!! -_- ...trust you to have that thought!!! ;)

A friend of mine was about to throw away an old TV and Radio set ...I took them off his hands...unbelievable amount of goodies that can be used from opening the backs up!...

I had to chastise the wife the other day as well!!...she was about to throw away all the glass for the cockpit windows on this build !! :o I told her...its not just packaging!! :rolleyes:

This is the most genius bit of recycling I have ever seen. Wonderful job :)

Thanks a lot Rob...I do have a few "normal" sheets of plastic card in my stash...but as for the rest of the material I use ....its a case of having to!...you would as well if you were living in the middle of nowhere like me!! ;)

Absolutely INSANE!Aces to you Fozzy! :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob:

Cheers Canuck!

Fozzy, I am now completely convinced that you have a miniaturization machine, and a fully intact b-17, hidden away somewhere.

While you say you're building, you're actually just quietly zapping one piece of the b-17 at a time...

:P

Seriously awesome work here

K

Would be a lot easier wouldn't it K? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there chaps

Slow ...slow ...and slow progress!! :( .........but never the less ...progress!

It took me some time to get the plug ready for vac forming the upper turret .....as always I used Balsa wood for the plug.....not very exciting photos but shows the small progress I have made ;) ..................

The blocks of Balsa were glued and clamped to dry for a couple of days....

kj002_zpsc216a186.jpg

Here it is sanded to shape...........

kfd005_zps32b43699.jpg

kfd006_zpscb5b0d35.jpg

.....and placed into the aperture to see what it looks like...........

jh001_zpsf672b5b2.jpg

jh003_zps8229d061.jpg

jh004_zpsbe76ec95.jpg

Now the hard parts commences!!! :unsure: ...vac forming the part!....I need to find a piece of clear food packaging....time to raid the kitchen trash bin!! ;)

Will get back when the vac forming has been completed.............

Thanks for looking in.

Fozzy

• Like 4

I'd advise sealing the grain if you are making clear mouldings Fozzy, I used cyano let go hard all over the timber sections on my Scout

When it is set it can be polished to within a ninch of its life ;)

On a clear buck the finished unit shows all the grain it can find, quite maddening really

If you remember Alan Hall used to advise a mix of model dope and talcum powder for that task, that polished nicely too

Edited by perdu

I'd advise sealing the grain if you are making clear mouldings Fozzy, I used cyano let go hard all over the timber sections on my Scout

When it is set it can be polished to within a ninch of its life ;)

On a clear buck the finished unit shows all the grain it can find, quite meddening really

If you remember Alan Hall used to advise a mix of model dope and talcum powder for that task, that polished nicely too

Cheers Bill....I was going to use diluted PVC glue......might do the trick ......but maybe cyano would be better....

Thanks for your advice mate! ;)

• Like 1

Hi all

Time for some fun and games with my "Henry hoover"!!

Yep...I bought this hoover many years ago and I have had more fun Vac forming than hoovering the chuffing house....no surprise there then ;)

In my last post I had shaped the plug for the top turret out of balsa wood....it was now time to vac form it.

1. First off I had to seal the plug before vac forming else all the wood grain would show up on the finished article. Thanks Bill for your input on this subject but in the end I went with my usual method of a coat of wood sealant and then a couple of coats of aircraft dope....this toughened and smoothed over all the wood grain..............and made me very high from the fumes!!! :wacko:

kfd008_zps737ccea0.jpg

2. Next up....get my home built vac forming kit out. This consists basically of a sealed wooden box with holes in and a hoover attachment on the side...see pic............

kfd002_zps4482bac8.jpg

3. The other part of the kit is a wooden frame where the plastic sheet has to be attached...again see the photo of a piece of clear food packaging fastened to the frame.........

kfd004_zpsbff08872.jpg

4. Method of vac forming to those of you who don't know..(and I am sure most of you do ...so apologies to the ones in the know!)...is........place the plug you have made onto the vac box...raising it a few inches off the box with something first..........

kfd012_zps2246830e.jpg

5. Next up switch on your kitchen oven to the highest temp...making sure you take out any pre prepared Sunday dinner that the wife might have prepared earlier :o ....an error I nearly made!!..attach your hoover to the vac box and switch on ....now its time to place the frame with the sheet attached onto the top shelve in the oven , just for a few seconds until you see the plastic wave up and down as it starts to slowly melt!...remember ....A FEW SECONDS ELSE IT WILL MELT!!....as soon as you see the plastic waving at you take it out of the oven (trying not to burn your self ) and push the frame over the plug until the frame touches the vac box...and the hoover does the rest of the job for you!....great fun!!...........

kfd010_zps92f32a55.jpg

6. It should end up looking like this...........

kfd015_zpsfd8a5347.jpg

kfd016_zpsfb19d520.jpg

7. Next up take the frame off the vac box and carefully cut the excess plastic off and prize the plug out.....(be very careful...hardest part)......

kfd018_zpsad5f2845.jpg

8. And here is the end result!!....you might be able to see a hole in the top of the turret glass...this is where I made a small hole to get the plug off!...luckily a bigger hole will be cut later in this area to accommodate the guns in any case..........

PO002_zps9e7af96d.jpg

PO005_zpsda5eb6d9.jpg

So there you have it!

It is great fun vac forming and to build a vac forming kit is dead easy and cost bugger all!!.....depending on the thickness of the plastic sheet you are using depends on how many attempts at getting the it done first time.....my turret worked the second attempt because I used the wrong thickness plastic...I just couldn't seem to get it hot enough to vac form properly...(that's the last time I use my shaving blade plastic packaging!!).....but it doesn't matter how many times you have a go...you will get it in the end.

Now to start work on scratching the top turret.....

Thanks for looking in chaps....

Fozzy

• Like 10

Nice work Fozzy, and thank you for the lesson on vac forming.

Still think that you are slightly un-hinged though. Great reading and watching.

:banghead::banghead:

:bouncy::bouncy:

Simon

Cheers Simon!...un hinged eh? ^_^

I don't think there's anything wrong with Fozzy's hinges

There's worse things than hinges to worrit about round here ;)

But as oftentimes before, I digress

The turret looks damned fine Fozzy, damned fine

I think I may have found the ideal sub contractor for mouldy purpoises here

I should have had faith that you'd know wot it wos wot you'm a'doing of :(

sorry dude

hehehe :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

I don't think there's anything wrong with Fozzy's hinges

There's worse things than hinges to worrit about round here ;)

But as oftentimes before, I digress

The turret looks damned fine Fozzy, damned fine

I think I may have found the ideal sub contractor for mouldy purpoises here

I should have had faith that you'd know wot it wos wot you'm a'doing of :(

sorry dude

hehehe :thumbsup2:

Bill..the only reason I didn't use cyno old chap is that I didn't have much left...and to be honest...not sure how to apply it!! :shrug::blush: ...so would appreciate it if you could educate me my man!!...cheers about the turret!

I do mean it in the nicest way Fozzy, we have all got to be a bit mad at times , just to survive.

It is when you have rusty nuts you start worrying.

Simon.

Simon I know mate....and you can leave my rusty nuts out of it!! ;)

Fozzy.

Welcome back.

A nice lesson there. thanks.

Probably looks better than a coleslaw pot would have.

well I don't know Pete! :hmmm: ....lets see what it looks like all detailed up!!!

• Like 2