Esci 1:48 F-4B/J - A/M and decals?

bootneck

I have bought an Esci 1:48 Phantom F-4B/J but it doesn't have any instructions or decals; therefore I have the opportunity to do some enhancements with it. I don't normally build in 1:48 so this is a little unknown territory for me.

I would be grateful to learn from anyone here as to what after-market parts and decals would be recommended for this kit. At the moment I have not planned any type or theme so am open to suggestions as to what versions/variations can be built using this kit as a basis.

Cheers

Mike

I'm surprised no-one's replied so far but what you can't do with the kit is a B, completely different animal to what the kit is.

I'd recommend a pair of bang seats. Hannants have Aries seats at 6.30 a pair. http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4142

You may be able to shoehorn a resin cockpit in there but it'll probably be designed to go in the Hasegawa kit rather than the Esci (and the Italeri reboxing of it) kit

Plenty of decals out there for it, it's more a case of what you fancy doing rather than what's available. Don't look at the F-4B, F-4N, long nose F-4s or Brit F-4s.

However, you could do an F-4J(UK) when the RAF bought a dozen F-4Js to plug a gap. And Hannants do a decal sheet for them in 74 Tiger sqdn markings: http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48080A. Not sure whether you'd need the LE slats though, you'd have to look into that.

The kit has both USN and USAF inner pylons, though I don't know which nose door (USN or USAF) comes with the kit.

Other Phantom experts will no doubt post more info but here's a review of the kit which might help.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/previews/Italeri/2642preview.htm

Edited by neilscrim

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised no-one's replied so far but what you can't do with the kit is a B, completely different animal to what the kit is.

I'd recommend a pair of bang seats. Hannants have Aries seats at 6.30 a pair. http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4142

You may be able to shoehorn a resin cockpit in there but it'll probably be designed to go in the Hasegawa kit rather than the Esci (and the Italeri reboxing of it) kit

Plenty of decals out there for it, it's more a case of what you fancy doing rather than what's available. Don't look at the F-4B, F-4N, long nose F-4s or Brit F-4s.

However, you could do an F-4J(UK) when the RAF bought a dozen F-4Js to plug a gap. And Hannants do a decal sheet for them in 74 Tiger sqdn markings: http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48080A. Not sure whether you'd need the LE slats though, you'd have to look into that.

The kit has both USN and USAF inner pylons, though I don't know which nose door (USN or USAF) comes with the kit.

Other Phantom experts will no doubt post more info but here's a review of the kit which might help.

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/previews/Italeri/2642preview.htm

Hello Mike, as mentioned neilscrim, from that kit, you can not build a kit or F4B F4N,the peculiarity is thin wing feature, it is clear that from this kit you can build a F4C/D/J quietly and with a little more work a

S. The A/M offers a mountain of detail sets and decals, now you have to see you, what you like and how much you want to spend.

Courage and enjoy the model is easy and beautiful already from Box.

Bye Linus :mental:

The ESCI (and Italeri re-release) has a few issues you may want to address -

1 - Decals for cockpit

2 - Shallow afterburner cans

3 - Nose gear door and main wheels are not Navy/Marine type

4 - Prominent ejector marks/ locator pins in the intakes.

Depending on how you feel about time vs money vs "scrounging", there are few routes. (I must admit that I've done some "scrounging" in several builds.)

Route 1 - Scrounging!

Find someone who has used an aftermarket cockpit and afterburners in thier Hasegawa F-4J and have a trade to get the leftover kit cockpit and afterburner can parts.

Route 2 - Aftermarket leaning on the "cheap and cheerful" side!

I recommend replacing the kit cockpit with True Details F-4J cockpit. (Alternatively, simply replace the seats with an aftermarket set and keep the canopies closed.)

I recommend replacement of the wheels and nose gear door with Royale Resin products -> Royale Resin F-4 parts

I recommend replacement of the afterburner cans with items from Cobra Company -> F-4 Cans. Note these come 4 to a package, so you'll have enough for 2 Phantoms.

I recommend covering up the intakes with covers. A guy here in the US makes a lot of low-cost/high-value updates for the Phantom - Steel Beach F-4 Items (My build thread utilized several pieces from the Steel Beach catalogue on a Monogram F-4 -> My F-4 Build

You could always go with aftermarket items from AIRES, but thier prices a pretty dear on this side of the pond.

Route 3 - Spend a little time instead of money.

Take a look at this outstanding build -> Borz666 F-4 <- for inspiration. There was another nice ESCI/ Italeri build with outstanding scratchbuilding skills posted on this site, but I can't seem to find it.

Edited by John B

As others have said - this kit is not and F-4B. It's an early F-4J only.

Mine showed fin front RWR fairing on the boxart - not in the kit.

It doesn't have the DECM fairings on the air intakes - which precludes late Js, and the RAF ones.

I never considered USAF versions, as I had Navy decals.

This kit has been well overtaken in quality by the likes of Hasegawa - hence I didn't invest any extras in it.

I scrounged that extended nose-leg, and scratched the flaps+slats.

Mine is documented in World Naval Forces GB of 2009.:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/25214-tims-f4j-phantom/

AA_F4J002-7.jpg

Got to say, I'd forgotten what a pile of junk the kit actually is - but Best of Luck Mike!

Edited by theplasticsurgeon

..........Got to say, I'd forgotten what a pile of junk the kit actually is - but Best of Luck Mike!

Sounds about the level of my modelling so I'm sure the kit and I will both fit in well together :-)

Mike

It's not all that bad a kit, it simply suffers from being a F-4E kit with short-nose parts added which has been used as a basis for a poor Naval Phantom conversion. Essentially they just stuck a new set of pylons into the short-nose boxing and called it a day.

I've built one as D and it's not bad. It's no Hasegawa kit, but in some ways it's nicer than the Monogram kit (recessed panel lines and less challenging intake fit), although overall my preference for a cheap short-nose Phantom remains the Monogram kit for the nicer cockpit and cans.