Models in WH Smiths

Julien

Happy to say that at the Cardiff WHS/MZ branch we have now a good supply of the new AIRFIX LIGHTNING, JAVELIN , HARRIER GR1 HARRIER & BII LANCASTER.

The 20% off vouchers given out are good until the 31st Jan and some of the magazines have vouchers with longer dates.

We're also setting up a small area to display customer (and our) builds - to try to encourage more people into our hobby.

Cheers all

...more intel as we get it.

Thats good news.

Are you able to check in some way which stores are going to be doing them. I am interested in the Inverness Branch up here in Scotland.

Thnx for the support.

As a modellor it used to annoy me (in the old Modelzone) the amount of times I heard a parent desuade a child from buying a model 'because you had to build it'. Sorry - I thought that was the idea of a model.

The things is; if there isn't someone in your life that actually makes models you will never see what they actually look like built.

We found that having an area showing the built kits encouraged new modellors and that has to be good for us all. It certainly sold more kits than before we had it.

I`m afraid there`s only 10 MZs so far, and the only one in Scotland at present is Glasgow Sacusenhall (probably spelt wrong). I`m sure there`ll be more with time and the support from the modelling (and train) communities. :-)

• Like 3

Thnx for the support.

We found that having an area showing the built kits encouraged new modellors and that has to be good for us all. It certainly sold more kits than before we had it.

Couldn't agree more...I wish my local Toymaster store would do something similar, but there is no creativity in their management.

They are always well stocked on the basic Airfix and Revell kits, but don't do anything to stimulate new modellers interest - a window display of finished models would be great, perhaps with a monthly competition for the best entry.

As a youth many years ago I used to spend hours drooling over exquisitely built Tamiya 1/32 F14's and Phantoms in my local Harrow Model Shop window (shop is long since defunct) and it certainly inspired me to pour my money into the shop and into plastic in general (although 30 years later those specific kits have still not quite made it into my stash.)

Edited by sennapod
  • Like 1

On occasion I am forced to look at things objectively, and in this frame of mind I would be surprised to see an MZ annex to a branch of WHS locally (to London-centric people "Reading is the West Country, isn't it?"), but I would have though that a dozen Airfix/Revell starter kits might have worked their way onto a peg or three of the local town centre branches. Nothing yet.

Given that the one in Inverness has actually stopped selling kits now the MZ deal has been done, makes me wonder if the terms include a clause that WH SMiths will not sell models for their own profit in none MZ containing stores?

Either way, it seems ironic that a deal to sell models has been made, and in my store, they now actually dont sell any.

I'd gladly give the WHMZ at Metrocentre some of my builds to be displayed. It would be great on both fronts, I would gain display space and my models would be seen by hundreds, and it would help entice people to by the kits.

• Like 1

Thnx for the support.

As a modellor it used to annoy me (in the old Modelzone) the amount of times I heard a parent desuade a child from buying a model 'because you had to build it'. Sorry - I thought that was the idea of a model.

The things is; if there isn't someone in your life that actually makes models you will never see what they actually look like built.

I agree on both counts, though what really gets me is when parents tell their offspring "you haven't got the patience for that". As I tell them, sometimes through gritted teeth, perhaps modelling is just the thing for their child to learn a little patience.

And a display of completed kits will often draw people into the shop.

Edited by T7 Models

Hi all

Here`s the little display that we`ve put together. If it helps to encourage new modellors, or to sell some more kits than it`s a win for everyone. :-)

The kits I used are the Airfix Typhoon, the new Airfix Hawker Typhoon and the new Mk1 Airfix Hurricane.

display.jpg

• Like 7

That is a nice display, though I wonder if having one of the kits in a part made, or made but unpainted, state might generate even more interest?

I was a bit surprised to see that cardboard box with a glue tube on display. I haven't used such for years, and was confirmed in this by my sister-in-law who borrowed a "bottle with brush" polyglue for some reason and was ecstatic about how much easier it was than the glue tubes she was used to, when helping her son with his kits (hi Pete, some years ago now!). I find the needle applicators even better, but they should be sold with a piece of household wiring to push down them to keep them clear!

• Like 2

That is a nice display, though I wonder if having one of the kits in a part made, or made but unpainted, state might generate even more interest?

That's exactly what I was going to say . . . .

Well the Ipswich WHS has taken a backwards step...

About 6 months ago they started selling kits - Airfix, Revell, Tamiya - paints, bits and bobs, and Hornby railway stuff.

A nice big display, lots of items.

I went in there on Tuesday and couldn't find the display which had taken up almost a full wall upstairs, about 5 - 6 shelves deep.

Searching, I found the 'model' stuff now comprises 3 shelves about three feet long among the Lego stuff......

That's INCLUDING the Hornby stuff!

And most of the shelf space was empty. I counted a total of seven Airfix kits, 12 Tamiya's and 4 Revell.

Oh well - nowt in Ipswich again.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Popped into the Modelzone/W H Smith shop in Manchester today and came away with the Airfix EE Lightning F.2A, courtesy of a 20% off voucher I picked up just before Christmas.

I noticed that I seemed to be the only customer, though.

HI

Thx for the suggestions. I like the idea too, but as they are my kits they need to be fully built so as to be used in displays at a museum I help run.

We now have in the Airfix JU88, and the new Tiger Moth is due next week - or the week after if not. I1ll post here once it arrives.

Other new models we have scheduled for Feb are:

• Airfix Hurricane Mk 1 ( I'm not sure if 1/72 or 1/48 yet)
  • Airfix Boeing 727
  • Revell 1:44 Saturn V
  • Revell Seafire giftset
  • Revell HMS Kelly giftset

More intel as I hear it. There's also the MZ website - which is found on the WH Smiths site.

Finally; just a quick plug for the model show at the Barry Island based Glamorgan Wartime Heritage Centre, Sun Mar 9th. Our museum will also be exhibiting at the Fleet Air Arm model show, Feb 15th.

Cheers

So that's two litte model shops in Meadow hall one in the Lanes and now in Smiths

I didn't know there was a model shop in the Lanes now. I remember there was one a few years ago, but it closed down (got a couple of bargains in the closing sale!). I'll have to have a look next time I'm in Meadowhall.