1/48th Airfix Javelin - 3rd June, finally some paint on the airframe

have noticed as i was assembling the wings and ailerons that the ailerons when put together the trailing edges are about twice the thickness of the actual wing edges,

The Javelin aileron trailing edges are about 2 inches thick in real life - the wing T/E is very thin.

Check out my photos in the walkround section.......

jav%2015.JPG

Wing T/E at left - aileron T/E at right........

jav%2020.JPG

Not sure why - something to do with trailing edge vortices???

But Airfix have got it right.

The Meteor F8 I photographed - also at the Jet Age Museum - had a flat plate attached to the trailing edge of the rudder - at right angles to it.

Presumably to energise the airflow ??

Ken

• Like 1

Stonking!!! Seats looking great....the 'pit looks fantastic, some excellent detail in there. Superb!!! ......its just those ejection seat handles.......they look so thick. If you don't fancy replacing them, how about thinning them down a bit?

The rather prominent scissor shackle on the top of the seat has been missed off as well. Its a simple addition.

Selwyn

Ken, thanks for posting the pix of the aileron trailing edge - I never would have guessed that! Good job to Airfix for getting that right. I wonder how many modellers will "correct" the kit so the aileron and wing match? I know that's what I would have done.

Col., nice work on the vortex generators. Your photos are highly magnified, so they certainly look much better with the old Mk.I eyeball. Short of aftermarket PE (which I'm sure someone is already working on) this is the way to do it I think.

Watching this build is tempting me to return to 1:48 scale, if only for a brief moment in time. :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Ken thanks for posting the pics of the trailing edges and it really is great to see Airfix did get it correct, i still feel they look a tad over done in scale but thats just a personal choice i have reduced mine but not to the exact thickness of the wing trailing edge

One big thing i failed to mention is just how damn nice a kit it is to build, every part and sequence is well thought out and looks great can't wait to paint her

Cheers

Thanks everyone for your feedback - most useful.

Col - You will not regret the purchase it is a great kit.

John - The AP drawings would be most useful and highly appreciated.

Andy - The new nose cone turned up within 48 hours. Superb service from Airfix.

Norman & Ken - Thanks for the shout out about the aileron's. I am embarrassed to say that the one place I did not look for Javelin walk arounds was Britmodeller. Live and learn!

Selwyn - Good shout on the the scissor shackle.

Bill - I have had the opposite happen over the last 2 years and have bought a number of 1/72nd kits. Previously I only bought 1/48th and up. But between CMR and Airfix 1/72md has become an amazing scale for modelling again IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a stunning build, well done so far! As a Javelin fan I shall be watching!

I took photos of the undercarriage bay of XH897 at Duxford when I did my 1:72nd kit-you might find these helpful in addition to the excellent drawings above :)

DSCF4766_zps2fd4b47e.jpg

DSCF4767_zps5f4076a0.jpg

DSCF4768_zpseca1a0bb.jpg

DSCF4769_zps1283b04f.jpg

DSCF4770_zps1378aa7f.jpg

DSCF4771_zps50bcdb60.jpg

DSCF4772_zpsf9028920.jpg

I also have fairly comprehensive exterior photos of the rest of the airframe (apart from the top of the tailplane-funny, that!) so do ask if you're looking for something external.

• Like 3

Some great stuff going on here.

I am building mine (1st one) more or less out of the box without any of these modifications (not sure my modelling skills are up to the standard required at present), but this is great stuff and really helpful reference for when I do my 2nd - when I might try a bit more scratch building ;):)

A quick question for Vulcanicity - do you have photos of the wing tips/edges (not just front part, but about half-way along)? There are rectangular sections scribed in the end that I think are some form of light, but I cannot find a photo that is good enough to determine what it is. If it is a light might it be worth cutting out and putting some clear sprue in its place?.

Also, I notice (from the Xtradecal sheets) that there is an aerial of some description on the top of the tail fin of some (but not all) FAW9s. It looks like a blade aerial and not too big, so easily made from a piece pf plasticard, but wonder if there are some decent shots of it?

Looking forward to the next installment. :)

SLoB,

Answer-not sure! The panel I think you're referring to is visible on both of these shots (the second one is XH992 at Newark) but annoyingly I didn't take a close-up, so it's difficult to tell if it's really faded and crazed Perspex, or a natural metal/fibreglass panel (eg. over some kind of radio antenna).

DSCF4783_zps27df8c17.jpg

IMG_5822_zps178dc426.jpg

For fairly obvious reasons it's rather difficult to get any close-ups of the top of the fin/tailplane, so I'm afraid I can't help with your blade aerial!

crobinsonh, sorry for hijacking your thread!

• Like 1

Whilst I am in a long lay over in Chicago on the way to Austin I thought I would upload some very slow progress of late (my excuse being that I have spent >50% of my time in the US since August).

Please note that the ejection seat and cockpit are far from finished - e.g. I have painted in white all buttons and switches that are a variety of shades of black and gray etc, there is none of the correct striping on the ejector seat pull handles etc. Last but not least none of the instrument dials have the Airscale decals added yet.

IMG_1300_zps436a137a.jpg

IMG_1306_zps9ebfcb6d.jpg

IMG_1310_zpsd7ce96d3.jpg

IMG_1312_zps3fcd0d46.jpg

More to come next week after I return home.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...