E.E. Lightning Single Type Group Build

:yahoo:

Thanks Mish. Right gang, it's official, we have a little less than a year to gather kits and bits for this one. Go go go!

At the moment I've both the 48th scale Airfix kits in the stash with a pile of resin to suit and a selection of reference books so think I'm sorted...

hmm now whether to build an an Airfix 1/72 or 1/48, guess it will depend on what else i've committed too!

Got all the info, just need the beasty.......and possibly decals, will be going for a camo version! :D

• Like 1

1:32 F Mk 1A 111 Sqn - Sqn Ldr George Black

And prolly some other Lightning shaped pointy stuff...

Just need someone to extract a digit and get those correction sets done - someone give him a kick for me... ;)

Iain

• Like 1

Just been checking STGB's I've committed to for next year and things are quiet in the second half so count me in for this. Not sure what with yet, but I do have a Revell 1/144th F.6 that could be a bit of fun to make.

• Like 1

can we postpone it if ians correction kit isnt out by then?

No. What we do is we have a sub-category where people build their kit as if Ian's correction kit had been available, making corrections to the basic kit in line with what they think Ian will do. And then when it does become available, we have another GB to assess how close we were... :D

No. What we do is we have a sub-category where people build their kit as if Ian's correction kit had been available, making corrections to the basic kit in line with what they think Ian will do. And then when it does become available, we have another GB to assess how close we were... :D

lol

Anybody thinking of some RSAF or KAF Lightnings?

Guess that a F.Mk. 53 with all the 'feathers' it could carry above and below wings might be an interesting topic.

BTW, I'll be at Telford as well. One can usually find me around the stand of The Aviation Bookshop. So, if I might help with any kind of tips, feel free to saturate me with questions there.

• Like 1

That's very kind of you Tom. A Saudi or Kuwati machine will make for a nice change and as you say can be loaded up. I've only seen one photo of a Lightning in RAF markings with the underwing pylons fitted - carrying twin MATRA rocket packs if I recall - although I'm sure it was at Paris or Farnbourgh so may have been a company demonstrator.

Plenty time to practice Rich. I've been using Alclad for a wee while now and it's quite straightforward but there are a few other options out there.

That's very kind of you Tom. A Saudi or Kuwati machine will make for a nice change and as you say can be loaded up. I've only seen one photo of a Lightning in RAF markings with the underwing pylons fitted - carrying twin MATRA rocket packs if I recall - although I'm sure it was at Paris or Farnbourgh so may have been a company demonstrator.

That at Farnborough was one of demonstrators, AFAIK.

BTW, except for 'genuine' F.Mk. 53s, the Saudis have got a few of ex-RAF F.Mk. 2s re-worked to F.Mk. 53-similar standard. I think this was one of those:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xR--r6C2UZE/TxSLe_HIp5I/AAAAAAAAAyI/sUpA7KEgaEo/s1600/25-BAC+LIGHTNING.JPG

Guess, Rich is now going to love the highly-polished finish (and all the 'patches' of white with maintenance and warning instructions) :P - but they really looked that while still in service.

• Like 1

BTW, except for 'genuine' F.Mk. 53s, the Saudis have got a few of ex-RAF F.Mk. 2s re-worked to F.Mk. 53-similar standard. I think this was one of those:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xR--r6C2UZE/TxSLe_HIp5I/AAAAAAAAAyI/sUpA7KEgaEo/s1600/25-BAC+LIGHTNING.JPG

Yes, that should be one of the original F.52. It was former F.2 XN770, never issued to any RAF squadron, converted to F.52 standard with serial 56-656 and later became 56-610.

The Saudis originally received 4 Lightning F.52 while one was retained in the UK. Later another aircraft was delivered to replace one lost in an accident