Royal Danish Airforce RF-84G

Hi guys,

I had a discussion with a mate at lunch today about the last time I built a Tamiya kit and I'm sad to say that it's been more than 10 years. Shock horror!!! I know.....don't worry, I've made amends by cracking out the fantabulosoriffic snap-tite (well it seems that way)1/48 Tamiya F-84G AND in non USAF markings.....not that that's a bad thing This one will be an RDAF RF-84G...you know, the ones with the Fletcher tip tanks housing the camera installation on the port wing...yeah...me neither.

It took a bit of hunting around to find out information on these machines however luck has favoured the fortunate and I've got the goods I need. M.A.D.S (Model Art Decal System) has been the Fletcher camera tank; Quickboost have provided a resin seat; the Hobbycraft 1/48 T-33 kit has kindly donated the starboard tank just to make it look evenish and HiDecal have come to the rescue with decals. The scheme will be the Dark Green/dark grey over PRU blue with some flashy emerald green tip tanks.

Enough waffle...we want pics. Well, here you go.

Detail painting of the cockpit has started. Still a bit more work to do but you get the general idea. Decent cockpit photos of the F-84G are hard to come by. Pardon the blurry pics too...a tweak on the camera next time will fix that.

2013_10_08_4589_resize_1024_zpsbb0759a0.

2013_10_08_4590_resize_1024_zpsb999e84b.

The MADS tank is really well cast. Just a copy of the Hobyycraft tank with the camera face shaped on the underside of the nose. I'll cut out the recess and build a camera lens to give it some interest and then cut some acetate sheet for the housing window.

2013_10_08_4603_resize_1024_zps70a467de.

Here it is installed on the port wing tip. The fit is great as it appears they've used the Tamiya wingtip in the grafting exercise similar to my attempt in the following photo.

2013_10_08_4613_resize_1024_zpsc2ba8efb.

The Hobbycraft tank grafted onto the wingtip and smoothed in with some of Milliputt finest two part filler. A wee bit of clean up needed but close enough for this bloke.

2013_10_08_4611_resize_1024_zpsb347452f.

Speed brake bay all prettied up.

2013_10_08_4595_resize_1024_zpsb3937c06.

I think we'll leave these two to their own devices shall we?

2013_10_08_4600_resize_1024_zpsd6b02a99.

The great thing about these Tamiya kits is with some creative painting the parts can really pop. No aftermarket needed here. Colours are Mr Color Chromate Yellow with Vallejo details and Games Workshop oil wash.

2013_10_08_4606_resize_1024_zpsc60d9a06.

And the bits that hold it all up.

2013_10_08_4599_resize_1024_zps5b98c52c.

Thanks for stopping by and as always comments, critique and beer are welcome.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 5

An RF-84G?

Now, this is something that I need to see!!!! A very rare and interesting subject.

What references did you use? Any good book perhaps?

Looking forward to see the next steps of your build mate.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Sernak

An RF-84G?

Now, this is something that I need to see!!!! A very rare and interesting subject.

What references did you use? Any good book perhaps?

Looking forward to see the next steps of your build mate.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Sernak

Thanks Sernak. It does make an interesting subject.

The reference I have are an inflight photo of three RF-84's with the camera tanks displayed quite prominently. The closest aircraft in the photo is in the green/grey/blue scheme. The next aircraft is in NMF with a replacement camo right wing which I may opt for as it is a visually interesting subject. There's a link to a Danish modelling website that has the photo along with an RF-84 after a belly landing incident which shows damage to the underside camera fairing. I'll see if I can find them.

This is the MADS product page. The tank is about halfway down. http://www.modartdec.com/mads.html And this is the decal sheet http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/ISL/Hi-Decal_Line/1.48/48011-48020/48017_F-84G/HD48017.htm

Cheers

Mick

Edit - Found it here http://www.danskemodelbyggere.dk/forum/index.php?topic=2661.0

Edited by Mick Drover

• 3 weeks later...

G'day Diego.

I have made progress on the model since this post. All the main assemblies are complete. I've got some fiddly stuff to do prior to priming such as canopy masking and some small additions to the fuselage. I've hollowed out the camera housing in the tip tank and fashioned a camera lens from the tubing of an ear cleaning bud. I've taken pics but I haven't posted them up yet. I should have them posted over the weekend. Glad to hear the you're enjoying build.

Cheers

Mick

The Model Art Decal System catalogue - ref.M.Access 004

Source: http://www.modartdec.com/mads.html

6763983_orig.gif

V.P.

That's the one Homebee.

Mick

• Like 1

Hi Mick,

Fantastic work so far :speak_cool: Can't wait to see this colorful bird finished!

Any progress since your last post?

Greetings

Diego

Diego,

As mentioned, the latest progress on the model.

I hollowed out the Model Art tip tank with the Dremel and made a camera lens from the tubing from an ear bud.

2013_10_20_4680_zps302df5bc.jpg

The underside vent had a few small gaps that have been filled in with Mr Surfacer and polished out. I'll rescribe the panel lines around this vent.

2013_10_20_4683_zps1f96aed9.jpg

The intake nose ring was slightly larger than the fuselage so I've also faired this area in with Mr Surfacer too. I think was my own doing rather than the kit as I think I may have applied too much pressure when joining the fuselage halve.

2013_10_20_4679_zps03fd7103.jpg

Gear legs aren't glued yet. More to test that it won't be a tail sitter.

It should be hitting the paint both this weekend.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 2

Hi again guys. A short update with this one.

A handy technique for creating clear parts over a flat face in this case the window for the camera housing in the tip tank.

Mark the edge of the shape with some HB pencil lead.

2013_10_26_4728_zpsd21a6d1f.jpg

Lay over some clear film, in this case some clear book covering contact. The film picks up the graphite and then lay the film over the acetate sheet and cut away. Sadly, I didn't get a shot of just the film with the graphite on it.

2013_10_26_4729_zps9e34d7e1.jpg

Final result after some test fitting and tidying up. Unfortunately this technique only really works for a flat surface.

2013_10_26_4730_zps0554bc31.jpg

More over the weekend.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 2

Great job! Can't wait to see this beauty painted :speak_cool:

Are you planning to do the camouflaged bird or the NMF one with replacement camouflaged wing ?

Greetings

Diego

G'day Diego,

It I'm doing the all over camo jet. As attractive as it is, I think I need to practice my NMF painting efforts before committing to that scheme. I'd love to do that jet as it certainly is interesting but I don't want to stuff it up and end up stripping it.

Glad you like it.

Cheers

Edited by Mick Drover

G'day folks,

Well it went into the spraybooth over the weekend for its first round of painting. I'm in the stage of getting of colour matching at the moment. As I almost exclsuively spray Gunze paints, I've had to match the PRU blue to the Model Master (so much for exclusive) PRU blue. The Hasegawa 1/48 "Spitfire Mk.7/8 Pointed Wing" http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10199062t2/60/2 state Gunze H56 Intermediate Blue however I don't think it's even close. Here you can see the H56 upplied to the underside. It's a good colour to start with but it's no mackerel.

So, as a bit of an SBS, I'll run you through. Note that all colours are over the base Gunze H56 Intermediate Blue.

This isn't a scientifically approved method as I was adding paint to the colour in cup as I progressed so the amounts may vary depending on what hemisphere you're in, barometric wet bulb temperature and how you like your eggs.

The colour chip sitting on the model is the progression of the colours as I mixed in others. I think number 7 is the closest I'll get to the PRU after all I will have some underside grime and weathering effects going over the top of it.

Note that the paint is thinned quite a lot using the Gunze Mr Color lacquer thinner.

1. Gunze H67 RLM 65 Light Blue - 5 misted coats
  2. Gunze H67 RLM 65 Light Blue - 3 misted coats
  3. Gunze H67 RLM 65 Light Blue + 3 drops H94 Clear green - 5 misted coats
  4. Gunze H67 RLM 65 Light Blue + 3 drops H94 Clear green + 5 drops H322 Phthalocyanine Blue - 5 misted coats
  5. Gunze H67 RLM 65 Light Blue + 3 drops H94 Clear green + 5 drops H322 Phthalocyanine Blue + H67 RLM 65 Light Blue - 5 misted coats
  6. Gunze H67 RLM 65 Light Blue + 3 drops H94 Clear green + 5 drops H322 Phthalocyanine Blue + 3 drops H67 RLM 65 Light Blue + 5 drops H56 Intermediate blue - 2 misted coats
  7. Gunze H67 RLM 65 Light Blue + 3 drops H94 Clear green + 5 drops H322 Phthalocyanine Blue + 3 drops H67 RLM 65 Light Blue + 5 drops H56 Intermediate blue - 5 misted coats

Anyway, I'll let you guys cast an objective eye over it.

Cheers

Mick

numbered_paint_zpsf988ed70.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Diego,

I have the topside grey on the model however I need to add more contrast to it. Once I get this done I'll get some pics up. As we're now about to arrive in December modelling time starts to be absorbed by work Christmas functions, kids graduation ceremonies and other festivous season activites...ie drinking.

I'll try and get some pics of the progress up over the coming the weekend.

Cheers

Mick

Hi Mick,

Good news indeed! I can't wait to see the current state of your project :clap2:

Hopefully, beside all the important things we all need to do during the Christmas period, you will also find some time for modelling :beer:

Greetings

Diego

• 1 year later...

Hi chaps,

Nothing like reviving an older build eh?

The Tamiya RF-84G has made its way back into the booth to complete the camo after a long time on the shelf of doom. My first success with using blue tack rolls for the soft came edge. I'd tried the technique on smaller scale aircraft and usually gave up in frustration because the rolls were too thin and were fiddly to place, in this case I'm happy with the way it turned out. Paints are various shades of gunze to end up with the dark green and medium sea grey. I alway love the reveal when the masks are pulled away and this proved to be the case here.

Thanks for stopping by.

Mick

RF-84G%20before%20and%20after%202%20of%2

RF-84G%20before%20and%20after%201%20of%2

RF-84G%20before%20and%20after%203%20of%2

RF-84G%20before%20and%20after%204%20of%2

RF-84G%20before%20and%20after%205%20of%2

• Like 9

If you should think of making another Danish one, I can recommend this book:

Republic F-84E 6 G Thunderjet - Royal Danish Air force service 1951-1961

He published his drawings originally in Danmil 4, some thirty years ago.

Stoppel Hobby has the decals.

Edited by NPL
  • Like 1

Belated praise. I had ambitions of trying this in 1/72. It wasn't until the decals arrived that I discovered about the tip-tank modification , but had no details about what it looked like. So thanks for that anyway. Good luck with the rest.