Frog 1/72 Westland Wyvern

Hello All,

I'm going to be building the Frog Westland Wyvern:

wyvern_parts_zps655a6724.jpg

wyvern_cockpit_zps42606144.jpg

wyvern_undercarriage_zpsb6b507ea.jpg

The kit has side consoles, floor, seat (or throne?), stick, instrument panel, nice wheels and detail on the inside of the undercarriage doors - pretty fancy for a kit from 1970! However, Trumpeter did a newer and more detailed version recently and the rules is the rules...

I am intending to detail the cockpit and wheel wells, do some light scribing and possibly drop the flaps. My main objective is to do a decent paint job and make the Sky/EDSG scheme look less slab-like than it normally does in my hands. The decals are a tad yellowed and I don't think I will see much full sunlight in the next few months, so I may re-print some of the letters and numbers.

Well, can't sit here typing - there's modelling to do!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 1

Adrian, a good choice. I built it back in the late 1970s and I still have it here now. Only thing I did extra was to ream out the jet pipe orifice and put a thin chamfered plastic tube in its place. I thought it was the best Frog kit I'd come across. As I remember though I seem to recall a bit of swearing when fitting/tidying up the intake area as well. Modeldecals did an example on one of their sheets, which is what I used.

Nige B

Adrian, a good choice. I built it back in the late 1970s and I still have it here now. Only thing I did extra was to ream out the jet pipe orifice and put a thin chamfered plastic tube in its place. I thought it was the best Frog kit I'd come across. As I remember though I seem to recall a bit of swearing when fitting/tidying up the intake area as well. Modeldecals did an example on one of their sheets, which is what I used.

Nige B

Nige,

When I did the Frog Gannet I used a plastic straw, so I'm hoping to do that again. Actually, looking at the Gannet (1950s mould with "heads on a shelf") its jet pipes are better represented than on the Wyvern. So I think it will be more work on the Wyvern to get them looking nice...

Regards,

Adrian

Welcome Adrian!

I had to look twice, thought the blob in the seat was a pilot....err, no, wait...

• Like 1

Welcome to the fun Adrian. A surprisingly nice choice as well. I'd not seen the parts before so it certainly must have been a revelation to many in the 70s.

My recollection of this again from the 70s when it would have been a new tool, was that it built really well. Everything was OOB in those days for me but it ended up looking real good. I still have it, in bits now, but destined to resurface one day with a Magna trainer conversion in place of the kit fuselage. I'll be keeping an interested eye on this one.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Looking forward to seeing this one done. I put it together in the 1970s and remember being gratified to see the props go round in opposite directions when I blew on them. I went for the option with the Wyvern badge on the nose.

Joseph

Joseph, you must have big lungs mate! I tried the fit of the props and it's all a bit tight in there. Still, now I know it can be done...

I'm also going for that version. No Suez stripes for me.

It is a nice kit. I like the tail plane engineering where the tabs stack one on top of the other across the centre line, giving you the right dihedral angle. The wings seem to be thinner than the edge of the fuselage fairing so I may beef them up a tad at the leading edge to remove the step

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF

Good choice! Can't wait to see what you make of it. When you see what Frog accomplished back in the day (their catalogue was ponderous!), it makes one wonder what kind of product they'd be turning out if they were still in business.

Cheers,

Bill

Nige,

When I did the Frog Gannet I used a plastic straw, so I'm hoping to do that again. Actually, looking at the Gannet (1950s mould with "heads on a shelf") its jet pipes are better represented than on the Wyvern. So I think it will be more work on the Wyvern to get them looking nice...

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian,

I think I used a straw portion as well. I believe I removed the raised lip on the kit parts first though to just leave an open orifice. I can put a photo on here if it would be of interest.

Nige B

Adrian,

I think I used a straw portion as well. I believe I removed the raised lip on the kit parts first though to just leave an open orifice. I can put a photo on here if it would be of interest.

Nige B

Nige, if you have a photo, bring it on! All input welcome...

Regards,

Adrian

Nige, if you have a photo, bring it on! All input welcome...

Regards,

Adrian

Well Mate, you asked for it. Here is a slightly shabby Wyvern S4 built c.1979 using no aftermarket parts (there weren't any such things) except Modeldecals from Sheet #24. I think an 831sqn machine from Ark Royal in 1957. I'm no photographer and this model has endured at least 4 house moves with loft storage in between, sorry...

Nige B

Wyvern003_zps1f1d07a7.jpg

Wyvern001_zpsf0083a05.jpg

Cockpit is finished, apart from the front and rear decking, and I'm not sure whether the stick is a sticky-stick or a circular hand grip stick - I've seen pictures of both. Also dithering over whether to add a pilot or not, hence no seat belts yet. The seat will be more upright and raised a bit from where it is now.

IMG_4055_zpsebf7f27a.jpg

IMG_4056_zpsd71b5615.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF

I used to do two layers and drill holes in the top one but I've found that just scratching the paint off back to the white card works just as well if you're looking through a canopy. Here's one I did earlier for a Yak-9. I will use a template for the circles this time!

yak-9_canopy_fitted_zps69622c0a.jpeg

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Cockpit is finished, apart from the front and rear decking, and I'm not sure whether the stick is a sticky-stick or a circular hand grip stick - I've seen pictures of both. Also dithering over whether to add a pilot or not, hence no seat belts yet. The seat will be more upright and raised a bit from where it is now.

IMG_4055_zpsebf7f27a.jpg

IMG_4056_zpsd71b5615.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

Hi Adrian

Really enjoying the build, really impressed that these aircraft were fitted with airbags which you have faithfully reproduced in bluetack in the above photos this level is detail can be sadly overlooked :winkgrin:

Cheers Pat