HMS Leeds Castle - Atlantic Models

Another quick build was the new Atlantic Models HMS Leeds castle, I've made a few detail changes to backdate the shiip to her 1982 South Atlantic fit. Whilst not having an embarked helicopter, the ships have a large helicopter deck and were used as fuel stops by helicopters transfering stores between larger ships at South Georgia.

This is the new Atlantic models kit and is one of the easiest ship kits I've built - the hull was ready to paint after about 3 hours work, and the superstructure wasn't much longer.

Andrew

P258-1_zpsa574800f.jpg

P258-2_zps0cf97387.jpg

P258-3_zps7cd9846f.jpg

P258-4_zps85086d02.jpg

P258-5_zps1432ffb7.jpg

• Like 12

That sir, is a very nice build, weathering is just right, love the Wessex and the positioning of the figures as well, very natural.

I am going to have to do one of these one day, another pressie for my little bro who did his fleet training on Leeds Castle in 82 during the Falklands conflict, I will be a happy bunny indeed if it comes out half as good as this.

Cheers

Dave A

Thanks for the complements everyone, it was a really nice simple kit - no issues at all.

@ Callum - it'll get a base at some point, possibly with the Atlantic Models Glamorgan as Antrim near by.

@ Dave A, If your Starling is anything to go by, your Leeds Castle should look great. When you get to it, I found a really useful gallery on Facebook of all places - just search for HMS Leeds Castle, there are about 200 images taken during 1982, it helped me a lot with some of the details - Yellow cranes for example. I just worked out who your brother is - that's quite a list of ships you'll need to build for him...

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Really nice! I bought this one too. Think I ought to get a chopper from somewhere for it - it really adds to the atmosphere. I did a facebook search for her but didn't find much in the way of pics. Have you got a link?

Cheers

F

Detailing is great.

Nice photos - ta. A chinook looks slightly over-scaled on the back her. Edit - I know it's a Wessex (excellently reproduced & perfectly proportioned may I add), I meant the photos in the Falklands via the link.

Great to see, Andrew, nice work. I've landed a yellow Sea King on the back of Leeds Castle (and 'Dumbo' too) a few times in the dim-and-distant; I've got a photo of the cab tied down on the helideck somewhere in one of my logbooks, but unfortunately it's not with me at the moment otherwise I'd post it. Landing on a ship of any kind was a novelty, me not being a fish'ead, but I distinctly remember that ladder-shaped frame thingy looking awfully close, especially at night! ("Man up, Crab!", I hear you call...)

Jon

Apols, I found the photo but it was actually on RFA 'Grey Rover' so no point in posting it here - I mustn't have had a camera to hand on the Leeds & Dumbarton Castle days.

Jon

Edited by Jonners

Jonners - shame I would have liked to see that photo - must have helped to focus your mind on approach.

I've seen a couple of photos of a Chinook on the flight deck - landed athwartships rather than fore and aft - looked like inches either way would have had the undercarriage over the side.

Thanks all for the comments - I cna'r recommend this kit highly enough, it made it all very easy.

A

• 3 weeks later...

Well, having got one in my grubby mits now I can only agree with you, that Mr Hall bloke is an artist, the kit really is top notch. I have a couple of other little bits and pieces to finish off before I can start it, may even take the plunge and do a WIP thread on it !

Though really I will be lucky if it comes out as well as yours

D

As it's Christmas (almost), I decided I'd been good enough to get a pressie (that I'd actually use/want/need). The Atlantic Leeds Castle is this pressie. Chosen on my own recommendation by viewing the above pics. I phoned up and got the last one off WEM's shelf this morning. £80 on a piece is resin 23cm long might be seen as foolhardy by some - female, married to me - but I bought a bottle of something smelly for her for a similar amount so am justified. And the bottle is smaller than 23 cm as well, so who's the fool?

Almost certainly justified.

Definitely justified.

Sorry kids, you just weren't good enough for Santa to stop this year. Try harder for next time.

• 9 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry - only

On 1/20/2023 at 8:06 AM, seadog said:

May I ask where you got the decals for your Wessex? Atlantic don't supply decals with their choppers.

Sorry - only just saw this question.  I honestly don't remember, but possibly Hawk Graphics RN ship decals - they don't seem to be active any more, but you might get lucky - I just picked up the same in 1/700 scale from avrmodel.com

• Like 2