1/72 Special Hobby SB2U-2 Vindicator (yes another one)

-Neu-

So, as long promised.... here's the vindicator I've been building. I was pretty inspired by the other builds so I thought I'd make it a trifecta

I've got the older Special Hobby Boxing... I think its from circa 2002. I picked it up for like 10 dollars at my local IPMS show... mostly because of the puurrdy box.

7K7_zpsdaf812d3.jpg

The Important bits:

7K8_zps92affb0c.jpg

As you can see, I initially painted the cockpit with zinc chromate green. After looking in on Enzo's build and some other resources I found that the interior was likely bare metal. So I went and changed that. I kept the side walls green... added some wiring, boxes, and tanks... then painted the framing and floor metal. Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of that... but this is pretty close.

7P3_zps091cf94a.jpg

7P2_zps2e06d76b.jpg

So... next is the part I hate the most... canopy masking. However I recently discovered a new method in Model Graphix Magazine. You cut out little squares and then use them as a patchwork to cover an area.

7Q2_zps4ebc8ab1.jpg

7Q3_zps658de908.jpg

No idea if it will work... but we shall soon see.

Next was painting. I decided to use several shades of metal, especially between the fabric/dope covered areas and the main fuselage panels. I primed it with Mr Surfacer and then use durluminum for the fuselage and white aluminum for the dope covered areas:

7Q4_zpsd0d80c10.jpg

Finally was the wings and tail. In a stroke of luck my LHS was selling Mr Color's russet tin (for 2 dollars), which was nearly a perfect match for the kit's decals. I've chosen the USS Yorktown's CAG scheme from the box... I like the red and yellow on bare metal.

7R1_zpsad03d94d.jpg

7R2_zps354b13be.jpg

7R4_zps4421ec38.jpg

Looking okay if you ask me. Next photos will be of decals, then weathering, final assembly... and then we're done!

Thanks for looking.

Thanks VG... I must say I really like how your and enzo's are turning out as well.

The truth is however that I've been building it as long as you and Enzo has.... although I got a lot of momentum in the past week, when I did all the main coats, decals and glosscoats. I've already finished the weathering, but will need to do a bit final assembly... I'm actually concerned about the bomb carriage assembly, which looked to be a bit complicated.

When I have adjusted the roll over bar and the equipment behind the pilot I should progress again faster but at the moment I have too many kits in progress.

I have not seen around the bomb carriage assembly so far, one problem at a time.

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

So I kinda got it done. I subsequently cut out the wingtip lights and fashioned them out of white glue. I also added the antenna and radio wire, as well as fixing up the tires and adding flat over them. I might take some more photos when I finish some other models. For now, enjoy these:

7T7_zps70b2b9cb.jpg

7T8_zpsc899eaeb.jpg

7T9_zps5e394e3b.jpg

7T11_zps9d164a4e.jpg

7T10_zps08b45738.jpg

Good kit for a short run. it would be interesting to see what they did with the new one.