French Crew Figures - Colours required

snapper_city

Hi All

I am currently building the Hobby Boss GMC Bofors truck and am thinking about making my first dio. The question I have is what would be good for figures to use on it? I cant really find a lot other than the odd officer or resistance fighters. Can anyone point me in a direction to get some figures? A crew in position on the vehicle and around the gun would be nice but otherwise anything that would look good around it.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by snapper_city

I assume you're modelling post fall of France.

The Free French were initially equipped by the British and, later, by the US.

So suitable artillery figures in either, or a mix of, uniforms would be suitable. An officer wearing a Kepi or full French uniform might make it obvious that they're French.

Right, my trusty copy of 'Army Uniforms of WW2' by Andrew Mollo doesn't have an awful lot more information on the subject. There are photos of Free French wearing a mix of British, US and French uniform (e.g. British battledress with a French helmet).

I think it would be reasonable to asume that, by 1943, the supply of US uniforms would be increasing so there would be fewer French and British items (as they would wear-out).

What scale is it you are working in?

1:35

Right, my trusty copy of 'Army Uniforms of WW2' by Andrew Mollo doesn't have an awful lot more information on the subject. There are photos of Free French wearing a mix of British, US and French uniform (e.g. British battledress with a French helmet).

I think it would be reasonable to asume that, by 1943, the supply of US uniforms would be increasing so there would be fewer French and British items (as they would wear-out).

Hmmm, Maybe I could marry these guys with these heads??? I will keep looking for a set of American Bofors crew though...

Hi Mark,

Personally I'd just use US figures as these would be a better match. I'll photocopy you the page from the book referred to above as I have it on my shelf.

Hows the build coming along?

Ben

• Like 1

Heller produced a range of French army figures in 1/35. They included gun teams,[ heavy and mg] a mortar team, vehicle crews - I have a Moto-Rhone m/c and sidecar set. The figures were all in US style French uniforms for the late WW2 period.

The figures can still be got, but not easily outside of France.

Hi Mark,

Personally I'd just use US figures as these would be a better match. I'll photocopy you the page from the book referred to above as I have it on my shelf.

Hows the build coming along?

Ben

Hi Ben

US fatigues would be better. I'll just have to see what I can locate but I'm very interested in the photocopy. The build is on hold at the minute as I want to get the Ju-52 finished for Monday so once that is done I'll get back on it.

Heller produced a range of French army figures in 1/35. They included gun teams,[ heavy and mg] a mortar team, vehicle crews - I have a Moto-Rhone m/c and sidecar set. The figures were all in US style French uniforms for the late WW2 period.

The figures can still be got, but not easily outside of France.

Cool, Thanks for the tip I'll get searching the web and Ebay and report back..

• 2 weeks later...

Right guys. The figure in post # 3 on this thread is the one I'm going for.

I considered the HobbyFan US Bofors crew and Bronco British Bofors crew and neither is correct by any sense. Even an expensive cut and shut of the two sets wouldn't work in my eyes.

My next question is colours. Vallejo is my weapon of choice but will consider other manufactures if required.

What do you all think of Vallejo 70.320 French Tank Crew for the bottoms.

The lighter top colour I am having trouble trying to colour match this...

Hi Mark,

I'll sort you the colours out over the weekend. Looks like he's wearing a US vehicle crew jacket and US trousers.

Have a dragon US tank crew set that gives paint matches but need to dig them out of the stash.

Hows going the build coming along?

Ben

Hi Ben

I have done some paint matching and bought a few colours while out on lunch today. Very interested in what the Dragon set recommends though to see how close I got. This build I haven't touched for a couple of weeks while finishing off the JU-52. That is now finished and I just need to take a few pics to put on the forum. I'll hopefully get back on with the GMC after the weekend. I just ordered the French Officer up in post #3 so nearly all systems go. Cant wait to crack back on with this build as it was turning out to be a joy to put together. Hope you are well and getting time to finish a few bits.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Have done a little digging and the jacket should be a buff colour (approx vallejo 770.976) with olive drab (approx vallejo 70.887) cuffs and hem.

Trousers on second reflection look more british so should be khaki (approx vallejo 70.921 or panzer aces 317).

Boots are American so are russet brown (approx 70.871). Gaiters / anklets same colour as jacket and kepi is khaki.

Hope this helps

Ben

Ps - looking forward to seeing the ju-52 in all its corrugated goodness!!