Couple of Canberra questions

tbell

I was fortunate enough to pick up a Classic Airframes Canberra B.2 for a song at a local show and I'v decided to dive in right away. Poking through On Target Profiles 7, I figure I'll do it up as a TT.18, serial no. WJ636:

0c0e985fb8888d6716a962bd210267aa_zpsef31

Not being anything close to an expert on the Canberra, I've got a few questions:

1. Aside from the winch pylons which should be fairly simple to scratch build (I'm going to forget about the Ruston winches themselves), are there any other obvious differences between the B.2 and the TT.18?

2. What is a good Tamiya or Gunze match/mix for Light Aircraft Grey? Are there any other acrylic brands that offer it out of the bottle?

3. I'm all set for serials & checkers, but does anyone know a decal source for the 100 Sqn skull & crossbones badge? Does anyone have one they could spare?

RAF100Sqnbadge2small_zps93f19395.jpg

TIA,

Tony Bell

Edited by tbell

Tamiya XF80 is Light Aircraft Grey, Gunze do one too but I can't recall its number I'm afraid. I believe that the square window appears on both port and starboard fuselage sides, on all the other bomber variants it's on the port side only.

Edited by avro683

Hi Tony

avro 683 is right, basically the only external difference between the two is the extra window on the starboard side. There is some local skin strengthening in the top skin of the wing where the pylon passes through. That's a good choice of subject Charlie X-Ray is one of my favourite Canberra's, I have some fond memories of her and being an ex navy TT.18 you can fit her with sleeve target canister if you don't want to use the Rushton's. Take a look at the TT.18 album on my site http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12627333

John

Tamiya XF80 is Light Aircraft Grey, Gunze do one too but I can't recall its number I'm afraid. I believe that the square window appears on both port and starboard fuselage sides, on all the other bomber variants it's on the port side only.

Thanks for the info. Fortunately the CA kit has both windows and I've got some XF80 in the paint stash, so I'm all set.

Hi Tony

avro 683 is right, basically the only external difference between the two is the extra window on the starboard side. There is some local skin strengthening in the top skin of the wing where the pylon passes through. That's a good choice of subject Charlie X-Ray is one of my favourite Canberra's, I have some fond memories of her and being an ex navy TT.18 you can fit her with sleeve target canister if you don't want to use the Rushton's. Take a look at the TT.18 album on my site http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=12627333

John

Wow, those pictures are awesome! Everything I need to do the pylons, strengthening plates, towel bar antenna and other sundry fiddly bits, plus lots of great weathering refs. Thanks very much!

• 1 month later...

Several sources state 12" increase in fuselage length introduced in B Mk 5 (and Mk 6) when compared to the standard B Mk 2. So my question is, to which variant does the 65' 6" length apply - Mk 2 or Mk 6 ? And (if that really is the case) in which place was the fuselage stretched - nose (pressurized) section, bomb bay or the tail section? AFAIK the 1/48 Airfix kit labelled B 2 / B(I) 6 / B 20 / B 62 offers common fuselage for all these variants. Are the people from Haldane Place right ?

Several sources state 12" increase in fuselage length introduced in B Mk 5 (and Mk 6) when compared to the standard B Mk 2. So my question is, to which variant does the 65' 6" length apply - Mk 2 or Mk 6 ? And (if that really is the case) in which place was the fuselage stretched - nose (pressurized) section, bomb bay or the tail section? AFAIK the 1/48 Airfix kit labelled B 2 / B(I) 6 / B 20 / B 62 offers common fuselage for all these variants. Are the people from Haldane Place right ?

Hi, There are only two Canberra fuselage lengths, 65'6" and 66'8". The 14" longer one applies to only three Mk's. the PR.3 PR.7 and PR.9 this is caused by a fuselage "plug forward of the lower fuel tank or if you prefer, aft of the nose wheel bay; in these marks the plug contains the forward cameras used on the PR Canberra's. The shorter applies to the B.2, T.4, B.5, B.6, B(I)6 B(I)8 U.10 B(I)12, T.13 D.14 B/E.15 B/E.16 TT.18, and all export versions of these Airframes. The Martin B.57 is also 65'6" for all Mk's. with a standard nose. The confusion with the B.5 VX185 may arise because it started life on the production line as the second PR.3 prototype but was re-built or finished as the B.5 prototype, this is not a big job, VX185 was later converted again to the B(I)8 prototype. So the up shot is the Airfix kit is right! I hope that helps?

John

I've just found my photo on the fusalage plug with camera windows on a PR.7

PR7front_zps8bc3bc2f.jpg

John

Edited by canberra kid

That's what "right man at right place" means :) Everything is clear now and less surgery will be necessary for the old 72nd scale Airfix B(I)6 I just have bought on the East-European "eBay-like" auction for Łst 12.- including delivery :)

Edited by KRK4m

That's what "right man at right place" means :) Everything is clear now and less surgery will be necessary for the old 72nd scale Airfix B(I)6 I just have bought on the East-European "eBay-like" auction for 12 Łst including delivery :))

I'm glad it helped! Have you been to my web site? IPMS UK Canberra SIG, if not it may me useful to you.

John