Bristol Blenheim Twin Build - Frog & Airfix - Finished !

Coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing the Airfix kit finished, as I have this in the stash as well. I actually took

it out today, although when I'd seen what you'd done so far, I put it away again :winkgrin: .

Sean

Fantastic work Neil,

You make these old kits look like brand new releases,.......you`ve done a fantastic job on those cockpits mate,

Cheers for now,

Tony O

I was quite happy with my dashboard but now feel obliged to do better. That's some very nice work in those cockpits, well done. With the Falcon canopies these will be little marvels!

I'll get some Simonz tomorrow, I'm happy with the Halfords but it is a little dark for some finishes. Thanks for the Heads Up.

Not been taking many pics this week but have managed to get all the big bits together and the fuselages re-scribed. What a chore that was ! The tail feathers on the AF kit have benefitted from some solar trim strips and in the progress of having the lights fitted on the rudder. I left the Frog feathers as they are apart from some scribing, whist different, I do want to finish this side of my funeral ! The cockpits need a bit of tidying up and there's some other touches of filler still needed, but happy with the progress.

wings-on-1_zpse5451b44.jpg

wings-on-2_zpsc5310c9d.jpg

Close up of the Frog kit - the wing roots have been faired with Miliput. The cooling gills haven't been made yet.

wings-on-5_zps8c3bbbfa.jpg

And the AF kit

wings-on-4_zpse321a633.jpg

wings-on-3_zps76aa1ac1.jpg

af-cockpit-5_zps218c56df.jpg

frog-cockpit-1_zps428554c0.jpg

Cheers, Neil

• Like 5

They both look fabulous! Even getting the Airfix kit up to the standard of the Frog would be great, but these have both gone a lot further!

Are you going to add the hatch just in front of the turret? It seems quite prominent in some photos, but not in others. There are a couple of photos in this link here that show the hatch pretty clearly on both marks.

Regards,
Adrian

Cheers guys, got quite a bit done this weekend in between everything else.

Adrian, I'd forgotten about the hatch but got round to doing it earlier - just a simple rescribe; no windows. I might make a little square punch that I can heat up and 'melt' hand holds into the surface.

Next milestone will be the canopies which I'm dreading. I tried using the airfix kit canopy as a cutting template for the masks, but the window sizes are nothing like the Falcon part. I haven't decided whether to make individual window masks or to just mask the whole cockpit for painting and use solar trim to make the frames afterwards like I did with the Whitley. Decisions..........

Neil

Cheers Chris :)

Made a start on the canopies. I've decided to add the frames using solar trim which will allow the whole canopy to be masked whilst painting. The frames will then be freehand painted, which with a raised edge isn't too bad to do. I find it really difficult to cut and mask against these flimsy canopies so hopefully this is easier. The Airfix canopy fits very well, the Frog one will need some manipulation. Also added the missing left hand window to the Frog part as the original one had a corner cut off to fit the unmolested kit which was cut away. This was made using spare acetate off the Falcon sheet and reinforced with thin plasticard strip behind. The canopies were dipped in Kleer once the frames added which also helps to seal the solar trim on for added security during the lots of handling that still needs to happen. These fiddly parts are a real chore after a day at work, quite looking forwards to an OOB build next !

canopies-1_zpsf25e99a6.jpg

canopies-2_zps63c632bd.jpg

canopies-3_zps35a174cb.jpg

• Like 3

All that lovely work in the 'pits deserves to be seen through a nice clear canopy. These two really are turning out to be fantastic replicas :thumbsup:

Cheers guys. I've been dreading the canopies and the fear is well justified !

So damn fiddly. A dry fit indicates that I need to somehow build the fuselage up around the rear of the canopy to get a flush fit so further work is required before it goes on. The Airfix is looking a little more straight forwards although the bomb aimer panel was a complete pig. I am looking forwards to moving beyond this stage !

Now there's something you don't see every day.....An Airfix Blenheim with a canopy that fits! :coolio:

Have you offered-up the original part to the cockpit at all? My last one had gaps of over 1mm in places! :shutup:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

Now there's something you don't see every day.....An Airfix Blenheim with a canopy that fits! :coolio:

Have you offered-up the original part to the cockpit at all? My last one had gaps of over 1mm in places! :shutup:

The original didn't fit too badly, typical early Airfx so far from perfect though! When I say the Falcon one fits OK, a lot of dry fitting and shimming the fuselage was done earlier in the build to achieve this. Sick of looking at the ruddy canopies at the moment, need to get to the painting stage for sanities sake !

• 2 weeks later...

Stick it out Neil,......it will be worth it! If you feel like throwing them at a wall,..count to ten and remember how many people are looking forward to seeing these two beauties finished,......... they will look great alongside your Whitley,

Cheers

Tony

ps- You`ll be starting an Airfix Hampden next knowing you!

I'm not an aircraft builder these days but I am planning a few on the upcoming What-If III GB.

I do like what you're doing with these vintage kits. I hope I can get half as close with the detail but just knocking them together at this stage will be a challenge. My 'thing' is AFV kits so the construction follows a slightly different path.

Looking forwards to the finished items.

Stick it out Neil,......it will be worth it! If you feel like throwing them at a wall,..count to ten and remember how many people are looking forward to seeing these two beauties finished,......... they will look great alongside your Whitley,

Cheers

Tony

ps- You`ll be starting an Airfix Hampden next knowing you!

Hi Tony,

Cheers mate, going to be doing a couple of Hase Hurricanes next as another double build (Hurricanes in foreign service) I think or the Hase Grandslam before the Hampden gets done, need something more OOB after these are finished for a break !

Not been able to get much done over the last few weeks, that game of real life keeps getting in the way !

I took a picture of the progess this morning, however a bit more is done now so the next step is getting some paint on....yeee haaaaaaaa !!!!

Got the wingtip lights done after this pic was taken and the nacelles for the Frog kit are now done but not in the picture. The canopies are all fixed down (Shalako, these things make me swear lol !!) and the frames will get painted freehand which isn't so bad as the solar trim has a nice edge to run the brush against

prime-1_zpsfcffdc06.jpg

Thanks for watching :)

• Like 1