Heinkel He113 Propaganda Jager

Heinkel He113 Propaganda Jager (Heinkel He100D-0)

1/72 Special Hobby SH72115, included in box was PE parts.

OOB, ModelMaster paint, swastikas from spare box (too large), EZ Line fine antenna wire.

Fitting the Canopy was difficult, seemed too large, had also "a few" other problems :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

• Like 8

Your build is an example of why I love this forum, every day I learn something. Having never seen this aircraft before I'm now off looking it up and enjoying your pictures and great build.

Wag

Your build is an example of why I love this forum, every day I learn something. Having never seen this aircraft before I'm now off looking it up and enjoying your pictures and great build.

Wag

I believe it was a racing plane/experimental prototype, painted up in Luftwaffe colours to give the impression they had incredibly fast fighters for the 36 Olympics.

I believe it was a racing plane/experimental prototype, painted up in Luftwaffe colours to give the impression they had incredibly fast fighters for the 36 Olympics.

Actually no. It was a full fledged private venture fighter project by Heinkel in the hopes of obtaining a production contract. The actual designation was He-100. The designation He-113 was invented later for propaganda purposes. One of the prototypes, the He-100V8 was used for an assault on the world speed record mated with a specially modified DB601 engine, and it achieved a record of 463 mph in 1939. A dozen examples of the definitive fighter version, the He-100D-1 were produced but Heinkel failed to get a production contract. Three were sold to the USSR and the rest were used by the Propaganda Ministry in a hoax in which they were repeatedly photographed in different unit markings and the photos released depicting "the Luftwaffe's new fighter plane" and called the He-113.

The airplane had a very high performance and was significantly faster than the contemporary version of the Bf-109, the Bf-109E. I think though if it had been put in production for the Luftwaffe, although the performance was excellent, in the long run the very small size of the airframe might have presented difficulties as the war progressed and the need inevitably arose for heavier armaments and carrying greater loads. Definitely an interesting airplane and a great subject for the "what if" discussions.

British intelligence featured the aircraft in AIR 40/237, a report on the Luftwaffe that was completed in 1940. Reports of 113s encountered and shot down were listed throughout the early years of the war :)