Boeing B36 Peacemaker

To correct the B-36 bomb-bay, depending on variant, here's a few drawings to help. Bear in mind that the bay as supplied is wrong for every variant.

B-36BombBaystandard_zpsecd58af8.jpg

For a standard bomber, this is the layout. All the aerial mounts on the fuselage side and the camera bays need deleting.

eARLYrb-36bOMbAY_zpscea44d89.jpg

This layout was used for the first RB variants. Note positioning of blisters. The external aerial fit depended on mission.

RB-36BombBaylayout_zps94aaff36.jpg

This shows the final RB layout, repositioning the blisters allowed the use of the rearmost bay for bombs and or photoflashes.

DSCF2476_zps006d4ec7.jpg

W

Edited by Wolfpack
  • Like 2

I built mine in 1981 when it first came out .......god, I can't believe it was 34 years ago..... :analintruder:

1981 was when I was born, that's not even 33 years ago yet, stop putting extra years on my clock!! :fight::D Awesome build though mate, the trapeze is particularly impressive, I'm inspired to get building this!! God knows where I'd put the finished model though.... or hide the box from the other half!!

To correct the B-36 bomb-bay, depending on variant, here's a few drawings to help. Bear in mind that the bay as supplied is wrong for every variant.

DSCF2476_zps006d4ec7.jpg

W

That's an extremely useful set of drawings Wolfpack which I have downloaded for printing and putting in one of the beasts currently lurking under a bed in the spare room (they won't go through the hatch into the loft).

That is also a good looking model. Is it yours ?

Your reference to T.O. 1B-36®-216. Do you mean T.C.T.O 1B-36®-216 (T.C.T.O. = Time Compliance Tech Order - in English = Modification).

Thanks

Dennis

What- you mean it isn't accurate? Oh nuts! Fortunately I've always had the insane notion of converting to XB-36. And yes, I know that someone offers a conversion set, but the price is loony. I finally picked one up (the B-36, I mean) 2-3 years ago at a show, and I was a bit taken aback when I lifted the lid!

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

That is also a good looking model. Is it yours ?

Your reference to T.O. 1B-36®-216. Do you mean T.C.T.O 1B-36®-216 (T.C.T.O. = Time Compliance Tech Order - in English = Modification).

That's the last B-36 I built, still got another to go. I have a standard B-36 and an RB-36. They do fill up a display table.

Yep, they were the tech orders for the various conversions to the RB variant.

W

That's the last B-36 I built, still got another to go. I have a standard B-36 and an RB-36. They do fill up a display table.

Yep, they were the tech orders for the various conversions to the RB variant.

W

Im glad to hear I'm not the only one with a problem, I have four of the beasts in the stash!

Im glad to hear I'm not the only one with a problem, I have four of the beasts in the stash!

I had four, but did a swap for an Italeri B-52. For my sins, I have a fifth one up for sale.

Of course, the big question is.....WHY HAVEN'T YOU BUILT THEM?

I wish I had a pound for every time I hear the 'It won't fit in my house' excuse. Why buy it in the first place I ask? There's never an answer to that one.

OK, I'll admit that in the average UK residence, the chances of displaying one is almost nil, but they're easy to store and if displayed at a model show, dominate all around. I did a six foot display at Perth this year and took three models, 2 B-36s and a 1/72 Goblin. Filled the space a treat.

What I would recommend to any B-36 builder, is get a copy of the detail and scale book and if humanly possible, Magnesium Overcast by Dennis R Jenkins. With those two tomes, you're ready to rumble.

Looking through the decals I have, some of which are from the kits themselves, and one from an out of production Scalemaster sheet, there are seven aircraft choices. These are:-

01092--B-36H-5 CF(II)**

113730--RB-36H-30 CF(II)@

21382--RB-36H-55 CF(II)@

21375--RB-36H-50 CF(II)*

501087--RB-36H-1 CF(II)*

492097--B-36D#

492020--B-36A / RB-36E(II)#

@Latest issue 2008

** Scalemaster sheet SM-31

*Original 1980 kit issue

#1989 kit issue

The biggest problem comes with the 1989 issue kit, neither marking is appropriate for a B/RB-36H. The kit as originally issued, does not have the required markings for a B-36 and this is also true for the latest issue. Never let it be said that modelling is a simple hobby!

W

What- you mean it isn't accurate? Oh nuts! Fortunately I've always had the insane notion of converting to XB-36. And yes, I know that someone offers a conversion set, but the price is loony. I finally picked one up (the B-36, I mean) 2-3 years ago at a show, and I was a bit taken aback when I lifted the lid!

bob

This is my goal as well, so I'll be following this build up religiously while gleaning all the way through.

How loony is loony? I've been known to be admonished by said other half for my expenditures. Maybe this will be a stealthy purchase once I can find that conversion and a kit to slap it on. :)

I had four, but did a swap for an Italeri B-52. For my sins, I have a fifth one up for sale.

Of course, the big question is.....WHY HAVEN'T YOU BUILT THEM?

I wish I had a pound for every time I hear the 'It won't fit in my house' excuse. Why buy it in the first place I ask? There's never an answer to that one.

The kit as originally issued, does not have the required markings for a B-36 and this is also true for the latest issue. Never let it be said that modelling is a simple hobby![/font][/size]

W

Why haven't I built them? I have a couple of projects ahead of them in the que, most notably the big Intruder/Prowler/Growler build right now. My son and I caught the movie "Strategic Air Command" the other night and the beautiful inflight filming has peaked my interest so perhaps soon the Peacemakers will move to the forefront.

Thanks for the information on the references, I'll be sure to gather them before starting the project. BTW, I too have a few B-52s in storage; 4 Italeri late models and 4 Monogram early!

Eric aka The Yankymodeler

How loony is loony? I've been known to be admonished by said other half for my expenditures. Maybe this will be a stealthy purchase once I can find that conversion and a kit to slap it on. :)

Well, we all have our own notions of loony, but here's a link.

bob

• Like 1

I built mine in 1981 when it first came out .......god, I can't believe it was 34 years ago..... :analintruder:

I converted it into a GRB-36D 'FiCon' - with an Italeri RF-84F (altered to represent the RF-84K)......

ficon_00.jpg

It had a complete 'working' trapeze.....

ficon_10.jpg

ficon_13.jpg

ficon_16.jpg

The complete build is here

Ken

I remember reading that article when it came out.

Stunning work.

What- you mean it isn't accurate? Oh nuts!

The shape is basically OK it's the detail that are a bit out, but nothing an average modeller can't handle with good reference material, (I use Bert Kinzey's Scale and Detail, Squadron 'in action' series, Jay Millers Aerofax etc),.............I've built all the big Monogram bombers including the B-36, BUFF and Hustler and though they all need a bit of remedial work to bring them up to scratch I think they're all great kits and well worth building. It would be wonderful if they could be modernized at some point, recessed lines, decals, PE parts etc but it would be a mammoth task for someone...and no Ian before you say it I'm way too busy !!

Edited by general melchett

I also built this kit when it first came out - it was a commission for my LHS. He took the finished model and hung it from the ceiling in the shop. It was there for several years gathering a lot of dust until one day it did not survive a flat spin and sudden decrease in altitude. Lot of work wasted...

I've seen the B-36 at the USAF museum in Dayton, it is indeed a monster. I don't believe the B-36 was all natural metal, as the areas with magnesium skin were painted silver. Looking at the B-36 at Dayton, the belly is anti-flash white, and most of the rest of the airframe appears to be painted silver. But then, you can't really see the top of the plane when it's towering above you! There may be some natural metal panels up there!

Cheers,

Bill

I made one of these many years ago. Now in need of some new propellers. What I did to prevent a tail sitter was to cut out the square "panel" behind the cockpit (where the electronic turret retracted?) and use the opening to add sufficient weight to keep the nosewheel firmly on the ground. I replaced the "panel" with some suitably thin plastic card. Problem solved.

• 5 months later...