Airfix Hurricane IVRP - finished

Just love this model! I built several of these as a kid. Great effect of the rocket - some V1 site is about to get smacked by the look of it. I'm so full of admiration for the pilots of these aircraft so late in the war

Niiiiccceeee work!!

• 1 month later...

Quick question , how did you get the spinning prop effect ? Is got a motor ?

And what you use for your canopy ?

I have a missing rear canopy for my 1/32 Lizzie might need to try this !

Cheers Mick

Quick question , how did you get the spinning prop effect ? Is got a motor ?

And what you use for your canopy ?

I have a missing rear canopy for my 1/32 Lizzie might need to try this !

Cheers Mick

Hi Mick,

Spinning prop effect - one shortly-to-be-out-of-breath daughter who happened to be passing...

I use thin plastic, taken from packaging. Over-packaged cakes, cheesecakes and chocolates have provided me with fine material in the past, otherwise 10 thou clear PETG sheets from ebay work. Bubble packaging tends to turn white for me when re-heated, but I think that varies.

The canopy had a master made from balsa, sealed with superglue and sanded a couple of times to smooth it out and fill the grain. I vac-formed the canopy but if you are just doing a U-shaped one you might be able to heat some plastic over a flame and wrap it over your master with a gentle pull (use bulldog clips to protect your fingers and keep an even tension along the side of the plastic sheet). You may even be able to pull it over a rounded shape like a felt tip to get the radius and hold the sides at the right angle to get the channel shape.

Good luck - it's not as hard as it looks. But make sure you have some spare plastic!

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1