Fine Molds 1/144 Millennium Falcon

Hello

I've recently finished the excellent Fine Molds Falcon in 1/144. It is excellently moulded with very little cleaning up to do, and it could fit together with practically no glue. It only took me a couple of weeks which is really fast for me. Damage on the underside and topside near the jaws was done with the sharp end of a needle file, and the top deck blast holes were done with a twist drill and then roughed up with the needle file, I did a bit of preshading and then went for Xtracolour Vietnam grey which I'd used on a Phantom, thinking that the weathering would warm it up a bit, and I'm happy with how it ended up I think the colour turned out right. the coloured patches were painted with Citadel foundation paints and the grey was a Vallejo colour, rather than using the decals. Likewise I masked up the windows with tape rather than cutting out their masks as it seemed much easier. Weathering was done with oils, and a few panels were gone over with a thin oil paint filter to change the shade.it was left in half until I'd painted inside the 'jaws' and engine. The engine was hard to make look good, I wasn't entirely happy with it but it's as good as it will get. Smokey bits were Tamiya Smoke, I didn't want it too dark like some are. It was all sealed up with Tamiya clear with some flat base added. I used the stand from a Polar Lights 1/1000 Enterprise as they're really good, the stand in this kit was a bit clumsy I thought. This is a practice run for the main event- the 1/72 kit! Here's the pics.

MillenniumFalcon004_zpsc523582f.jpg

MillenniumFalcon005_zps2c2dc716.jpg

MillenniumFalcon006_zpsbe2a7f7d.jpg

MillenniumFalcon007_zps290c370c.jpg

MillenniumFalcon008_zps2ec58929.jpg

MillenniumFalcon009_zps9cd63b10.jpg

Phonepics174_zps241184da.jpg

Edited by Tabio
  • Like 8

Tabio,

That's a great build and the weathering looks spot on.

I'm using an AMT cut away version of the Falcon to practice on before tackling the FM 1/72 version. Big mistake as it is an awful kit.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with the bigger version.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 1

Well I can't see anything wrong with it!

Very nice, cleam build.

Looking at the design like this, It makes me wonder.

As a freighter, there can't be much room inside for freight!.

Cheers

Pete

Looking at the design like this, It makes me wonder.

As a freighter, there can't be much room inside for freight!.

The common belief now is that they shunt cargo containers. The containers (possibly even a train of containers) would connect to the ship in-between the forward mandibles, hence the need for an offset cockpit.

Could be an interesting way to display a YT1300, ehhh?. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

this is a great and well made model - I am glad to see it as I often see and consider this kit on ebay but have never been too sure of the scale - that shot of the cockpit puts things into perspective now for me

job well done to you -