1/350 HMS Ark Royal, 1987 - sailing back from the Shelf of Doom

Tidied up the stern a bit (well, a lot, actually); new spurn water all along the back of the deck, plus around some of those awkward corners, + ladder down to the Phalanx deck, and some railings at the back. This is about done, now.

c8db5048cd8a2e67fca7caf616318dc4_zps240f

• Like 6

Working on the fo'c's'le, so that I can finally put the forward part of the flight deck back on (shut up, Martin!).

The PE supports for the garden wall are now finished to starboard, as is the starboard anchor cable, complete with the brake wheel on the capstan (which I suspect is rather over-scale, but keeps it looking busy). I will try to match up the port side tomorrow, and then paint this deck - which will be much harder to do with the flight deck in place.

Progress; slow, but steady, and still fun. Considering the entire fo'c's'le is scratch built, I am pretty happy with it.

187c50b9bf7e4e3af537696ef5f2a9ae_zps7129

543103022a28dba8ef368fd9b396a6a1_zps756f

For any passing fish'eads, I've even managed to get all three slips in pace on the anchor cable (just bits of PE rod, because I can't find any "chain" that's finer than the anchor cable itself). Just don't ask me to name them - (Blake slip, something bottle screw slip, and I have no idea what else slip, from memory). Come on, that's not bad for a WAFU!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

Working on the fo'c's'le, so that I can finally put the forward part of the flight deck back on (shut up, Martin!).

I never said a word!! Am I allowed to that you have made good progress?

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought you might be interested in this ,the display case £65 :pipe:

link http://www.inperspextive.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=155

I will be posting my own work in progress on Illustrious soon !

20141115_195908_zpsc08fa196.jpg

I'm wondering what the tug is next to Lusty. I've been after a contemporary tug for a while now - any info on it at all?

Thought you might be interested in this ,the display case £65 :pipe:

link http://www.inperspextive.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=155

I will be posting my own work in progress on Illustrious soon !

20141115_195908_zpsc08fa196.jpg

Thanks - I have indeed started thinking ahead to how I am going to display this thing. Callum the Aussie linked to some astoundingly realistic seascapes via the Ship Model Forum, which set me thinking about how rough I want it to be, how much sea around the ship, and so on. I'd say £65 for that is pretty good, though. Luckily for me, at my present strike rate the ship's not going to be ready for display for some months yet!

​The other encouraging thing about that picture, for me, is that your stern and mizzen mast both look weird to me - especially the stern, oddly enough - which means I must be making some visible difference to Ark!

• Like 3

Chance meeting time! A couple of weeks ago I went to the Fleet Air Arm Officers' Association Taranto Night dinner in London, and inevitably bumped into a few old mates from Ark days. One of them had some photos which he was able to email... one of which gives me some detail I hadn't seen before.

Notably the fact that the "pulpit" blast deflector for the Sea Dart was actually on an overhanging piece of deck, with pillars supporting it, and that the actual Sea Dart launcher was recessed slightly into the deck (i.e. not quite flush with the Flight Deck itself)... like this:

ScreenShot2014-11-16at181505_zpsac24dfc5

Just in time, before I glued on the flight deck piece for the second time! Out came the trusty razor saw and off came a small section of scratch built fo'c's'le bulkhead to give the overhang, and out came a semicircular section of the deck to house the Dart launcher. The overhang isn't that obvious in this picture, other than from the shadow it casts.

dcb3b7cbf85c9b44453f33a671e9afd8_zpsf2ec

4af22f0fa71d9438dbf089f1f64c2096_zps1944

e8054124eb787409e684dd343751cdf8_zpse272

You can see it a bit better in the final pic; the pulpit projects out over the side (LH side as we look) of the flight deck. It's small, but it adds a bit of realism - and it also solves riddle I'd been wrestling with about why the bracket for the VHF/DF aerial (which hinged downwards so it didn't stick up above the flight deck when not in use) wasn't visible from above. [This will be a bit more obvious when I have actually built it!]

Also built the port anchor cable, so the fo'c's'le is very close the complete now. You can see why I want to get this done before I glue the section of deck on; once it is in place, doing anything on the fo'c's'le will be a nightmare.

More soon. Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

Despite all the kind comments and "Likes", I wasn't quite satisfied with the overhanging section (it didn't look big enough to me, which is hardly surprising since the deck piece was not built in the knowledge that it exists). On the other hand, it is easy enough to build a new one with a slightly bigger overhang, which I have done:

b2c5d21e002b70b4fbcd5e8bac6bc4e4_zps6252

In that picture, the Dabbers' locker (no doubt full of big hammers and other things of subtlety and finesse associated with heaving several tons of anchor about) and the base of the VHF/DF aerial are simply dry fitted; in this next one they are glued in place, along with the section of hand rail (Albion Alloys' 0.2mm nickel silver rod), which busies things up a bit. If I am adding handrails in 1/350 scale, I have probably taken leave of my sense altogether!

cbffa82dfe06911032639cd382219aa2_zps8c78

You can see clearly the various joins in the bulkhead under the Dart launcher here - it is not a straight line. Spot of paint, though, and it should look OK.

I have a couple of days off later this week, so might be able to add the few more details that are needed before the Flight Deck is glued (which will be after paint).

So more soon...

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4

This VHF/DF aerial that I keep talking about - which was hinged to lie flat across the fo'c's'le during flying, and only raised in emergency if an aircraft was seriously lost - looks like this (some seriously fiddly PE ending, but I'm quite pleased with the result):

1b1079b511dc66558669b5eb06f58029_zpsdd7f

...and the brackets etc where it is going to lie (just with a length of brass rod dry fitted at the moment, to check angles etc.):

fe58b6bc18bef72cdd617af257e62d02_zpsba3b

d8b7b19c7139d994f19ce7b2db0daa01_zpse528

The brackets are totally improvised; one Is the base of an aerial on Lusty's mizzen mast, which didn't exist in Ark in 98, and the other is the PE detail for Goalkeeper barrels, when Ark had Phalanx throughout her life.

By the way, I am gutted about WEM closing; disastrous news for ship modellers.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 6

I love it when a plan comes together; here's the VHF/DF aerial in position - v happy with how this has turned out. Day off today, so hoping to get the fo'c's'le detailing complete; more later.

8e123bb7329cb0ac8980d1d843058f46_zps7154

• Like 3

Fo'c'sle detailing complete, so here it is with its first layer of paint on the deck. Tamiya (rattle can) Tank Grey to act as a dark primer to emphasise shadows (kind of lazy man's pre-shading, I guess) followed by Tamiya "Light Grey" XF-66. This is the first time I have airbrushed Tamiya, and they went like a dream. Also a new airbrush, after my faithful ancient Badger finally bit the dust a few months ago (I haven't done any painting for ages!); my 55th birthday present from SWMBO was a Thayer & Chandler Omni 4000.

e371f55140c50e1993f4b27906105410_zps1e15

At the moment I am in a teensy bit of a panic; I cleared my workspace before I started painting, so as to get rid of any dust... and very carefully put the VHF/DF aerial to one side, since it will be painted separately. Can I find it now? Can I heck as like...! It will show up, no doubt. In the absolute worst case I have a spare, but if I can avoid having to build another one, I'd rather!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

Some painting - not complete yet, but getting there. I want the ship to look pretty "lived-in", so I have dirtied up this deck a fair amount (Tamiya weathering powders). Can't decide whether I have overdone it. The white tops of the bollards etc will be toned down in due course.

71d59ae3726d6013e30fad1d910b66d4_zpsea4e

c4b43ff3fe72f8f0d3dda44e0d1283de_zps8fa3

• Like 1

Seriously impressed with that PE work (btw did you find the VHF/DF aerial?)

And I bet that masking was fun :)

FWIW to my non-naval eyes the the dirtying on the foxall, focsal - bu**er it - the front bit - looks excellent. It breaks up the uniformity of the colour without being seeming over the top at all. I was wondering if and how you'd go about weathering it.

Wonder if I can push the missus into a nice modelling related pressie for my 55th - of course it's several years away yet........ :winkgrin:

• Like 2