Amo Aero

About 15 years ago I wrote a book about mold making and resin casting which was based on my apprenticeship with a master mold maker and from experiences I had while operating a resin model kit manufacturing company back in the 1990s (Wingnut International). The book was self published and rather hard to get, being a completely "in house" operation--I printed, bound and sold the book directly to my customers. It was a modest success but as is the nature with many books, sales gradually dwindled until it was no longer worth my time and effort to keep it in print.

The book attained sort of a legendary status and there have been inquiries from time to time about the possibility of reviving it. This wasn't an easy thing to do because the ancient software used to make the book was incompatible with more modern hardware and operating systems. Then about a year ago, after being lobbied hard for the rights to the book by someone active in the how-to publishing field, I decided to take another look at the feasibility of bringing it back into print. I did a literature search and discovered that no book published since has gone into the detail mine does, so I began to think that maybe it would be worth the effort to revive it for the 21st Century.

I've spent the last year updating the book and working with an editor to improve it and make it compatible with modern distribution channels. The book is now professionally printed and bound and available on CreateSpace.com, a division of Amazon.com

The book is also now available on Amazon and Amazon UK. Copy and paste

Secrets of Expert Mold Making & Resin Casting

into the Amazon search window and it will take you right to the listing.

If 2 listings show up, go to the one with the blue/green cover--the white cover is for the old edition and is no longer available. I have been trying to get Amazon to remove the old listing, but no luck yet. Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by BOC262
  • Like 1

hi, i'm new to all this casting business, does your book cover anything to do with having an internal mold, i.e. when making a thin resin fuselage so your essentially sandwiching the resin between 2 molds?

cheers paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your interest. Yes, the book covers several techniques for making thin wall castings. When I was running my resin model kit company, we were able to consistently cast warp free pieces in excess of 10 inches long with wall thickness averaging just a little over 1/32 of an inch (sorry for the English units--I'm a metrics challenged Yank!). The methods enabling those results are described in detail in the book.

Karl

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your interest. Yes, the book covers several techniques for making thin wall castings. When I was running my resin model kit company, we were able to consistently cast warp free pieces in excess of 10 inches long with wall thickness averaging just a little over 1/32 of an inch (sorry for the English units--I'm a metrics challenged Yank!). The methods enabling those results are described in detail in the book.

Karl

thats great, cheers karl.... off now to order the book !

paul

• 2 weeks later...

I was not aware of the initial publication 15 years ago Karl. If I had been, I probably would not have wasted so many litres of resin and moulding rubber.

Ordered from Amazon - will be here Saturday. A quiet and interesting read I hope - (until the Grand-kids turn up !!)

Thanks for pushing it - a long over due volume.

Dennis

I was not aware of the initial publication 15 years ago Karl. If I had been, I probably would not have wasted so many litres of resin and moulding rubber.

Ordered from Amazon - will be here Saturday. A quiet and interesting read I hope - (until the Grand-kids turn up !!)

Thanks for pushing it - a long over due volume.

Dennis

That's one of the reasons I decided to update the book and bring it back to the public--it was very hard to find the first time around. I'm sure many people who would have been interested in it had no idea it existed.

Thanks Dennis. I hope you find the book helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally, after almost two months (ordered by October 15) I received my book! Strangely it came from Germany, probably by carrier pigeon.

I still had no time to read it properly, but already learned a few things not mentioned in other books or articles I have. Now to find a mold key knife...

Finally, after almost two months (ordered by October 15) I received my book! Strangely it came from Germany, probably by carrier pigeon.

I still had no time to read it properly, but already learned a few things not mentioned in other books or articles I have. Now to find a mold key knife...

So sorry to hear it took so long for your book to arrive--but glad to hear you finally got it. I hope it proves to be useful to you.

Well, I got mine a week after ordering & it is a well informed read! :D I certainly learned a few things & hope to put them into practice soon....

Well done Karl,

mark D ;)

Thank you Mark. I am happy to hear you are finding it worthwhile.

I think it wasn't available in Amazon.co.uk when I ordered mine.

That could account for the delay. When the book was first released in mid October, it was only available on CreateSpace (Amazon's publishing site). About a week later it became available on Amazon.com, then sometime after on Amazon UK. I believe it is now listed on most European Amazon sites. I have no idea why Amazon does it that way.

Ordered my book Monday from Amazon and it arrived Wednesday...............I look forward to reading it, illustrations look very good and some of the molding familiar - Had a casting kit from Prince August for over 2 years now and done some casting of very brittle resin parts from Accurate Armour............They were good, but I thought I could have done better, so I am hoping this book will improve my technique..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks OzH. I hope you find it helpful.

Karl

Ordered my book Monday from Amazon and it arrived Wednesday...............I look forward to reading it, illustrations look very good and some of the molding familiar - Had a casting kit from Prince August for over 2 years now and done some casting of very brittle resin parts from Accurate Armour............They were good, but I thought I could have done better, so I am hoping this book will improve my technique..

Thanks rayprit. Happy casting!

Karl

• 5 weeks later...

I am thinking of ordering this, but was wondering if it covers casting for those without vacuum chambers, etc. If it does, then I will order tonight.

Cheers,

Tom.