Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

Fozzy

Hi there

I managed to almost finish the IP....when I say nearly finished...I mean there is another small panel that is fixed to the right hand side of the main panel which holds the controls for the carburetor air cleaner and engine fire extinguishers..this I will attempt to build next.

So here was my method of making the IP................

Instrument panel

1. First I got a drawing of the IP off the internet and resized it to 1:20 scale................

n001_zps20129d9c.jpg

2. I then cut out the dials individually because the shape of my IP wasn't quite right!! :blush: ....never mind eh?!!! and glued them onto a cut piece of plastic in the shape of the IP............

n003_zps9eded35d.jpg

3. I then cut another piece of plastic to the same shape of the IP and drilled out holes where the instruments are positioned.......

d003_zps5a04e268.jpg

4. The next job was to cover the instruments with the thinnest clear food packaging I could find in my kitchen bin!!...this of course acts as the glass! ;)

d004_zpsea21c607.jpg

5. I then glued the pre cut panel over the other panel with the instruments on................

t001_zpsd578449c.jpg

6. With the use of bits of plastic and wire I then glued all the knobs /buttons and bits and bobs onto the IP!!!..............

garden002_zps5257086f.jpg

7. Applied some black paint.............

k001_zpsc8be532b.jpg

8. Then I finished painting all the appropriate bits...............

w003_zpsfd927487.jpg

9. ..............and finally glued the panel into the Cockpit....here are a couple of pics........

h001_zps44002623.jpg

h012_zpse99e906c.jpg

It took me 3 odd days but I'm happy with the end result.

On with that other small panel now

Thanks for looking in :)

Fozzy

• Like 6

you clever clever chap you

as we says here in Brum

That's bostin' mate

And it simply doesn't surprise me at all

(he lied!)

Oh dear this is going to require something special to eclipse it :thumbsup:

wow

Thanks to Simon...Wellsprop...Brian (eh up lad!!)...Bill...and Trevor....thank you guys for continuing to support this build ! :)

Wait till you see what he does with the engines and the waist-gun positions...

Engines?...waist gun positions?.....We need a serious chat Brian!! ;)

Ohh my G!
I've been away from this thread for too long. This is soooo great.
I'm going to borrow (steal) those machine guns for my Spitfire. They are just brilliant. I will have to "scale" them down to a .303 but I will sure be looking at all the details.

Job well done!

I've a serious complaint to make, Fozzy; just discovered this build and have just paged through all 19 pages of thread. Not only has my tea gone cold, but I have the early stages of RSI forming in my hand (from scrolling, I hasten to add :D )!! And there's a trail of dribble down the front of my shirt!! :wacko:

Am absolutely inspired by this build - extraordinary - and I will now be following it with great interest. I can definitely see a book out of this. I'd have a couple of copies for cert. Just a thought, but the Sally B people at Duxford may be good to talk to (although she's a green one) about some kind of cooperation. Or perhaps one of the US operators.

I was lucky enough to have a look inside Sally B and it's fantastic seeing a 1/20 version!

So, once finished, are you going to take it on tour? Book an extra seat on the plane for the model?! Special stand and presentations at Telford this year (or next year, depending on how you get on?!).

Keep up the extraordinary work!

Andrew

Looks good enough to fly!

Superb scratch work on display here...

Tom

Thanks Tom!

Ohh my G!

I've been away from this thread for too long. This is soooo great.

I'm going to borrow (steal) those machine guns for my Spitfire. They are just brilliant. I will have to "scale" them down to a .303 but I will sure be looking at all the details.

Job well done!

Cheers Finn.....Pm on its way to you! ;)

I've a serious complaint to make, Fozzy; just discovered this build and have just paged through all 19 pages of thread. Not only has my tea gone cold, but I have the early stages of RSI forming in my hand (from scrolling, I hasten to add :D )!! And there's a trail of dribble down the front of my shirt!! :wacko:

Am absolutely inspired by this build - extraordinary - and I will now be following it with great interest. I can definitely see a book out of this. I'd have a couple of copies for cert. Just a thought, but the Sally B people at Duxford may be good to talk to (although she's a green one) about some kind of cooperation. Or perhaps one of the US operators.

I was lucky enough to have a look inside Sally B and it's fantastic seeing a 1/20 version!

So, once finished, are you going to take it on tour? Book an extra seat on the plane for the model?! Special stand and presentations at Telford this year (or next year, depending on how you get on?!).

Keep up the extraordinary work!

Andrew

Cheers Andrew....I will keep the Duxford thing in mind.......I am toying with the idea of doing some sort of book on scratch building ,maybe in the not too distant future....as for displaying this at Telford...I would have to get it back to the UK first!...you see I live in Bulgaria (I am English!)....I normally put my work on display at the International model competitions here...in the Capitol , Sofia ....as for this year....might not have the time :(

Hi again

This post is all about trying to complete the actual Instrument panel...and I think I have done it! :hmmm:

In my last post I mentioned that I had to replicate the right hand side of the IP.....well here is my effort before attaching it to the IP...

m001_zps916f5775.jpg

.........and bellow that on the right hand side there is a Inter cooler Temperature box....so here is my attempt at that..........

m007_zps1fabf5fa.jpg

I then glued both those pieces onto the IP and into the cockpit...here it is.......................

m002_zpsfb78813b.jpg

m017_zpsee644c80.jpg

m009_zps64acd56b.jpg

To finish off the detailing of the IP I scratched the the buttons and switches on top of the panel and wired them all up........

m021_zps1da903bb.jpg

m011_zpsadba6a6f.jpg

So that's the IP sorted!.......of course there is all the other controls and switches (throttle quadrant etc) to do as yet but I will start over on the pilots side wall next...followed by the Co pilots side wall.

I have visitors coming to stay for a few weeks so the posts will slow down a bit!....but will come back as soon as I have done some more work!

Thanks again for looking in :)

Fozzy

Edited by Fozzy
  • Like 11

How are we going to cope without our regular fix of modelling genius from Bulgaria?

Could you not tell your visitors you have galloping diptherscurvy or something and need to remain in quarantine so you can keep up the modelling?

Or convert them to modelling and use their stay as a scratch building school??

Well, I'll gladly go with the howling wolves here... Fozzy, you're doing one hell of a job and you are truly an inspiration.

• Like 1

Hi there

I managed to almost finish the IP....when I say nearly finished...I mean there is another small panel that is fixed to the right hand side of the main panel which holds the controls for the carburetor air cleaner and engine fire extinguishers..this I will attempt to build next.

So here was my method of making the IP................

Instrument panel

1. First I got a drawing of the IP off the internet and resized it to 1:20 scale................

n001_zps20129d9c.jpg

2. I then cut out the dials individually because the shape of my IP wasn't quite right!! :blush: ....never mind eh?!!! and glued them onto a cut piece of plastic in the shape of the IP............

n003_zps9eded35d.jpg

3. I then cut another piece of plastic to the same shape of the IP and drilled out holes where the instruments are positioned.......

d003_zps5a04e268.jpg

4. The next job was to cover the instruments with the thinnest clear food packaging I could find in my kitchen bin!!...this of course acts as the glass! ;)

d004_zpsea21c607.jpg

5. I then glued the pre cut panel over the other panel with the instruments on................

t001_zpsd578449c.jpg

6. With the use of bits of plastic and wire I then glued all the knobs /buttons and bits and bobs onto the IP!!!..............

garden002_zps5257086f.jpg

7. Applied some black paint.............

k001_zpsc8be532b.jpg

8. Then I finished painting all the appropriate bits...............

w003_zpsfd927487.jpg

9. ..............and finally glued the panel into the Cockpit....here are a couple of pics........

h001_zps44002623.jpg

h012_zpse99e906c.jpg

It took me 3 odd days but I'm happy with the end result.

On with that other small panel now

Thanks for looking in :)

Fozzy