CF-104D (was TF-104G...) Starfighter, Danish Air Force 1/48

Bjorn

A rather quick build, I always wanted to build a Danish Starfighter, they have at wonderful, weathered look! This is mostly a painting Project, so building will be almost OOB. This is of course Hasegawa´s great Starfighter, so even a OOB build will be rather detailed.

Building was trouble-free, almost no filler was required.

DSC_0568_zps1e2bd05e.jpg

A few cockpit shots: The only addition is seatbelts.

DSC_0570_zpsea34f768.jpg

DSC_0574_zps51fa73c6.jpg

And so the fun begins! :)

DSC_0576_zps7f76bb4c.jpg

More pics will follow soon...I hope! My aim is to finish it to the C4 Open show in Malmö, Sweden, in two weeks...

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 5

This one is certainly looking worn and faded so far Bjorn. Will be watching your progress with interest.

Edited by Col.

Hej Bjørn (assuming you're Scandinavian like me :-) )

I'll be looking forward to see the finished model and if you're into that weather beating look, you might want to go for the Danish F-100.
Oh, did they look like crap *lol*
I worked at Vaerloese (Værløse) and from time to time we had to meet and help the F-104's as they came by. I remember before departure the mechanic (me) had to look into the exhaust to verify that the pilot flame for the afterburner was on and then (the most scary part) we had to check the speed brakes for leakage. I tell you it was scary when you had to put your head in knowing that those suckers would could down on you in a split second. Standard procedure was that the pilot extended the speed brakes and then reached outside the cockpit. But still...

• Like 1

Looking good......may I ask where you are going to source the decals from ?....I'm thinking of doing a RDAF aircraft, to compliment my RNoAF pair, but I'm not sure where to get the decals.....though I seem to recall Aeromaster or Eagle Strike doing some for a single-seater RDAF machine a while back...

Mark

Thank you, all!

P.o: Yes, the Danish F-100 is another tempting challenge! And, of course, the early Drakens!

About the decals: I didn't find the Hasegawa edition with Danish decals, so I will use decals from Stoppel Hobby, Denmark, www.stoppel.dk. My choice will probably be RT-664.

Edited by Bjorn

Well, rather weathered if you ask me... :)

1458179.jpg

But you're right, it is wrong version. I have to find another one. Maybe RT-682. Which were the external differences between the CF-104D and the TF-104G?

• Like 1

Can any of you Danish Gentlemen verify the quality of the Stoppel Decal Sheets, please ?. I heard about them earlier today and have checked the website but I would like to know a little bit more about them before I buy. Are they Limited Edition ALPS (with a requirement for over-varnishing) or silk screen printed decals. Any help you can provide would be gratefully received !

Mark

Well, rather weathered if you ask me... :)

1458179.jpg

But you're right, it is wrong version. I have to find another one. Maybe RT-682. Which were the external differences between the CF-104D and the TF-104G?

You're right Björn. I hadn't seen that picture. I suppose it was shot not too long before the gloss dark green repaint in the early 1980s.

Also, I can see you have followed the pattern of the fading on your model. Nice touch! :)

Jens

Can any of you Danish Gentlemen verify the quality of the Stoppel Decal Sheets, please ?. I heard about them earlier today and have checked the website but I would like to know a little bit more about them before I buy. Are they Limited Edition ALPS (with a requirement for over-varnishing) or silk screen printed decals. Any help you can provide would be gratefully received !

Mark

They are not bad but certainly not Cartograf quality. They are in most instances the most accurate Danish decals you can find.

Jens

Well, rather weathered if you ask me... :)1458179.jpg

Not an absolute expert but I believe you are already on the right track with your build....if I am not mistaken, you are using a TF-104G kit instead of a CF-104D ?. The main differences between the two airframes are the seats - the TF-104G used the later Martin Baker 7CQ seat and had bulged main gear doors and wheels/tyres....the original CF-104D had the C-2 seats and non-bulged doors but, according to the excellent article linked in this thread, RDAF CF-104Ds had the MB seats and bulged doors retorofitted though I would suggest you check dates/Colur schemes to ake sure your project lines up with these changes. If you are modelling a late era CF-104D in RDAF service then you are almost certainly on the right track but its always best to check. One other thing you need to consider, which I did not know until I read the article....these ex-CAF two-seaters had the RWR fairings fitted in RDAF service so you will need to source these too....either from a single seat CAF boxing or as part of one of Leading Edge decals excellent CF-104 decal sheets...most included resin parts to replicate the RWR fairings. Again the dates of service etc need to be checked sonce not all CF-104Ds had these fairings fitted...

HTH

Mark

• Like 1

Mark is right - you're on the right track with the TF-104G kit, you just need the RHAW sensors from the CF-104 kit. By the time your reference photo was shot RT-664 had been retrofitted with the wider main wheels and bulged main gear doors.

As for details you can use these pictures of RT-654 as a reference:

http://www.amarc.dk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=91:rdaf-cf-104d-starfighter-rt-654-walk-around&catid=27:jet-aircraft-pictures&Itemid=31

HTH,

Jens

This is getting more and more difficult... :) The RHAW sensor - is it the one below the nose? Otherwise I cannot see any external differences. So I think that I will stay with RT-664, but changing the aircraft designation to CF-104D. Digging more into this subject, it seems that many photos of Danish "TF-104G"s in fact are CF-104Ds.

Next Dane will be a Draken, I think. Being a Swede, the double deltas are more my home ground than these strange American-Canadian spaceships.:)

• Like 2

There is a RHAW sensor below the radome and another two on either lower sides right in front of the afterburner. Standard CAF RHAW sensors so they should be easy to find a source for.

The CF-104s are the only Starfighters we have left here in Denmark. All MAP F-104s were returned (some later went to Taiwan).

As for your Draken have you made a choice yet? F-35, RF-35 or TF-35? Early, mid or late configuration? ;)

Jens

There is a RHAW sensor below the radome and another two on either lower sides right in front of the afterburner. Standard CAF RHAW sensors so they should be easy to find a source for.

The CF-104s are the only Starfighters we have left here in Denmark. All MAP F-104s were returned (some later went to Taiwan).

As for your Draken have you made a choice yet? F-35, RF-35 or TF-35? Early, mid or late configuration? ;)

Jens

Thanks! Regarding Draken: I will build a late RF-35 and an early, or mid-, F-35, both in 1/48. Last year I finished a late, glossy, TF-35 (AT-160) in 1/48 using a canopy from Maestro:

DSC_0647-1.jpg

More pictures at: http://bjornsmodeller.blogspot.se/search/label/TF-35%20Saab%2035%20Draken

• Like 3

Thank you both! :)

Jens: I used Gunze 309. It was a challenge to get the glossy and clean finish, I am more used to dirty, well-weathered aircraft. However, I am really fond of TF-35, it is my favourite Draken version.

Fantastic that you work with the former crew chief! It is a small world... Btw, I got help with reference photos from Lars Durehed, owner of Österlens Air Museum in Southern Sweden, where AT-160 is exhibited today.

• Like 1

I work with several former Draken technicians. ;)

What changes did you make to the aft cockpit in your TF-35?

Jens

I remember that the side panels were simpler than in the front cockpit, I had a reference photo. But apart from that, not som much since the canopy was to be closed.

And here is the Starfighter today, after a coat of Johnson's Pledge and with Stoppel's decals. The decals were thin, but could have been better printed. Like aftermarket decals from 15 years ago. But these were the only I had, since I couldn't find Hasegawa's Danish boxing.

DSC_0580_zpscf876981.jpg

• Like 3