3D Printers for modelling parts

Paul @ Parkes682Decals

Just like modern day printers though, the machine will cost very little but the media will be VERY expensive!!

which is why mainstream model makers (injection) will not be very affected by this in the short/medium term: producing injected plastic will be MUCH cheaper for a while :)

The plans might be difficult to protect, but I wold envision a system rather like printers and ink - a specific brand printer will only work with a specific brand cartridge which is where the money is made.

Introducing the Airfix 3D Model Print 3000TM , a revolutionary new system using Airfix 3D plans ( written in proprietory software and code) to enable you at home to print Airfix 3D construction kits on the Airfix 3D Model Print 3000TM (using the official Airfix 3D Media cartridges). The Airfix 3D Model Print 3000TM comes equipped with the Airfix 3D Decal Print 3500TM system (using Humbrol 3D Inkprint cartridges) for printing decals to finish your model in any scheme you wish (from sets published in proprietory software and code by Airfix) . Model Plan packs and refill cartridges available online and through all good model retailers. Remember, for the best finish possible, use Humbrol 3D paints and Humrol Superfast 3D glue, which are optimised for use with the Airfix 3D print media. Stop Press - did you know that you can now print Tamiya 3D models on your Airfix 3D Model Print 3000TM - visit the official Airfix website for more details.

• Like 3

The plans might be difficult to protect, but I wold envision a system rather like printers and ink - a specific brand printer will only work with a specific brand cartridge which is where the money is made.

Introducing the Airfix 3D Model Print 3000TM , a revolutionary new system using Airfix 3D plans ( written in proprietory software and code) to enable you at home to print Airfix 3D construction kits on the Airfix 3D Model Print 3000TM (using the official Airfix 3D Media cartridges). The Airfix 3D Model Print 3000TM comes equipped with the Airfix 3D Decal Print 3500TM system (using Humbrol 3D Inkprint cartridges) for printing decals to finish your model in any scheme you wish (from sets published in proprietory software and code by Airfix) . Model Plan packs and refill cartridges available online and through all good model retailers. Remember, for the best finish possible, use Humbrol 3D paints and Humrol Superfast 3D glue, which are optimised for use with the Airfix 3D print media. Stop Press - did you know that you can now print Tamiya 3D models on your Airfix 3D Model Print 3000TM - visit the official Airfix website for more details.

Can I borrow your time machine as i need next weeks lotto numbers!!!

1. Personally, I'm more interested in process of modellign than in the outcome (otherwise I would collect Herpa die casts). I spend many hours daily programming computers, the modelling hobby gives me an opportunity to something with my own hands - to convert pieces of plastic onto something that looks like an airplane in miniature. I enjoy sanding, glueing, fitting, painting, decaling, rigging etc. Designing a 3D model, i.e. adding more hours to the time I already spent before computer monitors is not that I want to do.

2. Using ready 3D models to print parts is OK, but I really doubt that the price of 3D model+materials will be low enough to compete with mass production injection moulded parts. In my opinion it will take the niche that is currently occupied with resin parts / kits.

• Like 1

I was at a large exhibition in Birmingham a few weeks ago and saw several of these 3D printers in action, including some that are now bordering on the affordable for some. Among them I found one that sells for around £1300+VAT, money that I could consider spending if I can use the printer for both business and hobby.

This is all good, but... the resolution of such a machine is around 0.15 mm, something that is way worse than what we're used to in injected plastic. Making parts like a cockpit in our preferred scales would be impossible with such a resolution, the parts are too rough. Even a main component like parts of a fuselage would not look great.

The material used for printing is ABS, not too expensive at around £20-30 for a drum with around 700 grams but not very cheap either.

Not all parts can be made easily, so whoever designs the model has to take this into account and divide the model in a number of parts that can be printed easily... easy task for someone who's in the business, could be a different story for other enthusiasts. And what about the CAD model ? Are all modellers expert CAD designers ?

Would I buy one ? Probably, but I would already have in mind how to best use the features of these machines. And I would never print the finished part but only print basic parts that can then be improved, detailed and used as masters for resin casting or vacforming. Yes, I could make my own model of whatever subject I like, but the process would be way more complicated than just take a 3-view from the net, make a CAD model and print the kit. Not to mention that canopies and a load of other parts can not be made with a 3D printer yet and would require alternative manufacturing techniques.

Is this the future ? It sure is, but not necessarily for the single modeller. The first use of these machines will be with the aftermarket boys and I know some are already using them in a way not too far from what I described above. Then in some years maybe there will be more widespread use within modellers.

I can see a parallel here with the home-printed decals: everybody raved about the possibility of printing decals at home when the ALPS printers first appeared. Today ALPS is gone and very few modellers print decals at home while the aftermarket decal manufacturing world sees plenty of new names and the large printers like Cartograf and Microscale keep working...

Edited by Giorgio N

• 4 weeks later...

I often use CAD software at work to create 3d models of our products so I can rotate them to any view I need, then use those views to create high quality line drawings. It takes hours and hours to get them right and even then, I don't have the skill to create CAD drawings that a manufacturer could make accurate parts from. Whilst I'd love a 3d printer, the thought of spending all that time doing the drawings doesn't appeal, that's time I'd rather spend modelling.

The suggestion of the availability of downloadable parts for home printing is viable and has already been discussed by several domestic appliance manufacturers in regards of their spares services.