Small 1:350 diorama - CA-38 'USS San Francisco'

Rob 1

Apologies for the messy title, but this is going to be a lengthy build in parts; first part is a district harbour tug, second a major warship, finally a portion of dockside, to make up a small diorama.

I wanted to do the chosen ship for a while, then decided to do her alongside. I got hold of Alliance Modelworks 1:350 Woban class district harbour tug, which was described as being widely used by the U.S. Navy throughout the war.

YT-142001_zps9dbba7cd.jpg

I was originally planning to do this subject at Mare Island, but after quite a bit of research found that Woban class tugs didn't arrive there (12 Naval District) in the year I want to show my model (1942), but a few were serving in the 14th Naval District - Pearl Harbour, so that is where this will be based, which fits in well with this ship's activities at the right time.

The Allaince Modelworks kit is very finely made, and is complete with ample resin parts and full set of photo-etch, and ample decals.

This first stage included full assembly, including all required photo etch fitted. I normally limit initial building in major assemblies, but the small size of this kit made the whole thing like one assembly. Also the port holes had very little depth so I drilled them out to show a dark interior. Also the bridge windows were solid, so I took the gamble of drilling them out, and squaring the corners with a fine craft knife, as best as I could manage with the solid resin bridge.

YT-142002_zps7a753176.jpg

YT-142003_zps5058f1d2.jpg

YT-142004_zpsc7ed7cef.jpg

YT-142005_zps439e23aa.jpg

YT-142006_zpsc6027109.jpg

More to follow as this progresses.

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 6

This was the quickest build ever for me, now primed (as photos below) and main colours just been added. I normally use Halfords primer from their large spray can, it goes on smooth and pretty much any paint type goes over it without any problems (that I've come across). Some people don't bother with primer, but I prefer it to give a firm and even base coat to add the finish paint to.

Also planning to add plenty of 'clutter' on the decks, to make this look a working vessel, so giving some of the newly required L'Arsenal gear a go.

YT-142008_zps606990b9.jpg

YT-142007_zps7123876c.jpg

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 5

Thanks for your comments.

Some more photos now, with the main colours on. This is the clean version, before any weathering or extra details have been added.

I had to check the colour schemes. This particular little tug featured in a famous photo in a Life magazine shortly before the war, with what appeared to be a black hull and light grey vertical surfaces above (which is the photo used on the box).

Nokomis_zpsd5f96a57.jpg

Photo above linked courtesy of NavSource.org

I would have liked this scheme, but it seems to have gone by 1942. The scheme for coastal craft was then Ocean Grey (5-O) sides and Deck Blue (20-B ) decks, and photos (and a great colour video fond on You-Tube) backed this up.

Added the Deck Blue to the decks in this photo, also slightly lightened up in the middle with a spray of a slightly lighter shade (where working and sunlight may have faded the colour).

YT-142011_zpsc8b462b5.jpg

YT-142009_zpse53d6671.jpg

And below with the Ocean Grey added to the sides, mostly airbrushed on but touched up at the edges by brush, and other colour details added.

YT-142019_zpsdf1c021f.jpg

YT-142017_zps4e19ffee.jpg

YT-142018_zps7c9da064.jpg

The fun bit starts from here on in!!! :)

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 4

Been working on weathering and detailing the tug. Additional detail has been added to create a busy look, with crates, timber, oil drums, and some rope on the main deck area (similar to as seen on photos of Woban class tugs). The rope was made from reeled cotton out of the wife's sewing basket, covered in PVA and formed into lengths laid flat on the deck, and painted to look like old natural fibre rope. The other items mostly sourced from the L'Arsenal sets below, along with timber planks from some left over wooden deck from my last ship build.

YT-142013_zps2b910d6f.jpg

YT-142012_zps9d85ff70.jpg

YT-142014_zps12947283.jpg

Now working on a few crew members, updated photos to follow soon.

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 1

Time for an update. Most of the work done now, just a few more minor details and some tidying up to do.

These are poor photos, but will take some better ones when finally done, which should be in the next few days.

Tug1_zps05959300.jpg

Tug2_zps6b05c6ae.jpg

Tug3_zpsfc8f6254.jpg

Tug4_zps8003e21e.jpg

and a couple to show it's relative size:

Onpaint_zps281c3e47.jpg Inhand_zps8100a37a.jpg

• Like 7

Looking superb, at such a small scale too!

Pete

Thanks.

I'm also starting to get a few bits together for the quayside, and got hold of some of the excellent new 1:350 L'arsenal vehicles.

Here I've painted up a couple of Ford saloon cars as Naval staff cars and a Jeep, plus a civilian car. I'll be adding a few more vehicles in due course.

2_zps3fb7957f.jpg

6_zps886556db.jpg

• Like 3

:thanks:

Doing the final works on the tug adding more ropes, the anchor (which I managed to forget :doh: ), and moved one or two guys around into slightly better positions. I'm aiming for her to be completed by this weekend, then after finishing the 'starter' will move onto the 'main course' ... one of these:

1100571.jpg

I've gathered a collection of photos of cruisers at Mare Island and Pearl Harbour, of which there are a suprisingly good amount of high quality ones available, particularly on Navsource.org. I'm aiming for something resembling one of them but not one in particular, and aiming for 1942 where she was before she goes off to see some amazing and brutal action around Guadalcanal in late '42 in a number of famous actions against Japanese cruisers and a battleship.

I love cruisers, particularly these classic pre-war heavy cruisers, and although the Portland class came out recently, I quite like the look and build of the Astoria class, and out of them it had to be the most decorated of them all; the USS San Francisco.

Edited by Rob 1

Oh I should read the intro better, I thought it was just the tug and pier you were doing. I notice on the box San Fran has a lenght of 51cms, your small diorama is larger than my big dio. Going on the finish you have achieved here and on your builds in RFI you are going to have no troubles with this at all,

I can't get over how fine the paint work is on you cars, its amazing. With your attention to detail I really do suggest going to town on this project as you are allready past small and basic :)

I'll consider the District Tug 'Nokomis' finished (for now). I will probably continue fine tweaking the weathering and perhaps adding more working bits and pieces on the decks - its like doing a drawing or painting; you could go on and on adding and tweaking and it never finishing. I'm generally pleased with it, such as the oil drums and the faded knees on the guys jeans came out well :)

Anyway, some better photos as promised.

Nokomis1_zps3a1cd441.jpg

Nokomis2_zps02999b74.jpg

The water's a complete cheat by the way, its just sat on the page of a book with a photo of sea water, to provide an instant backdrop.

Edited by Rob 1
  • Like 4

20Oct13-01_zpsb9009e48.jpg

20Oct13-02_zpsbfdfa387.jpg

Made a start on CA-38 USS San Francisco this weekend, starting with unboxing and checking the quality of the goods.

I've read certain reviews, and on the whole this Trumpeter kit received fairly good feedback, especially considering it's not the newest kit out, although among the latest generation, also the Gold Medal Models photo-etch set received high praise.

On the whole, I am pleased with the quality and finish, although the thickness of the hand railing was a little disapointing compared to the Pontos set I'd used on my previous ship build. The photo-etch includes most things expected such as railings, ladders, cranes, catapults, radars, etc. including a decent amount of parts for the aircraft, and seemed to have a number of extra parts for later modifications such as later radar sets.

20Oct13-04_zpsaac2b169.jpg

20Oct13-03_zpsbd649353.jpg

Edited by Rob 1

That's interesting that you're doing the same one! How's your progress going? any problems so far?

My work has started with demolition, cutting and carving.

The anchor facilities on the hull and deck look a bit 'numb', so have received some remedial work. The hawse pipes have been drilled out and shaped a little in both the hull and deck. I found a fairly good photo of one of the class showing the chain going through the hawse in the deck, and will need a bit of photo-etch mesh from spare stock to cover part of the opening in due course, and will re-form the anchors a little to fit correctly up the hawses. Also the moulded on chain was dire, so carved it off to a clean deck, and will add seperate chain in due course (will need to source some).

The GMM instruction also point out a glaring error with the 5" gun shields all moulded on the deck back to front! so have carved them off as the GMM set provides a full set of replacements and a 1:350 template to aid bending to the correct shape, so should go on fairly easily (hopefully). Its good to change them for the photo-etch ones even if they were the right way round, as the replacements are nice and fine - see last photo below.

Also drilled out all the scuttles, to just appear as a clear dark open hole for each.

20Oct13-05_zps6e28fdb1.jpg

20Oct13-06_zps9c8ea2dc.jpg

20Oct13-07_zps1452fa6a.jpg

20Oct13-08_zpsf462de1c.jpg

The tug is a beauty, I'm sure the cruiser will be as well. I'm curious as to how you get such a neat separation between decks and vertical surfaces using an airbrush without masking. Is it just very fine brush control, or is there a trick to it? Would it still work if there was more contrast between the two colours?

Thanks,

Will

• Like 1