As a result of the close-down of the UK by the British Government last night, we have made all the Buy/Sell areas read-only until we open back up again, so please have a look at the announcement linked here.

This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mike

Yahoo Email Users

The delightful IT folks at Yahoo and a few other companies have been blocking our emails that are sent from britmodeller.com for no apparent reason, and we're being somewhat inconvenienced by it, as are the members.

If you aren't getting emails telling you about messages from other members, or topics you subscribe to, find out where you put in a complaint to, and tell them that Britmodeller shouldn't be blocked.

It's in your own interests to do so to get your notifications and so you can retrieve your password if you forget it, but our efforts to get unblocked with them have as yet met with no success. If enough of you complain, maybe they'll actually do something about it! :shrug:

Please don't rely on others to do it, send one yourself and become one of many that help us get better connections with our members. :)

Ah, that explains why I dont get Bm notifications.

Thanks for that info Mike. Will do as you suggest as soon as I can sort out the 'new' email box yahoo have dumped on me without warning. Change for change sake.

Glad to hear that's made sense of some things for you. :) Everyone that's not getting messages from Britmodeller is in the same boat. Yahoo white-label their email service to other providers too, so even if your email isn't branded as Yahoo, it might well be underneath. :shrug:

Glad to hear that's made sense of some things for you. :) Everyone that's not getting messages from Britmodeller is in the same boat. Yahoo white-label their email service to other providers too, so even if your email isn't branded as Yahoo, it might well be underneath. :shrug:

I know from personal experience that that applies to btinternet.

I'm under the impression that Yahoo have been suffering from using some overly 'sensitive' spam blocklists (3rd party spam source listings)...

Iain (who's in 'the trade' so to speak - The Very Good Email Company)

Aren't BT dropping Yahoo as their e-mail service and going in house so to speak. I used to be BTyahoo but now go direct to BT's own site

Sky uses Yahoo as it's email host. I suppose all of us using it will be affected?

Trevor

Aren't BT dropping Yahoo as their e-mail service and going in house so to speak. I used to be BTyahoo but now go direct to BT's own site

Possibly but I have a BT internet address which came as part of my broadband package and which I use to keep charity work that I do separate from my ordinary personal mail. As recently as this morning it was still linked to Yahoo. Mind you, having had to invoke BT's so-called customer service for a problem with my phone line I would have absolutely zero confidence in them sorting e-mail problems any more effectively than Yahoo.

Mike,

Not sure if it's linked to the notification issue, but I've sent a couple of PM's to you that haven't been replied to. Just want to check that you got them OK.

Cheers,

Mike D.

Hi Mike, I'm a BT Internet user and Britmodeller e mails are getting through to me no problem

Cheers

Den

Mike,

Not sure if it's linked to the notification issue, but I've sent a couple of PM's to you that haven't been replied to. Just want to check that you got them OK.

Cheers,

Mike D.

I do get a lot of PMs Mike, and I have an awful memory. :( I don't snub people on purpose, so if ever I've not replied and you're starting to wonder if I've died at my keyboard, don't be shy of giving me a nudge :) Could you send it again and I'll try not to ignore you this time... promise! :innocent:

Hi Mike, I'm a BT Internet user and Britmodeller e mails are getting through to me no problem

Cheers

Den

Cheers Den - any way of telling whether your email is white-labelled Yahoo or not? I'd be interested to know :)

I do get a lot of PMs Mike, and I have an awful memory. :( I don't snub people on purpose, so if ever I've not replied and you're starting to wonder if I've died at my keyboard, don't be shy of giving me a nudge :) Could you send it again and I'll try not to ignore you this time... promise! :innocent:

Cheers Den - any way of telling whether your email is white-labelled Yahoo or not? I'd be interested to know :)

OK give me a clue, what is white labelled ?

Cheers

Den

White-labelling is the act of taking something created by one company, and putting your branding on it and pretending you made it. F'rinstance, Yahoo's servers that other companies use appear to be their own, but there must be a way of telling. I don't use 3rd party mail like Gmail, Yahoo and other web-based services, so I don't know whether it's possible to tell, but I hope it is :hmmm:

No problems Mike, I didn't think it was a snub :). I have added a new message to a conversation we were having so it should pop up in your PM inbox.

Mike D.

Hi Mike, I have no idea how to check but Britmodeller notifications are getting to me on my BT e mail (btinternet.com)

Cheers

Den

No worries Den - I've taken up the cudgel with tech support to try & get us de-listed by the email black-list people, and will keep you updated. Apparently, if you don't have a couple of little text records associated with your domain name, you are considered an evil spammer by default by some email providers. A little harsh, but I can understand why, because a lot of spam comes from mail servers without them. Once we've got those text files sorted (they're quite complicated to write - a new language to me) we'll apply to be de-listed, and if successful, it shouldn't be long before we're off the block list with the likes of Yahoo. :pray:

If you're looking for a work-around in the meantime, I understand that outlook.com (formerly known as hotmail.com) don't block us, so if you have one of their addresses, you could re-direct your notifications to there for now :)

Don't know if this is relevant or not.

I used to be with Talk21. via BT/Yahoo using Sky as my ISP. I recieved an email from BT/Yahoo saying that my free email would cease on the 16th. September, I could keep it open for a fee or have BT as my ISP (for a fee). I had to open a Hotmail account and transfer everything (what a pain that was. I did not realise how much of our lives are centred around email). BT/Yahoo at the last minute relented and did not close down my Talk21 address. This must have been the same for may others. Could this have anything to do with the problem??

Edited by jenko

On a serious note - for anyone concerned about emails with provider's disappearing / changing , the simple option is to not use an ISP provided email address, and get your own domain name.

A .co.uk domain name will cost £2.99 a year from Heart Internet ( no connection other than being a happy customer ), and includes free email forwarding and web forwarding.

so then your email address is <whateveryouwant>@<yourdomainname>.co.uk, which then forwards to your ISP email silently, if the ISP changes, or you change ISP you only have to change the forwarding in the domain name (very easy via the web control panel ), without telling everyone a new email address.

Well worth the money, for the lack of hassle, and stops problems like this - your domain will have your details associated with it so won't get blacklisted unless you start spamming everyone.

Peter

We've completed the move of registrar for our domain name, and support have cleaned up the DNS entry, plus added some of the "confidence boosting" items that some email providers require. I've put in whitelisting requests for a number of email providers such as Yahoo, AOL and Verizon, so I guess we'll sit back and wait to see what comes of that. Cross your fingers, but don't let it interfere with your modelling exploits ;)

I was wondering if there would be some changes today. I received an email from Yahoo's whitelisting people saying that they'd made some changes to their "settings" that would reflect our current status, although they wouldn't go as far as whitelisting us. They also told us the following that would allow Yahoo users to get our emails without undue grief:

It's important to know that Yahoo Mail users are able to set their own preferences for the manner in which they receive your mailings.

If the recipients of your emails want to make sure they receive your messages in their Inbox, you may want to ask them to set up a filter in Yahoo Mail specifically for your emails, or have them add your email address(es) to their Yahoo Contacts.

If you guys want to set up our forum software's auto-send email address to your list of contacts or set up a filter, the address is as follows:

noreply

AT

britmodeller

DOT

com

Without all the nonsense in between :ninja:

Ah, that explains why I dont get Bm notifications.

Thanks for that info Mike. Will do as you suggest as soon as I can sort out the 'new' email box yahoo have dumped on me without warning. Change for change sake.

Me too

and the new e-mail is dreadful. The highlighting is poor and they drop new incoming mail into existing conversations - not necessarily at the top of the inbox so you know you have a new e-mail arrived - just not where it is or from whom. Plus a host of other glitches. I am thinking about moving away from them its that bad - any suggestions anyone?

Mike, I can confirm that I'm receiving notifications using Sky/Yahoo server.

Thank you for the persistence in kicking Yahoo rear ends.

ATB