MiG-21MF Syrian Air Force

Interesting times to build this kit. With another upheaval in Middle East and this kit lying in my stash for some time, I thought this is the best time to build it.

Its an Academy 1/48 MiG-21 with the following aftermarket sets

- Afterburner decals 48-084 Fabulous Fishbeds

- Aires 4049, cockpit detail set

- Quickboost air scoops 48-021

- Begemot 1/48 MiG-21 stencils 48-003

If you want Academy kit to be a great projects, Aires cockpit and Begemot decals are a must.

The weapons except rocket pods, come from sprues donated by a friend modeler at another forum. All Academy weapons are wrong.

IMG_6622.jpg

IMG_6515.jpg

IMG_6513.jpg

IMG_6555.jpg

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6609.jpg

IMG_6624.jpg

IMG_6629.jpg

Edited by stalal
  • Like 7

Have been following this in WIP. Very nice, well done but those maintenance and warning stencils are a wow factor that make it look great. Combine that with the weathering and it's superb. The last time I built a model with that many markings on I was tempted to go for a parachute jump to calm down!

• Like 1

Have been following this in WIP. Very nice, well done but those maintenance and warning stencils are a wow factor that make it look great. Combine that with the weathering and it's superb. The last time I built a model with that many markings on I was tempted to go for a parachute jump to calm down!

Those Begemot Decals, which I missed to mention in my original post were superb. I have only put half of them. It took me 4 nights and one full day to do just the stencils ans I was tired!!

Those Begemot Decals, which I missed to mention in my original post were superb. I have only put half of them. It took me 4 nights and one full day to do just the stencils ans I was tired!!

Only half! Years back at Nellis AFB I had a close look around a few Russian aircraft and I remember that a couple of them were awash with stencil detail, some of them had been repainted to disguise previous identity and had a bit less. Sad to say we were not allowed to photograph them.

Very nice! What paints did you use?

Tamiya Olive Green & Tamiya Flesh, mixed with several Gunze colors in earth tones. Gunze 302 for radome and sensor at top of the vertical fin. Underneath its Tamiya or Gunze RLM Light Blue.

• 2 weeks later...