1/48 - Sukhoi Su-33 "Flanker-D" by Kinetic - released - Begemot decals+Master pitot

Homebee

I received mine today. Let me tell you that those sprue shots doesn't do the kit justice. Surface detail and mould quality is outstanding. The exhaust cans are the best I've ever seen, almost resin quality. The one piece missiles are excellent too. Can't comment on fit obviously, but it sure looks beautiful on the sprues. Best Flanker kit hands down and one that will be very hard to beat!

Edited by N5016R

Think I'm going to have to give up on waiting on Hannants and order this one from abroad.

That's exactly what I ended up doing. Yesterday I received a box from Lucky Model containing the Su-33, Super Etendard and Sea Harrier (oh, and I took advantage of the special offer and got the Academy F-4J for something like $20...). I'm beginning to wish I'd done the same for the AMK Mig-31...

The SU-33 looks stunning btw. It's a big box, but the contents still manage to feel cramed! The details on the kit are execellent though.

That's exactly what I ended up doing. Yesterday I received a box from Lucky Model containing the Su-33, Super Etendard and Sea Harrier (oh, and I took advantage of the special offer and got the Academy F-4J for something like $20...). I'm beginning to wish I'd done the same for the AMK Mig-31...

The SU-33 looks stunning btw. It's a big box, but the contents still manage to feel cramed! The details on the kit are execellent though.

stunning is not enough! Got mine today

have the same issue with the MiG-31 though :D

The box is big, but not too big so shipping costs are within the limits... the box is more than full though, hard to get all back in!

I really like how the 1-piece missiles and 4 part nozzles are packed! not withing plastic, but innovative cardboard boxes! the way to go! (will take some pictures later I hope! )

compared with a Academy flanker model the kit does not seem so much longer, bit the foward fuselage definitely looks broader... could also only be cause by the canard shoulders....

deinitely one of the most thrilling kits I ever opened!

congrats to the desigers/ producers/ releasers! :) :)

:thumbsup:

here some photos:

don't want to repeat anything, i just put the for me outstanding features (some of them...)

IMG_3764_1_1_zpsmzvljqlb.jpg

box is big and full o the top. shows a bit at the boxtop...

IMG_3760_1_1_zpsranjy9cp.jpg

the model is big, but not alarmingly bigger then the Academy one.... (Phuh!)

in my opinion just a bit longer, but the cockpit section is noticeably broader

IMG_3758_1_1_zpsozxkd45z.jpg

IMG_3757_1_1_zpsfgznk0p4.jpg

what I really like is the modern packing of missiles and delicate parts in specially designed cardboard carrier boxes :) :)

IMG_3761_1_14_zpspolctoeq.jpg

IMG_3763_1_1_zps2atxtcar.jpg

the are totally unharmed and look fabulous!

radar guied long range R-27 next to some quite old and very very laborious resin ones

IMG_3753_1_1_zpsgx56ufbk.jpg

every single fin was to be glued separately! only 12 of them, per missile!

IMG_3750_1_1_zpsgsw3xbc2.jpg

I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO STARTING THIS ONE! really! :) :)

• Like 3

Exdraken, thank you so much for posting these photos. Looks like a beautiful kit. Hoping to get one in a week or two. Some of the packing in cardboard boxes remind me on the AMK MiG-31.

Some of the Chinese/Hong Kong companies are leading the way in the packaging of sprues, I bought a Great Wall Hobby MiG-29 last week, the upper fuselage comes in it's own box and the individual one piece missiles have their own vac-formed holder.

I'll be getting a Kinetic SU-33 next month and will probably get an AMK MiG-31 at some point too. So many kits so little time and cash.

• Like 2

Shenyang J-15 conversion set by Dream Model - ref. CDM 48023

Source: http://www.hyperscale.com/2016/reviews/accessories/dreammodelcdm48022reviewbg_1.htm

CDM 48023 - J-15 Conversion Set for Kinetic

The Shenyang J-15, also known as Flying Shark, is a carrier-based fighter aircraft in development by the Shenyang Aircraft Corporation and the 601 Institute for the Chinese People's Liberation Army Navy's aircraft carriers.

Rumors initially claimed the aircraft was to be a semi-stealth variant, yet later reports indicate the aircraft is based on the Soviet-designed Sukhoi Su-33 and is fitted with domestically produced radars, engines, and weapons. An unfinished Su-33 prototype, the T-10K-3, was acquired from Ukraine in 2001 and is said to have been studied extensively, with development on the J-15 beginning immediately afterward.

While the J-15 appears to be structurally based on the Su-33, the indigenous fighter features Chinese technologies as well as avionics from the J-11B program.

On 25 November 2012, Chinese media announced that two J-15s had made successful arrested landings on the aircraft carrier Liaoning.

In December 2013 Chinese media reported that mass production of J-15s in full operational condition with combat markings had begun.

The conversion comprises two resin rocket rails, a colour photo-etched fret, a brass photo-etched fret, a printed clear foil and glass instruments printed onto paper backing. Decals are included too.

cdm48023reviewbg_1.jpg

This is an easy conversion. The colour photo-etched fret focuses on the new glass instrument panel but also offers enhancements including side consoles, harness straps, seat cushions and more.

cdm48023reviewbg_2.jpg

The brass fret provides a variety of vents, plates and avionics for the exterior of the model.

The two small decal sheets offer markings for various prototype aircraft finished in yellow primer and peppered with data markings, and operational aircraft in overall grey and adorned with flying sharks on the fins.

cdm48023reviewbg_3.jpg

This is a really interesting conversion for a fairly unique variant.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Shenyang J-15 conversion set by Dream Model - ref. CDM 48023

V.P.

That's a nice looking set, and the decal sheet looks pretty comprehensive too.

Having just seen Bjorns photos, I think I'm going to ditch my Academy Flanker and just get this one. Not enough space for both, may as well get the better one!

And you can fold the wings to take up less space too.

• Like 1

And you can fold the wings to take up less space too.

I hate seeing planes with their wings up, just looks odd to my eyes!

Actually tempted to order a second along with the conversion kit... Hmmm...

March, have a google around before you order, I think someone mentioned that in order to do a proper conversion you need more parts.

March, have a google around before you order, I think someone mentioned that in order to do a proper conversion you need more parts.

Thanks for the advice, will do. Nothing like spending a decent wedge of dosh to find out that more outlay needs to be committed before its right! Although I do recall reading recently that there are significant differences between Trumpeters rendering of the SU-33 and the J-15.

I hate seeing planes with their wings up, just looks odd to my eyes!

If you want to arm it you'll certainly need Chinese missiles as they use an indigenous weapon fit.

Now that the kits out I'm sure it won't be long before we see a few conversion builds. I'm sure there are a few experts out there to tell us exactly what's needed.

From the top of my head......to change a Su-33 into a J-15 visually you need to........

Change the instrument panel (J-15 has MFD's)

Add lightning strips to the radome

Add RWR antenna to the tail boom - and remove the Su-33 ones on the L/E slats

Change the antenna/add RWR to the trailing edge fin tips - study photos for differences.

Use Chinese-specific wingtip and underwing pylons.

Use Chinese weaponry.

Some J-15's have WS-10 engines - the nozzles are different to the Su-33's AL-31F (although most J-15's also have AL-31F)

I think that's all....

Happy Flankering

Ken

Looking at the Flankermans video, I noticed chinese stenciling , it is not included in Dream model set. Too bad, kit is hughe in 1/48, those large double square walkway lines on top fuse above wheel wells are very prominent etc...

P

The Moskit was only fitted for trials - I photographed it under a Su-33 at MAKS many years ago.

It was never operational with the Su-33 - but it would make a great display.

Dunno if it's available in 1/48 though....

Ken

Thanks Ken.

OK. I didn't know that it isn't operational.

But I think I still want one.

As you said, it would be a great display.

If my calculations are correct a Kh-41 in 1/48 will be almost 20cm in length. :analintruder:

I've sent an email to Armory asking them if they plan to up-scale their 1/72 version.

If/When I get a reply I'll post it here.

/Bosse

Looking at the Flankermans video, I noticed chinese stenciling , it is not included in Dream model set. Too bad, kit is hughe in 1/48, those large double square walkway lines on top fuse above wheel wells are very prominent etc...

P

Caracal decals have a sheet coming out for the J-15 with markings for the prototype and operational schemes,

From Kinetic coming a Su-33 only or later a standard Flanker (without canards) and maybe hi-tech Su-35S ? I know, Flanker's now released a Trumpeter too, but Kinetic is better, no ?

Don't think Kinetic will have any plans for further Flankers at the moment. The only reason their releasimg this one is probably cause the bought the molds/project off Aviation Art who couldn't take it any further.