Revell "Snowberry"

Stuck

Hi all;

Have just come back from a visit to town, while there i popped into a toy shop that sells a hand full of kits . A couple of years ago i popped in the same shop and noticed they had a revell snowberry there . This has always been a kit that i have had a bit of an inkling for but the 80 odd €s they were asking for it was well out of my price range, so today thought i would have a look to see if it was still there, and low and behold it was and reduced to 49€ ( 40 odd £ ), now haveing been incapacitated for the last few months and unable to work that is still quite a lot of dosh to find, but my other half thinks its a bargain that i cant really resist .

So I am wandering what your views are of this kit ( it is not the new platinum version ) and would revel sell the upgrade set separately ? , or will it build in to a nice model OOTB ? . I have been greatly inspired by this build

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234929377-172-revell-corvette-snowberry/

But because of failing eyesight until at least my cataracts have been removed, i have to keep my modeling sessions a bit shorter and sweeter than I would really like, so i dont want to get too involved with super detailing.

Also i have read that this can be converted to radio control, I have all the gubbins from another boat , so this could be a possibility..

Any a views you have on this subject would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks Mike

I bought the Revell re-pop several years ago but didn't make a lot of progress after assembling the hull.

I have just started work on it again and I am planning on converting it to a radio controlled model. I will be replacing/improving the kit's simplified components as well as strengthening and improving seaworthiness.

I guess this kit is like the question about how long is a piece of string; you can build it as is or re-build and detail to your heart's content :)

Cheers

David

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have taken the plunge and have brought the kit ; After a bit of time looking at different builds on the net, I have decided to build it straight from the box, and not get into too much super detailing because i know my limitations and don't want to see it end up in a half finished heap gathering dust because it became too much of a challenge. Also i have looked at the detailing after market sets available and they can run into a bit of dosh, haveing just retired, money that i have not got. Call me a defeatist if you like !!.

Having studied the instructions and the paint call outs, as usual Revell has got me totally confused; The color given for the bulk of the hull is a straight 50/ 50 mix of stone grey and white, while the bulk of the super structure is given out as a 70 / 30 mix of white and grey which gives a slightly blueish tinge, haveing mixed all this i have now noticed that on the box art the bulk of the superstructure is the same color as the hull , so now I am even more confused ; Normally I like to spray with Tamiya, but because I can forsee a lot of touching in with a brush is going to be required, I am going to stick with revell enamels because I just dont get on with brushpainting Tamiya and revel is available in my local town.

While i am not looking to build 100% historically correct replica of the Snowberry, i would like it to look somewhere near right, so I am hoping that one of you out there can steer me in the right direction.

Also I have a dear friend visiting me in the next few weeks, she had told me that her father had commanded a ship in the war that was on anti submarine duty's in the channel around the time of D Day, . Is there any chance that flower class corvettes would be used on these duties ?.

Cheers Mike.

PS, I have already found that this model can eat paint !!, i prefer not too mix colors in case I run out, do you know of any humbrol equivalents ?. sometimes I think that Revell are just taking the big P with there call outs just to get you to buy more paint !!.

Hi Mike,

For authentic colours you cant beat White Ensign Models

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/brochure/colourcoats.htm

Any doubts as to which colours you need ...give them a ring!

Flower class corvettes were used as Anti sub boats in the North Atlantic so it must have seemed like a holiday in the channel :winkgrin:

Cheers Kev

Well thanks for that longshanks, I will check it out.

Have just had an email from my dearest to say that her Fathers ship was HMS Kempenfelt, briefly checked it out on Wilkopedia, ,dont suppose you know anything about that ? is there a model of that available, could be a future project,,, i know she would like that. Snowberry finished her career in the channel, certainly must have been a holiday !!

Good luck with the build Mike,I have said for years that I would build one before I call it a day but price has always been an issue,mind I also

promised myself Revells 1/144 USS Fletcher and a well known retailer has it at £34:99 at the moment!

Well I got it for 49€ Steve, the shops got one left, but I think the postage would cost more than its worth sending it from France !!!, also a 1/72 Gator class sub at the same price. After a week i am progressing well, got the life rafts together !!