Medivac aircraft in Afghanistan

Shaun

While watching the new excellent series Combat Rescue on TV the past few weeks one thing comes to mind.

Why don't medivac aircraft in Afghanistan carry Red cross markings?

There are probably a load of good reasons but I though this quite odd, when you look back at other conflicts?

Shaun.

Some helicopters such as RAF Chinooks are not just used in the medivac role and are used as normal transport so would not be having the Red Cross on at that time, so the insignia would always be being applied and removed depending on what role it was carrying out.

Medivac army helicopters "Dustoff" Blackhawks do ,they can not be armed, The USAF HH-60s do not carry the red cross because they are combat search and rescue helicopters, part of SOCOM, job is if required to fight their way in or out.

Video of Dustoff here

Medivac army helicopters "Dustoff" Blackhawks do ,they can not be armed, The USAF HH-60s do not carry the red cross because they are combat search and rescue helicopters, part of SOCOM, job is if required to fight their way in or out.

Thought it would be the armed bit that may prevented them being true Medivacs.

Has anyone else seen the series?.

I'm enjoying it even though its a bit graphic in places, but that's the reality of war.

Shaun.

They don't have red crosses as their adversaries do not respect the rules of armed conflict.

Medivacs/medics could carry weapons for self defense.

I watch the series, very graphic. I belong to an air rescue group which uses the series for training of our flight nurses and paramedics. The only difference is we don't carry weapons in our helo's but most the people we fly are critically ill.

Edited by Scooby

The USAF used the C-9 Nightengale (military version of McDonnell Douglas DC-9 airliner), for many years as a Medevac plane. It was unarmed and intended to carry wounded troops from areas somewhat behind the battle lines to larger hospitals where they could receive proper care. The C-9 carried a big red cross on the white tail up until the last couple of years. They had to be removed because the C-9s were occasionally used to transport cargo, VIPs etc. Since they were not 100% medevac, somebody, somewhere said we were breaking the rules and not playing "fair". What a bunch of BS.

Darwin

As best I can tell it has to do with how the aircraft are being used (i.e. in multiple roles) and displaying of the Red Cross (or Red Crescent) symbols in compliance with the Geneva Convenstion and Protocols. Here's an article from the US Army addressing the subject arising from the use of Medivac helicopters in Afghanistan http://www.army.mil/article/72250/

Edited by louiex2

Thought it would be the armed bit that may prevented them being true Medivacs.

Has anyone else seen the series?.

I'm enjoying it even though its a bit graphic in places, but that's the reality of war.

Shaun.

Brilliant series very well made, of course now I've got the hankering to build a model of the chopper they use! Especially the fetching moustache it's sporting!