1/350 HMS Ark Royal, 1987 - sailing back from the Shelf of Doom

Very nice Crisp. Don't ya just love cutting Tamiya tape into innumerable tiny strips - and then trying to get them to unstick from the cocktail stick/tweezers/tool of choice and stick onto the model? Probably just my poor technique.

Hmm - have to get back to this modelling business myself.

• Like 1

I share your pain, Steve. By the end of it my fingers were covered with tiny pieces of yellow tape from trimming round the edges of the bridge: brand new scalpel blade essential! I held the island in a vice & used a tweezer / cocktail stock combo at first, but for the really fiddly bits between PE parts I ended up using the blunt side of a scalpel to detach the tape / press it into place. Not a quick job, but I think it will pay off.

Likewise the wipers; they seem to have taken me weeks in my head (not that long, actually; it just feels like it!), because each one has a folded section to give the motor box some thickness. What a bleedin' faff! But under some paint I think they'll add to the whole effect. They are so insignificant that WEM barely mention them in their instructions!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Today's hero is a humble pencil - specifically, one of these:

F6480065-EAA4-490C-AACA-04501273DFF4_zps

If you are in the habit of handling ridiculously small pieces, especially of PE, and you don't have one of these, then you should invest in one immediately. I think it is essentially the same as what we used to call a "chinagraph pencil", used for marking up things on acetate displays in the Ops Room etc. Nowadays, therefore, probably obsolete entirely and replaced by some LED display.

But for picking up tiny things and placing them with precision, it is utterly indispensable.

Last weekend I pointed out those tiny holes in the bridge. The are to fit a footrail and handrail on the outside of the bridge - there, I assume, to allow some poor matelot to edge along the outside with a bucket of water and wash off the salt. The Eduard PE set has the later version, as fitted to Lusty, which is 4 bars deep and very prominent. Inevitably, my era Ark had a different version - a single bar, and also it went further round the bridge. It is one of those details that you can't really describe as essential, but which definitely adds to the overall look of the thing.

I cut down Eduard's effort to a single bar without too many snags, but trying to get it to get any sort of grip on Airfix's plastic was hopeless; breathe on it and the thing fell off. Hence the rows of extremely small holes I pointed out in last week's posts, which were an attempt to give it something more to grip onto.

Even with the holes, it was incredibly difficult - where I got it to go into a hole, it stuck well, but moving it around was incredibly hard, and each failure bent the flimsy PE more and more, until it ended up looking like this:

FE57C4A7-4244-4A45-8B3D-298DE5CAA48C_zps

The whole point of fitting this is that it has to look dead straight - it's one of those details that your eye is drawn to; looks great in passing if it is there and straight, but you're better off without it altogether if it's bent all over the place.

Then I had a brain wave; I have in my possession some 0.2mm Nickel Silver rod from Albion Alloys; the right thickness, but much more durable - within reason it retains its shape, so therefore stays straight.

A lot of tiny measurement and some delicate cutting later, along with the most excellent PE-lifting pencil, and the bridge looks like this:

EE177C79-0BB8-4995-AED3-39E136376966_zps

4AA68E9C-5EE9-4830-8975-71B75DB58CB7_zps

007AF219-233C-417D-88C0-70F4D6687415_zps

Far better - it needs a bit of cleaning up once everything is settled, but that's easy enough, and the (now unused) holes will disappear under primer and paint.

(You will note, incidentally, that I have obtained some grey primer since last week, so the bridge roof is now a bit less brassy and a bit more grey.).

I have to repeat this for the Admiral's Bridge (which is the lower row of windows - great place for goofers in bad weather, if no Admiral was embarked), which is why I have temporarily removed the forward 909 radar dome; anything getting in the way of access makes it yet more difficult.

More soon. Small steps, but each one takes her a bit closer towards what I want.

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

And, just because I always find those close-up photos infinitely depressing, here are a couple of shots of the island at a slightly less unforgiving distance...

70F91366-E66D-406E-A0C2-BAF28937C941_zps

637ED693-7E9C-47CC-8E48-A22E363E7D06_zps

Oooh - note to self; DF aerial needs some paint clean-up!

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

Things do look better at the proper viewing distance

The DF thingy, izzat the coat hanger doodah?

That looks like a little refinement will add extra zingalingaling

Crisp you have really made this spring to life, 'etch' although spawn of several devils does show up beautifully on these flat surfaces

very nice work

I predict you'll be getting a soldering iron before the end of this build..... (they do come in extremely handy!)

Again, too late, mate. I have procured one - just not yet plucked up the courage to use it for real.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am still here. Not much modelling getting done, but some progress this weekend.

764A8D1C-7C7A-4858-AF61-0CB7DC3B24C4_zps

Added:

1 x traffic lights box for 1 & 2 Spots, which is the box on the front edge of Flyco

3 x flight deck spot lights (which look a lot better than this in real life) underneath the inner wing of the Admiral's Bridge

WEM's splendidly clear photo etched ARK ROYAL nameplate

A missing doorway, taken from WEM's / Mad Pete's Atlantic "RN 1/350 doors and hatches set" (essential)

Finally starting to add back some of the detail removed from the bulkheads (walls!) of the island - Airfix had a fair amount moulded on, but some of it (e.g. the wedge-shaped bank of flight deck broadcast speakers, which is the white thing in the centre of the photo) isn't quite right, and a lot of it (a surprising amount) is wrong for 1988 Ark.

The platform for the DAPS (deck approach projector sight - the "meatball") is only balanced in place in this picture; still more to be added to it before I stick it on.

Painfully slow, I know - real life stuff, alas; the same real life stuff that meant I couldn't make it to Telford this year.

But it is still progress.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

Dont worry Crisp, Telford was oh so awfully boring this year

OK OK

Its only a bad joke, we've had worse on these pages ;)

many from yours truly

:)

The island is looking quite a lot wow to me

Telford next year has to be a cert

grindstone nose interface ON please

:popcorn:

This week it's been detailing the approach lights set-up beneath Flyco.

CF67B078-DC5A-4955-8C75-649E45CDB8A7_zps

The trapeze thing on the left is a bracket for the two sets of traffic lights (on the left, steady lights for fixed-wing flying, on the right, flashing lights for rotary).

1F25A970-EBF5-45DD-A8FE-C20B0875870F_zps

And here the DAPS (deck approach projector sight) dry fitted. I have a PE version, but it goes well beyond fiddly into the realms of almost impossible to get neat, so I am using the kit part and adding some PE detail. Similarly, I used two pieces of plastic strip for the traffic lights. You can actually see a PE one on the left hand edge of the bridge as you look in this photo; that's a folded box, and it took bloody ages to get it looking half-decent - at this size, a pice of plastic properly painted will probably look better in the end.

Some pretty annoying sink marks in hard to fix places - thanks, Airfix!

A0B671C1-5F7C-4D61-B6E8-6B10875F5FE5_zps

Proof that I have got the geometry roughly right; you should be able to see the traffic lights underneath the DAPS gantry from anywhere on the deck, and I reckon you could if you were the right scale height!

Away next weekend, so there might not be anything for a couple of weeks. It's slow, but I am getting a lot of satisfaction as the island gradually takes shape.

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 11