Airfix SAAB 37 Viggen - Prototype 1:72

Here is my contribution to this group build. So many wonderful and yet awful kits to choose from...

I've decided to join in with the ancient Viggen from Airfix.

Like most Viggen kits it's based on the early prototypes. This and the Frog/Hasegawa kit is obsolete due to the not so horrible Heller kit and in some way even the Matchbox one!

I wanted to build me a model of the first prototype since I'm holding a "Viggen Special Interest Group" at the local Model show in Malmö, Sweden October 26. So I must have a prototype in my collection...

Here we go...

137_zps07de8e7e.jpg

So far so good!?

I'm not going to detail the cockpit since the canopy is rubbish.

I might use some leftover bits from a Heller Viggen. I've painted the interior dark green which I'm told is correct for a prototype.

I've been trying to do something decent of the really awful air intakes but...

145_zpsab8ced59.jpg

• Like 1

The fuselage is glued together and so is the upper and lower wing parts. I've decided to rescribe the whole thing. I think it would look odd otherwise.

The early Viggens were unpainted and the fit is horribe so all "surface detail" will disappear and it will show.

I'm building this thing at the hospital so I have limited supply of tools and paint. This kit is a perfect way to spend some time.

I'm using the tip of my modelling knife to scribe in the detail. I'm following the raised lines then I sand them down.

My trusty riveter will also be used to add something nice to look at.

148_zpsca5d0b33.jpg

I'm an idiot.

Airfix have moulded a strange rectangular shape below the exhaust on this kit. So I cursed a little and removed it.

Guess what?

Airfix was right! I was wrong...

After checking pictures I noticed that the prototypes actually had this detail!

So I guess that I have add this with plasticard later.

161_zpsa6688f73.jpg

Looking fine so far Rudolf (Rudi)? - what do you use for filler (I use Vallejo plastic putty; but have heard mr surfacer is much better)?

Pete

This one is certainly taking shape rapidly. You mentioned working on this one at the hospital Rudolf - I hope you are in good health?

I'm using a fantastic putty from a company called Hagmans, I believe it's a Swedish brand. It sands very easy and it's cheap.

Yes, I'm using this kit as a way to pass some time here at the hospital. In January my son was born. He was born with some faults.

Congenital heart defect was one of the worst problems. So me and my wife have been staying at the hospital with him for 8 months now.

I'm sorry for my lousy English but I'm very tired and my brain don't seem to work anymore... :banghead:

No need to appologise for your English skills Rudolf as I can find no fault with it. I hope your son makes a full recovery and I'm glad you are able to model as a break from such a stressful situation.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...