Sherman 'crate' on front fender

fingers

I'm just finishing a dragon Sherman mk3 (mid production Sicily), on this tank there is a crate/basket arrangement on the front left hand fender (as you look at it), what I need to know is what was its intended use? And would it be okay to fill it with a selection of stowage as I'm sure the crews would have?

It held a couple of 2 gallon 'flimsies' water containers usually - see here

MoonrakerII.jpg

Road wheel in this one with cans tied in front

A2Sicily.jpg

Plenty more images on Google - just type Sherman III and see what comes up, it should help you to decide

Hi Gents, thanks for the replies.

I did google for images to i.d. what the crate was for but found nothing conclusive and I could only find a rear view of the Tank I decided to build so their particular use was not clear. It would seem to me that as the sand skirts were removed/fell off later in the war that these fittings weren't retained so that would also reduce photographic evidence. The Dragon version of this crate is also quite a bit larger, than those above, so it was either a different version or badly modeled, I would say it was large enough for two or three jerry cans let alone two 2 gallon flimsies.

I think it's heading for the bric a brac style of stowage.

If you're interested in the subject matter- this book is invaluable.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/britain/concord7068bookreviewab_1.html

Another good trick you see a lot on Italy tanks was the wedging of a plank or metal bar between the projecting ends of the transmission cases to create a little shelf on which you usually see jerry cans. It's a handy mod to make on the Dragon model because my 'early-production' transmission cover and brass sand guards do not fit very snugly and I can use this to cover up the gap with stowage. Stowage!- the clumsy modellers 'get out of jail free' card!

Will

If you're interested in the subject matter- this book is invaluable.

http://www.missing-lynx.com/reviews/britain/concord7068bookreviewab_1.html

Another good trick you see a lot on Italy tanks was the wedging of a plank or metal bar between the projecting ends of the transmission cases to create a little shelf on which you usually see jerry cans. It's a handy mod to make on the Dragon model because my 'early-production' transmission cover and brass sand guards do not fit very snugly and I can use this to cover up the gap with stowage. Stowage!- the clumsy modellers 'get out of jail free' card!

Will

Thanks for the info. I had seen pictures of the front plank arrangement but as I was aiming at a particular vehicle I decided to opt out, although the rear had a plank arrangement around the back and partially along the sides which I did do a rough summation of.

'Stowage!- the clumsy modellers 'get out of jail free' card!' Not forgetting a good dollop of mud throw up,

At the moment I seem to like the North Africa and into the Italian theatre for my modelling fix, that will have to change in the future as I have quite a few yellow based tanks and vehicles; unfortunately Olive drab is, well, just drab.

It held a couple of 2 gallon 'flimsies' water containers usually - see here

MoonrakerII.jpg

Road wheel in this one with cans tied in front

A2Sicily.jpg

Plenty more images on Google - just type Sherman III and see what comes up, it should help you to decide

Anyone know Why Joseph Stalin is commanding the tank callled Churchill?

Selwyn

(ducking for cover yet again!)

• Like 1

British equipment in the Italian campaign were neither yellow nor OD, but a colour called Light Mud. At first, anyway. So there's no need to be quite so restrictive. Then there are the brown ones. The BEF were green and green, neither being OD. Even in the desert there was Caunter. There's quite a variation in colours available of you look around. Perhaps less so if you're stuck on Shermans, of course.

British equipment in the Italian campaign were neither yellow nor OD, but a colour called Light Mud. At first, anyway. So there's no need to be quite so restrictive. Then there are the brown ones. The BEF were green and green, neither being OD. Even in the desert there was Caunter. There's quite a variation in colours available of you look around. Perhaps less so if you're stuck on Shermans, of course.

Thanks for that info Graham, or not may be :winkgrin:. The Sherman in question is now sat on it's shelf in lovely yellow + livery, that'll teach me to use the box art as a factor in my colour choice. seriously I now have a three way choice 1, leave it or 2,see if I can semi correct the colour with a filter or two or 3, partial/full respray :yikes: .Were North African Shermans ever a little yellow? :thumbsup:

It can get confusing.

I, though, am glad for the variations in colour schemes available.

Selwyn, old Jo got everywhere didn't he!