1/72 - Fouga CM.170R Magister/Tzukit & CM.175 Zéphyr by Special Hobby - released - new boxing

Homebee

Good afternoon Wez

First of all I am not an expert regarding the Zephyr or Magister but I think that all the parts for a Magister are in the box of the Zeghyr and I remember reading here on Brittmodeller that someone from SH wrote that the parts for the Magister were in the box ..

Patrice

Patrice,

I spent about 1/2 an hour last night looking at all the different parts and I agree, they're all there so a Magister could be made from the kit.

There are one or two areas where I'm not entirely sure which parts are used where but you can glean about 90% from what's in front of you. Two areas I'm a little unsure of are the nosewheel bay and the cockpit sills.

On the whole I'm mightily impressed with this little kit.

Wez

Patrice,

I spent about 1/2 an hour last night looking at all the different parts and I agree, they're all there so a Magister could be made from the kit.

There are one or two areas where I'm not entirely sure which parts are used where but you can glean about 90% from what's in front of you. Two areas I'm a little unsure of are the nosewheel bay and the cockpit sills.

On the whole I'm mightily impressed with this little kit.

Wez

Good morning Wez

I am also very impressed by this kit cheaper than the Valom one and I think it will be easier to build ..

I plan to build a french and an Israeli Magister in the future I am waiting fot the Magister boxing to be available and will just follow with the notice ..

I also expect the Mirage F1 to be released this year ..

Regards ..

Patrice

• 4 weeks later...

Question- it appears that the 1/72 Zephyr release contains all of the parts for all planned releases with only the decals and box art changing. I see lots of unused parts in my Zephyr kits including extra nose and tail units, armament etc.

If this is true, can anyone identify the inboard pylons parts used by the rocket pods for the armed (IDF) version. ? I've had to change my plans mid-build due to losing the tail hook part. This is easy enough except for locating those pylons. Help!

• 2 months later...

Wes.. I agree, but I can't find the pylons fir the rocket pods (IDF) armed version.

Sorry, just seen this :doh: - I'll take a look later to see if I can suss it out.

Hello!

Fouga Magister coming in February 2016:

source:

http://www.mpmkits.net/2015/11/sh72284-fouga-magister-exotic-air.html

I think it's a shame they chose not to make this scheme:

FOUGA-2.jpg

Actually, I'd prefer some standard French training unit schemes, we've had the Patrouille De France scheme many times.

Nice to see some different versions in stead of the usual fare. Yes that looks ex IDF to me.

Yes it is nice to have some different schemes, I'll check the MMP book on the provenance of the Ugandan Magisters when I get home.

Roll on February

Edited by Wez

What I would like to have - is a comparative review of MPM and Valom kits. Plus Airfix/Heller.

I really want to add a Magister in my collection - maybe not one - but it's always a hard choice with several kits available.

I'm sure MPM/SH will build much better and it is much more detailed. But I wonder if it might have same strange shape deviations like MPM's Vampire and Huey Cobra?

What I would like to have - is a comparative review of MPM and Valom kits. Plus Airfix/Heller.

I really want to add a Magister in my collection - maybe not one - but it's always a hard choice with several kits available.

I'm sure MPM/SH will build much better and it is much more detailed. But I wonder if it might have same strange shape deviations like MPM's Vampire and Huey Cobra?

Hi Dennis,

When Zephyr came out and as it has plastics also for the Magister I compared it to three sets of recent drawings from Mushroom book, Irish perspective and about Finnish aviation industry. At least two if not three different artists. Both SH and Valom matched them well. For myself I would like to see SH air intakes built as I'm a bit skeptic for their shape. On the other hand both Valom and Heller share quite similar noses looking a bit of for me. Airfix even more - too small landing light and angular canopy. On the plus side great small parts.

I would rank them in the order: SH, Valom, Heller, Airfix. SH and Valom might change the order, if there are buildability issues with the SH.

Cheers,

AaCee

About the intake: If you look them from front I think that they taper to fast looking more like "C" than "U". But it seems for me that the prototypes/pre-production planes might have had different shape there. Maybe someone knowing the plane better might comment?

Cheers,

AaCee

AaCee,

The intakes are definitely more C shaped than U but I believe it can be corrected or at least made to look more correct.

Wes.. I agree, but I can't find the pylons fir the rocket pods (IDF) armed version.

I think you need parts 96 and 97 which are on the same sprue as the wing upper surfaces.

I think many more boxings to follow including Armee de l'Air, other European users and IDF

Edit: is that Ugandan Magister an ex-Israeli one?

The Ugandan Magisters were provided by Israel, the Ugandans had trouble maintaining them though. The Israeli's apparently took them back.

It certainly seems to be a good match for the plans in the MMP book, I haven't had chance to compare it to the Heller kit (which is the only other kit of the type I have). AaCee has had the chance to compare them so I'm happy to take his word for it.

Fingers crossed that ModelART will do some standard French Sqn markings.

Edited by Wez

• 3 months later...

Well I finally got my CM.170 Magister on Friday and I'm very pleased. As predicted the plastic is the same between the two kits, the Magister kit however, includes some additional resin parts, these are for the Loop and supports for the Sense aerials for the ADF system fitted to the Algerian and Moroccan options.

The decals for all of the options are beautifully printed, my personal favourite are the Lebanese scheme followed by the Ugandan scheme. It's good to see more unusual air arms being represented in kits.

It's a thumbs up from me, I will be buying more :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice enough schemes and of course I'll buy at least one.

Would really prefer French schemes though.

• Like 2

Seems strange to me that the regular after market decal companies such as Xtradecal or Caracal haven't done anything with this rather low hanging fruit. I'm in the market for French and Belgian Fougas by the way, if a producer is listening. 

Jay

Edited by Mountain goat

2 minutes ago, Mountain goat said:

Seems strange to me that after market companies haven't done anything with this rather low hanging fruit. I'm in the market for French and Belgian Fougas by the way, if a producer is listening. 

Jay

Good evening Jay

I hope that Berna decals will produce a decal sheet  for the French Air Force Aircraft ?

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Jay

I hope that Berna decals will produce a decal sheet  for the French Air Force Aircraft ?

Best Regards

Patrice

Ah yes, of course, you're right - I am hoping too!

Jay 

19 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Jay

Best Regards

Patrice

Berna or Model Art, either of those would be great.

• Like 1