P-51 Mustang II Single Type Group Build

I've still got the ICM RAF Mustang III from the first GB. Painted the inside of the fuselage halves with RAF interior green, but wondering should it be in Zinc Chromate?

Happy to hold fire until the GB starts, sure it's well under 25% done.

I may actually be home for the start of this GB....will be a change to be on time for one! Plus being a co-host I probably should be here for the start of it! :P

Still don't know which one I'll build RB-51 or A-36? With new work schedule, as in no longer working a 3/1 roster I may have the time for RB. It's such an awesome beast I'm a little intimidated by it, especially the paint job!!

Guys i have one question about this future GB. Is it only about pure mustangs from WWII or you can go somehow "beyond"? :)

The thing is, i was bored today so i was browsing and googling around and found nice photos of airplanes developed from mustang.. First something very similar, just with added fuel tanks to wing tips and probably higher tail
P_51_Nov_8_1968_2_small.jpg

Second (and more interesting, though way more away from mustang) some prototypes leading to PA-48 Enforcer late, using "turbo mustang" airframes

pe1_1.jpg

(The turbo-mustang just for curiosity)

tm3copy.jpg

So i wonder, if it would be ok to build some of these? (probably as conversion of airfix or academy D)

• Like 1

that's a hard one!!!

the first one, if I'm correct would be a Cavalier F-51D and according to the info I have found was used by the US Army, first as a chase plane for the AH-56A “Cheyenne” attack helicopter (I so want to build one of these). Then later after that program was dropped, a test aircraft for 106mm recoilless rifle tests, they fitted one to each wing tip!!!! :mental:

The other two I like very much. :thumbsup:

The second is a Piper Enforcer as mentioned and was derived from the third one which is a Cavalier Turbo Mustang III. Though it’s heritage is Mustang it shared only about 10% of its structure with that of the original P-51

The last one looks like the prototype for the Cavalier Turbo Mustang III which basically started off as a modified Mustang II airframe fitted with a Rolls Royce Dart engine.

I do so like all of these, the first is no problem, it's a P-51! The others and in my opinion, which will be shot down, should be allowed to be included as they are to me the finial genesis of the P-51 Mustang design, even though there is not much left of the original structure.

Building them though :hmmm: ………have fun.......oh and make resin copies of the new bits as I soooo want to build one…as a Whiffy of cause! :D

• Like 1

Thanks for reply Rich :) i like the "chase mustang" and i see its the closest to the original so i would definitely go for it if it was allowed :)

The Enforcer i like so much too, mainly because all the loaded weapons under the wings! :boxing: But i see it might not fit into the rules so i ll see what other ppl says too :) However, i ll build it as well, part of the gb or not :D As for the resin copies, i think that ll be a bit problematic.. mainly because i dont know how to do such a stuff :weep: So my conversion would contain P-51D, evergreen strips, glue.. put that all into big box, shake it well and lets see what comes out.. :winkgrin:

I have a question...

Should I wish to try my hand at a shiny early P51D racing Mustang, would I need to model my finish on a particular aircraft or could I get creative with the stripes and numbers?

Anthony.

to keep it clear of being called a whiffy you'll have to base it on an actual aircraft. As long as you have a photo of the aircraft you want to build then it's ok.

:) However, i ll build it as well, part of the gb or not :D As for the resin copies, i think that ll be a bit problematic.. mainly because i dont know how to do such a stuff :weep: So my conversion would contain P-51D, evergreen strips, glue.. put that all into big box, shake it well and lets see what comes out.. :winkgrin:

I wish I could do copies as well, I've got a whiffy project under way which I should have made copies of what I've built as I will be building a second one along similar lines and it would have saved lots of time!!

Oh and Heritage Models do a 1/72 & 1/48 Cavalier F-51D and 1/48 Cavalier Turbo Mustang III conversion, they may save a bit of work but will need a bit of work as well (got a HM Ju-388K/L conversion kit at home, needs work to get a good finish).

• Like 1

I do so like all of these, the first is no problem, it's a P-51! The others and in my opinion, which will be shot down, should be allowed to be included as they are to me the finial genesis of the P-51 Mustang design, even though there is not much left of the original structure.

OK for the Piper Enforcer, but that Dart-powered one deserves to be shunned on aesthetic grounds alone! If we're allowing heavily modified racers, then we should allow these, too. And to be honest, I don't remember without looking back what the conclusion was on the Learstang (perhaps the most extreme example), etc.

to keep it clear of being called a whiffy you'll have to base it on an actual aircraft. As long as you have a photo of the aircraft you want to build then it's ok.

So if your photoshop skills are good, you're all set! :evil_laugh:

Come to think of it, some of those racers and such are little more than 1:1 WHIFs!

bob

-Two weeks to go! Let's see, is it going to be the B, the D, the other D, the XP-51B, the H... ? :hypnotised:

Edited by gingerbob

OK for the Piper Enforcer, but that Dart-powered one deserves to be shunned on aesthetic grounds alone! If we're allowing heavily modified racers, then we should allow these, too. And to be honest, I don't remember without looking back what the conclusion was on the Learstang (perhaps the most extreme example), etc.

Come to think of it, some of those racers and such are little more than 1:1 WHIFs!

bob

This was the answer to my racer (a real P51 based racer - no whif) with learjet wings, reproduced parts and loads of other modifications:

Well you started with a P51 so it`s in

Les

I want to do a couple of Cavalier Mustangs BUT for the life of me can never find photos of the backseat or twin seat cockpit confiuration!!! Not even on dedicated Mustang sites... even well known ones. Can someone help please???

haha, I had thought of that to.

This was the answer to my racer (a real P51 based racer - no whif) with learjet wings, reproduced parts and loads of other modifications:

I do think if we are going to allow an Enforcer in the build then your beasty should be as well, as it is essentially a very extreme Mustang!

Where's our GB host????? The minions have questions for him...... :fight::P

I want to do a couple of Cavalier Mustangs BUT for the life of me can never find photos of the backseat or twin seat cockpit confiuration!!! Not even on dedicated Mustang sites... even well known ones. Can someone help please???

If you find some let us know, as that may be the thing to tip me over to building a Heritage Models beasty!!!

I do think if we are going to allow an Enforcer in the build then your beasty should be as well, as it is essentially a very extreme Mustang!

Where's our GB host????? The minions have questions for him...... :fight::P

My real world P-51 based racer with Learjet wings etc etc is already allowed according to the answer I got below, see page 5 in this thread.

Well you started with a P51 so it`s in

Les

I had forgotten about that.......gosh that was ages ago....well glad that was sorted out.

.........just ignore me! :sleeping:

We have tried but it is hard to

Les

Hi guys

I's like to enter with a TP-51B Mustang conversion. It's from an old LF Models conversion kit for the standard Revell 1/72nd Mustang III. The LF Models conversion gives you a new resin fuselage, in two pieces, as well as a vacform canopy and a resin seat (and a couple of US decals).

Here's what the pack, with the current situ on the resin fuselages, looks like:-

packtop.jpg

I have only removed the resin pieces from the moulding blocks and cleaned them up - I presume that is well within the 25% rule?

Thanks,

Philip

• Like 1

Heck, I wouldn't even consider removing moulding blocks as "construction", any more than snipping parts off a sprue. It's all what you've got to do in order to undertake construction! Now, if you have the fuselage closed up and the wing glued to it, and...

bob

Heck, I wouldn't even consider removing moulding blocks as "construction", any more than snipping parts off a sprue. It's all what you've got to do in order to undertake construction! Now, if you have the fuselage closed up and the wing glued to it, and...

bob

Thanks Bob! (just checkin')

Philip

Hi guys

I's like to enter with a TP-51B Mustang conversion. It's from an old LF Models conversion kit for the standard Revell 1/72nd Mustang III. The LF Models conversion gives you a new resin fuselage, in two pieces, as well as a vacform canopy and a resin seat (and a couple of US decals).

Here's what the pack, with the current situ on the resin fuselages, looks like:-

packtop.jpg

I have only removed the resin pieces from the moulding blocks and cleaned them up - I presume that is well within the 25% rule?

Thanks,

Philip

Very nice, that'll be something interesting and different!!

Go forth and cleanup to ye heart's content, though nay glue nor paint too much yet!

All this talk re Cavalier Mustangs....and ...well......... :whistle:

icouldn'thelpmyself! :D

Have a HM 1/48 Cavalier Turbo Mustang III conversion on the way!!

She may have a big...ok huge ugly nose, but I shall love her :wub: and I will adorn her in lovely camouflage and anoint her with things that go boom!!

Ok on night shift and clearly losing it! :wacko:

Arrr yeap another wiffy to add to the growing list!

oh and this is all I could find on the rear seat in the Cavalier

http://scalemodelblog.blogspot.com.au/2011/08/148-cavalier-turbo-mustang-part-1.html

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234926213-a-horse-of-a-different-color-cavalier-mustang-148-tamiya/

that would be fun!!

A new type of air racing........with GUNS!!!!!! :mg:

Maybe not the best idea to be ahead of other racers!

Totaly missed this.. haha.. aand in case you would be in lead, you could have installed so called "Schrage musik" :D

Hi guys

packtop.jpg

Thanks,

Philip

Welcome to the Build ,this Mustang is not a TF51B but just a P51B converted by the 4th F/G technicians to carry a passenger ,P51B-15-NA , 42-106894

scan0013_zpsb13e7545.jpg

Les