E.E. Lightning Single Type Group Build

Still!!! I'll be in!!! I may even crack open my Echelon F6/F2A specially for the occassion!!

That would be quite something to see Bill.

Can't wait - will probably go with whatever Airfix 1/72 goodies are available at the time - failing that, I have one or two (ahem, dozen) 1/48 machines in the stash....and a couple of Aeroclub T5 conversions....

SD

• Like 1

In a fit of madness I'll be up for this. T-Bird in 48th with the nice new Neomega conversion. I shall peruse the Firestreak decal sets for something suitable.

Is there a decent one stop reference for the Lightning in general and T-Birds in particular?

With the BGTS running they may be in service when we finish :thumbsup:

Edited by SleeperService

Talk earlier in this thread of the Saudi ones reminds me of my first ATC camp in 1968 at Coltishall. All four of the two seaters were there! 55-711 to 55-714. We got shown around one of them. Also on the strength of 226OCU was The very well known XM192!! It was at this camp that I got to love the Frightning!!

• Like 1

As a little boy living in rural Norfolk the Lightnings left a big impact on me - I think I was 4 (1970ish) when I saw a 4 ship take-off into the vertical at Coltishall.

That moment probably sealed my fate with a lifetime interest in aviation, the RAF and model making.

*Really* looking forward to this group build...

Iain

• Like 1

First time I seen a Lightning in real life was as it approached at just above Mach1 during an airshow in the early 80s. My mum turned to my dad and I saying, "What a lovely quiet aeroplane." Not quite sure what she said just after it passed by as I had a finger in both ears and the ground was shaking...

• Like 3

There was an airshow in Gutersloh in the mid-80s. The USAFE sent an F-15 which did a spectacular display. The American groundcrew cheered every move, especially when the jet climbed steeply from the runway and accelerated in the climb to about 8000 feet.

Then a Lightning followed the F-15. As it taxied out of the HAS site, the Americans were calling it an "ugly-assed jet" which I suppose it is. The Lighning taxied to the far end of the runway and took off, keeping low until it reached our HAS site. Then it did the trademark Lightning square turn and just went up... and up... and up... and up... It just didn't stop or level off. It disappeared into a cloudless blue sky. For all we knew, it could have gone into orbit!

The American groundcrew types where stunned into silence! :lol:

• Like 4

Here another one: when Lightnings were mimicing Argentinean Mirages in DACM training against FAA's SHAR crews, during work-ups before the Falklands, their pilots were prohibited from using ABs (so they could mimic Mirages 'in more realistic fashion'). :P

Edited by Tom Cooper
  • Like 1

Similar to Enzo's story, Mildenhall on a sunny show-day.

USAF F-15A and Lightning line up at the end of the runway, they start moving, part way down the Lightning gets airborne by retracting it's undercarriage and square turns for orbit. By the time the F-15 was gear-up you couldn't even hear the Lightning anymore.

I'm pretty sure that was the moment my then-girlfriends young brother decided on the RAF as a career, I bet he wasn't the only one.

• Like 4

Ah a lightning group build must partake in this. Now let me see shall I do the 1/32 Trumpeter F3 , F6 or the 1/32 Echelon F6 decisions decisions.

Echelon!

The Trumpeter kits don't depict Lightnings. :fool:

• Like 1