Total Scratch build of the front end of a B17G!

Fozzy

so impressive. awesome work.

Oliver

Cheers Oliver...I have just finished the gun mounts ...should be able to post today!

I still think you should consider writing a book to explain your techniques. I am sure someone amongst the BM membership would be willing to help...

Hi Brian....I still think about doing that one day....only if to show the way I do it in comparison to other modellers techniques....but at the moment I just have too much going on! :( ...but one day I will definitely have a go!

Madness! You are an incredibly talented man.

Cheers Hazza! ;)

Hi chaps

Today Brianthemodeller.suggested that maybe I should explain my techniques by writing a book of some sorts...well I replied that lack of time at the moment made it impossible but it kind of fired me up to try to explain .....(just for this post)....the techniques I use when trying to put something together.

Its not rocket science and I am sure many of you "scratch builders" do exactly the same as I do ...or similar ....but for those of you who have never even attempted a bit of scratch building ..this is for you.....apologies to everyone who know how to do this.

Making the Gun support frames for the cheek guns.

So in my last post I made the 50 caliber guns for the cheek position on this build...all that I have to do now is make the frame it sits in.....so to start I decided to choose the materials to use to make it.......that is very simple for me as I use the same materials most of the time....scrap plastic ...electrical wire...and a lot of glue!!!

This first photo shows most of the parts I will use ....some of the pieces I have already cut to shape.

partsforthegunmount_zpsa5f5d97a.jpg

I might add at this time that I have many photos of the gun frame on my computer screen beside me for reference and its just a case of looking at the photo's and down scaling the parts to fit my gun frame.......I try to imagine an exploded diagram of what I am trying to scratch...and start with the bulk of the subject and then attach parts to it.

Time and patients are required for any scratch building as you can see in this next photo of the gun sight .This took some time but with practice (like anything) it becomes easier each time you do it....all it is ..is a length of copper wire (the right thickness is essential)..........

gunsight_zps24211ddd.jpg

So I have already made the Gun so its time to attach the pre prepared parts to it ....time to get the super glue out!!! ;)

Here are a few photos with all the parts on....each gun took an afternoon to complete....so we are talking about 2 1/2 days to complete.....see what I mean about patients? :o

partsassembled_zpsc99bb8a4.jpg

partsassembled3_zpse4f56ab8.jpg

partsassembled4_zps39d917e7.jpg

partsassembled6_zps2b411a10.jpg

partsassembled5_zps63c69335.jpg

partsassembled2_zpscda301c7.jpg

partsassembled1_zps674c95e8.jpg

Too be continued.........................

• Like 4

So now all we have to do is paint it.

Now personally I think this is the most important part!!

Painting

1. First I paint the entire piece the appropriate colours.....I personally use enamel paints.. always have done and always will.

2. I now seal the paint with a lacquer of sorts..( I use Johnson Klear....yes I know you cant get hold of it any more ...its because I

have bought the whole stock up !! ;) )

3. I then dry brush a silver paint on to highlight the detail....white is also really good for that job!

4. Next up I give the whole thing a wash in Turpentine (you must leave the painted part over night before doing this else all your paint will strip!!)....and then apply oil paints (just a wash...not too much...be subtle!!!)....I usually use black /burnt umber...this method will bring your scratch build part to life.

5. Finally I give certain areas another dry brush with a silver paint.

Now this seems a lot of work but I think if you don't do this .(well some of the things I have suggested!)...then the piece you are trying to portray just seems............flat .........for want of a better word!....

Here's the finished frame..............

completedgunsintheirmounts3_zps811cb4c6.

completedgunsintheirmounts2_zps6f1c11f6.

completedgunsintheirmounts_zpse0041314.j

completedgunsintheirmounts1_zpsee05124d.

completedgunsintheirmounts4_zps5a076216.

completedgunsintheirmounts5_zps465e00a4.

completedgunsintheirmounts9_zps39089c3b.

completedgunsintheirmounts8_zps77720677.

completedgunsintheirmounts6_zps6a1f882a.

completedgunsintheirmounts7_zpsfb3eb957.

So there you go!

I do hope you haven't found this post too pretentious :unsure: ...I just like to share ideas ...that's all.

That's it for today. Next up I will place the guns in their positions and wire them up!!

Thanks for looking in chaps :)

Fozzy

• Like 7

Really inspiring stuff. Seeing this thread has certainly inspired me to start scratching. Very much a beginner at it and doubt I will ever be able to do anything this ambitious.

Knowing how tough its been to work on the tiny things I am working on I can really appreciate just how much thought must be going into this one.

Hats of to you Its FAB !

I just hope you do the rest of the Airframe too. Seems a shame not too when you have gone to the trouble of doing this much.

Cheers Rob :)

I just hope you do the rest of the Airframe too. Seems a shame not too when you have gone to the trouble of doing this much.

Cheers Rob :)

Well I don't know about that Rob....do something else first I reckon then maybe tackle the next part!! ;)

• Like 1

Well I don't know about that Rob....do something else first I reckon then maybe tackle the next part!! ;)

I am enjoying it whatever happens. Sure better than watching TV ! :)

• Like 1

Hi Fozzy,

Great build as usual and with regard to building the guns (or the whole build for that matter), are you using drawings or do you scratchbuild from photos and by eye, if that makes sense?

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Fozzy,

Great build as usual and with regard to building the guns (or the whole build for that matter), are you using drawings or do you scratchbuild from photos and by eye, if that makes sense?

Cheers,

Tony

Hi Tony

Cheers mate. It makes Perfect sense...

Photos and by eye

Just a quick up date.

I decided not to put the cheek guns in place at the moment....they would only get in the way and might break off when I am constructing the cockpit..........talking of which......................

nb005_zps188a959d.jpg

Oh deary deary me (well actually I didn't say quite that!!!! blowup.gif )

I started to do the cockpit ceiling detail when I realized that the whole thing was far too thick.....hence the photo!......working on it now to try and correct it all....I'll get back to you all in about a year!!! unsure.png ....

Im afraid I have neglected this build badly Foz. Those 50 cals though. Awesome!

yes but your house hunting are you not?.....so I will forgive you!! ;)

• Like 1

Just caught back up with this one, the workmanship is incredible and the guns look like they could actually be fired!

Martin