E.E. Lightning Single Type Group Build

• 2 weeks later...

Dates Ok for me. The Airfix (F2 and "F3")kits should be out by then! :whistle:

An update: Now we have the F2A readily available, is that at least we will have the F6 that should be out in time for the GB. :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Very likely to be joining you all in this GB.
New Airfix F2a kit has just been received in post.

I'll be building the blue tail NMF option.

I've build this Matchbox F2A twice
MatchboxLightningF2Aport.jpg
And am about to refurb this one with the green Airfix decals.
MatchboxLightningF2Aflying.jpg

And now it's refurbished thus:
a5ba8e0a-28ba-464c-a3d3-d72d0c213873_zps

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 1

do you want some inspiration for the layout? i made 1

Was yours the Atlantian Air Force one in the splinter camouflage? Impressive. Me like! However, I decided on a different approach as follows ;

Fuselage & tail fin assembly of the KP 1/48 Sukhoi SU-7. It does after all have a HUMUNGOUS single engine under the bonnet already. I'll use the fin assembly purely because it follows the curves of the rear fuselage.

Cockpit, undercarriage, belly tank, wings & tail planes from the Airfix Lightning F6

Full width nose radome with side intakes a la Sukhoi T-49

2 X radar guided Red Hawk BFMs (Big F****** Missiles!) :lol: (probably scratch build these or,modify some suitable alternative) on over wing mounts

2 x Red Top AAMs on under wing or, wing tip launchers.

I'm already having cold sweats over this!! (pauses to reach for another large Malt!!) :D

I chose the SU-7 largely because the layout and overall dimensions are broadly similar. The finished article will however most definitely be recognisable as a Lightning

Allan

Was yours the Atlantian Air Force one in the splinter camouflage? Impressive. Me like! However, I decided on a different approach as follows ;

Fuselage & tail fin assembly of the KP 1/48 Sukhoi SU-7. It does after all have a HUMUNGOUS single engine under the bonnet already. I'll use the fin assembly purely because it follows the curves of the rear fuselage.

Cockpit, undercarriage, belly tank, wings & tail planes from the Airfix Lightning F6

Full width nose radome with side intakes a la Sukhoi T-49

2 X radar guided Red Hawk BFMs (Big F****** Missiles!) :lol: (probably scratch build these or,modify some suitable alternative) on over wing mounts

I'm already having cold sweats over this!! (pauses to reach for another large Malt!!) :D

I chose the SU-7 largely because the layout and overall dimensions are broadly similar. The finished article will however most definitely be recognisable as a Lightning

Allan

yeh that was mine and i love the sound of yours :)

Freightdog Red Deans, perhaps?

Hi Col

I've done no modelling recently, life is crazy - I'm moving to Nigeria on January 5th.

However all my modelling kit is coming including a few Lightnings, so count me in. I'll have lots of idle time!

Dan

Hey Dan, good to hear from you but sorry life has been keeping you away from the workbench, hope you get established easily enough in Nigeria. Let me know how you're getting on and look forward to seeing some new models taking shape sometime soon.

• 7 months later...

Welcome to the party gentlemen :D

Still some time to clear the workbench for all those kits of English Electric's finest fighter.

Nimrod54 - the 25% lets you make a small start to the kit before entering any GB. Or you could inadvertently finish it and therefore have to buy another :whistle:

Enzo - 'cause you have no other kits in the stash of course :wicked:

• Like 2