mr hobby paint sets

batcode

hi ive got all the mr hobby sets but went to use the raf set for the first time and to my surprise there not acrylics as i thought??? does anyone know what to use to thin them down ,as tried enamal thinners and that dosent work ,so not sure if ipa will be ok ,,had them for a while just never used them many thanks

If its the Mr Color paints then Mr Color thinners or cellulose would work.

Duncan B

Slightly off topic Duncan, but do you have a vague clue about how long these Mr Colors take to dry?

I was interested in giving them a spin and was wondering about the turn round time for spraying extra coats etc.

Rick.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic Duncan, but do you have a vague clue about how long these Mr Colors take to dry?

I was interested in giving them a spin and was wondering about the turn round time for spraying extra coats etc.

Rick.

To try dry, anytime between 30s and 30 mins depending on how thin you paint! They seriously dry very quickly, but somehow tend not to clog the needle oddly! To cure though I'd give it 24 hours before masking and a bit longer before clear coating over the top, otherwise you can get crazy paving!

I can't sing their praises enough, great paints. Great colour density from very thin coats.

• Like 1

hi ive got all the mr hobby sets but went to use the raf set for the first time and to my surprise there not acrylics as i thought??? does anyone know what to use to thin them down ,as tried enamal thinners and that dosent work ,so not sure if ipa will be ok ,,had them for a while just never used them many thanks

As others have said, cellulose thinner is the way to go. Easily available from Wilksons or Halfords. The acrylic versions are called Mr Hobby rather than Mr Color.

Thanks Chap.

I may give them a try.

As per usual, I don't think I can get them near me though and P+P will kill the deal.

Hope to get some from Telford.

Rick.

If you want just the odd pot, to try, have a look on eBay. There's a few sellers in the Far East that you can get them from for £2.80 to £3 a pot inc postage, you do well to buy a single pot online for that in UK! Delivery is pretty quick too, 10-14 days.

• Like 1

To try dry, anytime between 30s and 30 mins depending on how thin you paint! They seriously dry very quickly, but somehow tend not to clog the needle oddly! To cure though I'd give it 24 hours before masking and a bit longer before clear coating over the top, otherwise you can get crazy paving!

I can't sing their praises enough, great paints. Great colour density from very thin coats.

Agree with the drying times, I also tend to leave them 24hrs between colours but I know some people who go for the second colour as soon as they can i.e. Within an hour.

For gloss coat I use Mr color's clear gloss as it uses the same thinners so will not react with the paint, simple.

Duncan B

Agree with the drying times, I also tend to leave them 24hrs between colours but I know some people who go for the second colour as soon as they can i.e. Within an hour.

For gloss coat I use Mr color's clear gloss as it uses the same thinners so will not react with the paint, simple.

Duncan B

I've not thought to try their clear gloss, I might give it a whirl, does it have similar properties to their paints? ie nice quick drying?

Phil

Mr Leveling thinners is the best way of thinning them down, as it helps get a nice smooth coat, and smells quite pleasant for a cellulose/lacquer thinner. :wacko:

Mr Leveling thinners is the best way of thinning them down, as it helps get a nice smooth coat, and smells quite pleasant for a cellulose/lacquer thinner. :wacko:

I thought it was just me that was odd and liked then smell! Alclad has a nice aroma too I always think....

I've not thought to try their clear gloss, I might give it a whirl, does it have similar properties to their paints? ie nice quick drying?

Phil

Yes, same properties and application methods as the paint. I also use the matte and semi gloss clear they make too.

Duncan B

Where do you get them from Duncan, MDC? I could only find rattle cans on eBay....

The Mr Color versions I have to order from abroad but I find the Mr Hobby versions work just as well and they are available from various outlets in the UK, MDC being one of them.

Duncan B

• 2 weeks later...

My pots from MDC say Aqueous Hobby Color water based acrylic paint water to thin,

Are these Mr Color or Mr Hobby ?

To thin them I am using thinners also from MDC, on label it says Mr Hobby (small logo top left of label) main lettering...Mr Color Leveling Thinner. Its also possible to use Cellulose.

The clear varnish is H30 and I find the levelling thinners does a good job.

How long should I let these cure for before going with enamel washes over the gloss to pick out fine panel lines and detail , i.e. I am in a hurry so what is minimum time for curing ?

What will happen with my pin washes if I get the time aspect wrong ? Will they not flow so well or will they not cure or what ?

Merlin

My pots from MDC say Aqueous Hobby Color water based acrylic paint water to thin,

Are these Mr Color or Mr Hobby ?

To thin them I am using thinners also from MDC, on label it says Mr Hobby (small logo top left of label) main lettering...Mr Color Leveling Thinner. Its also possible to use Cellulose.

The clear varnish is H30 and I find the levelling thinners does a good job.

How long should I let these cure for before going with enamel washes over the gloss to pick out fine panel lines and detail , i.e. I am in a hurry so what is minimum time for curing ?

What will happen with my pin washes if I get the time aspect wrong ? Will they not flow so well or will they not cure or what ?

Merlin

Gunze Mr Colour levelling thinner will thin both Mr Colour & Mr Hobby (which is the Aqueous Hobby Colour) and tamiya acrylics. Mr Hobby & Tamiya while both also soluble in water, and isoprop alchohol, are also soluble in celulose based solvents (like Gunze Mr Colour levelling thinner), so you can use any of these to thin them ( they will both NOT come off once dry with water, but will with the other two). Mr Colour paint is I think a laquer based paint - so it needs a cellulose type thinner.

Drying time to touch dry using isoprop or cellulose is very fast if spraying - almost with a few seconds depending on your thin ration, Isoprop gives a faster drying time, but cellulose gives a smoother finish in my experience. Both paint types, and especially Mr Hobby can take a few days to a week to properly harden all the way through, and can if handled harshly in the meantime leave fingerprints or go soft where touched.

Factors that affect time to full cure are the usual - amount of paint sprayed, ratio of thinner used, temperature, humidity etc

As for applying an enamel wash on top - you should be fine after few hours. The acylic shouldnt be affected by turps or enamel thinner, but as I say above you may need to have a light touch when wiping any enamel residue off to avoid finger marking the not fully cured base paint layer.

As Graham says - test first

Cheers

Jonners

Hi,

I read that Mr Color Levelling thinner has a retarder and will slow curing time but give superior finish. I would like both superior finish and fast cure !

If I have the old style thinner and a looming deadline, it seems I wouldnt have to wait so long for handling time. Would a less gloss glass like finish get in the way of the wash, i.e. is it smoothness of finish thats vital to the wash going well, or is it simply the fact that it has gloss varnish , whatever the quality of surface, to run around on ?

Humbrol painted items, in a very warm environment, in the kitchen or on top of radiators, distanced off a few inches of course, how long before I can spray those enamels with GS Aqueous Hobby Colour I wonder.

...and on the subject of washes, I would prefer oil paint thinned, a finer pigment, looks like ink, but will it be slower drying before I can go over it with satin enamel varnish ?

How quickly can one go over oil washes with enamel varnish and what is key to this, would W&N artist white spirit be better to use than odourless thinners, would humbrol enamel thinners give a quicker drying time ? Which thinners would yield good wash and fast dry/cure time ?

Do I need it to cure or just be touch dry before doing the satin enamel coat in fact ?

With a deadline and juggling time, I wish I had time to experiment on what works best timewise but I need to know and take one route, no U turns in this journey.

Merlin

Edited by Merlin

Hi,

I read that Mr Color Levelling thinner has a retarder and will slow curing time but give superior finish. I would like both superior finish and fast cure ! The retarder only slows the process down by seconds, it is really just to stop the paint drying on the tip of the airbrush. In my experience of both types of thinner and paint (Mr Color v Mr Hobby) the regular thinner gives results that are just as good (I can't tell the difference between them and if you want another opinion check out Arkady72's builds as he uses the regular)

If I have the old style thinner and a looming deadline, it seems I wouldnt have to wait so long for handling time. Would a less gloss glass like finish get in the way of the wash, i.e. is it smoothness of finish thats vital to the wash going well, or is it simply the fact that it has gloss varnish , whatever the quality of surface, to run around on ? The better the gloss the better the wash flows, I tend not to wait for a glass like finish but once it has a decent sheen then I'll apply my wash.

Humbrol painted items, in a very warm environment, in the kitchen or on top of radiators, distanced off a few inches of course, how long before I can spray those enamels with GS Aqueous Hobby Colour I wonder. Enamels will take longer to cure even after being touch dry, I'd be leaving it as long as I could, but no less than a few days. Can you still smell the enamel paint, if so it could still be curing.

...and on the subject of washes, I would prefer oil paint thinned, a finer pigment, looks like ink, but will it be slower drying before I can go over it with satin enamel varnish ? I leave 24 hrs from applying the gloss coat to applying the wash then another 24 hrs before applying the next coat over the wash. I am not sure how much sooner you could rush it through, shame to put so much effort into it then stuff it up so near the finish line though.

How quickly can one go over oil washes with enamel varnish and what is key to this, would W&N artist white spirit be better to use than odourless thinners, would humbrol enamel thinners give a quicker drying time ? Which thinners would yield good wash and fast dry/cure time ? Sorry can't help, I don't use Humbrol enamels any more.

Do I need it to cure or just be touch dry before doing the satin enamel coat in fact ?

With a deadline and juggling time, I wish I had time to experiment on what works best timewise but I need to know and take one route, no U turns in this journey. Go for the Gunze acrylic route, it won't matter which thinner you use as long as you have the thinning ratio about right on the paint mix, Mr Color and Mr Hobby paints are interchangeable in my experience as I have used both types on the same model with no ill effects so long as I left a reasonable time between. I have watched Arkady72 apply a second colour within an hour of the first but he sprays very thin coats, I tend to leave more time between as I'm never in a rush. I hope that helps.

Merlin

See above in red. I hope that helps, it sounds like you have a tight schedule and you're unsure of which route to take. I've never been let down by any of the Gunze range before, even when I first started using their stuff. Thin at least 50/50 paint to thinners (but don't be afraid to go thinner if you want a better finish) and put it on lightly and you'll be fine, their clear coats can be applied exactly the same as their coloured paints.

Duncan B

Thanks for the reponses Duncan B, most useful.

Still wondering...

How quickly can one go over oil washes with enamel varnish and what is key to this, would W&N artist white spirit be better to use than odourless thinners, would humbrol enamel thinners give a quicker drying time ? Which thinners would yield good wash and fast dry/cure time ?

anyone ?

So 24hr for GS Mr Hobby aqueous colour to dry before oil paint wash, then 24 hrs for the wash to cure before enamel satin cote on top (AB on) , so which thinners for the oil paint wash is best and least likely to attack any uncured paint ?

Would that thinners dry quick ? I would imagine something in keeping with the oily mnature for flow, artist white spirit maybe...but what would be safe and best folks ?

Merlin

• 8 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but could someone explain the difference between Mr Hobby and Mr Color paints please?

Is it just branding, marketing?

Edited by munnst

Mr Hobby Aqueous paints are kind of acrylic, but they’re a bit more potent than standard, and very good.

Mr Color is a lacquer paint and is very potent and very good.

There is also a lesser seen GSI range called Acrysion which is water based.

Take a look at the Mr Hobby website for a more detailed explanation. https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/product1.html