Lotus 72 re-decal finished

This was a bit of a chore in some ways as the car was built and completed quite a while ago.

However, the Tamiya decals started to crack and disintegrate very badly within a few weeks, to the point that the car was a total mess.

The old decals came off fairly easily and the paintwork was rubbed back with dry 1200 grade - I couldn't really wet sand it as the car was complete.

After a lot of very fiddly masking, the bodywork received Halfords grey primer and 4-5 coats of Halfords gloss black.

After a week or so, it was polished with Micromesh, then had 2 coats of 2K clear. Another 2 weeks of drying time.

The new decals are from Tabu and they are fantastic and extremely comprehensive, supplying enough to create just about any car from 1972 and 1973.

I stuck with Emerson's famous number 5 car.

It was a nightmare applying the decals as they are incredibly fine, and the lining has NO surrounding clear carrier - excellent result, hell to apply.

I'll give the car a good polish in a week or so then put it on show with the other 1/12 cars in my cabinet.

Roy.

BEFORE:

P1010118_zps72753fee.jpg

P1010120_zps3b60db72.jpg

AFTER:

P1010045_zps3297c53c.jpg

P1010044_zpsefefee07.jpg

P1010046_zps14fc0334.jpg

P1010043_zps3fe5899f.jpg

Superb re-build on the bodywork , looks great , not going to get into which tyres it should be or not , bottom line is you`ve pulled an old model that a lot of people might have binned into a model that deserves its own display case again .

Red 5

Roy,

In the Haynes book they indicate that Lotus signed a contract with Goodyear for 1973 on page 72 after the withdrawal of Firestone.

I notice on the Tamiya reissue of the 1/12 72d the tyre sidewall is smooth with no raised lettering and the tyres look different.

guy.

• 2 weeks later...