Matchbox 1/32 Packard Victoria refurb

As I am nearing the end of my stash of RL models (the little ones given out at Jet Petrol stations in the 1970s, I am quite keen to continue building cars so I have dug out my 1/32 matchbox Packard Victoria that I built about 20 years ago (and it shows, boy is it shoddy!!) - Anyway now for the rebuild -

Before I start, I wonder if anyone has any bits n pieces from one of these kits please, although all seems to be there and possibly useable, I wouldn't mind any spares, I especially need a left rear passenger window as mine is broken as is one of the rear springs

Thanks, Wayne

IMG_3368-1.jpg

Body primed up, had to fill in quite a bit around the body to bulkhead joint as there was quite a level difference. I have also just noticed that the detail line along the top of the body continues onto the bonnet, will add that tonight

IMG_3375.jpgIMG_3376.jpg

Edited by wkennerley

Interesting re-furb project. Must admit I have never seen this kit before. I knew Matchbox did a few vintage race cars but nothing like this.

Have you thought about making the glazing from clear packaging? The 'glass' should all be flat so wouldn't be too hard to make templates from masking tape and transfer onto clear plastic.

Any missing spring parts could probably be made from carved sprue or plastic sheet maybe?

Like the colour choice, classy.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, I have managed to acquire a spare kit that has a few parts missing (luckily nothing I need) - I could have done the glazing from packaging I guess as I could have pre-coloured the window surrounds that are on the glazed parts - Anyway for now I will continue with the spraying whilst I await the 2nd kit -

Regards

Wayne

Edited by wkennerley

Bit more spraying., second photo shows the car on the plan for my garage diorama to use as a photo background for the 1/32 cars I am planning on building.

link to garage thread

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234948470-wanting-to-build-a-garage-type-diorama-ideas-re-metal-shelving/

Wayne

IMG_3389.jpgIMG_3390.jpg

Great restoration project Wayne and the colour choice really suits the car.

Is the chrome work Alclad as it looks particularly nice, not overstated and the plated chrome can be.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Warren

Hi Warren, thanks the colour is based on an actual Packard 740 Phaeton, which I think is what this model represents, not a Victoria as per the box, though my Packard history is a bit sketchy.

The chrome work is indeed alclad polished aluminium. Only because I do not have any Alclad chrome and the chrome I did try some time back did not work out as well as polished ali, which is probably better scale wise for representing chrome anyway.

Wayne

That colour looks good, and a nice contrast with the hood too. The rather good forum at model cars mag is good for a gander, all car stuff plus trucks too. Unusual builds rather than another corvette or mustang get attention.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

A bit of progress, started re-assembling the car, I see the bonnet won't line up properly now, not sure what happened there and the front axle is a bit off, it had broken so I must have mis aligned it a bit - I do have most of another kit available, so will probably build that to get a nicer 2nd car.

Wayne

IMG_3437.jpgIMG_3438.jpg