Another one for the Harrier GR1 experts

Kev1n

...and expert is defo not me...

Just acquired airfix's new GR1 and it does look pretty inspiring.

so muc so I'm starting it - NOW!

however....now I *could* spend ages looking thjrough all the topics on BM....but I'm not going to....

I'm a bit curious about the colour of the cockpit and intakes; the instructions say these are a very dark sea grey.

Looks a bit dark to me.

But since I'm ignorant of these things, can anybody clue me in as to whether or not this is right?

Thanks!

you see? there are things I don't know....very fallible of me but there you are....

My understanding was Dark Admiralty Grey, but I could well be wrong.

You're not wrong. :thumbsup: Dark Admiralty Grey was a teensy bit lighter than Dark Sea Grey. However, Harrier cockpits got very battered very quickly, so Dark Sea Grey with some heavy drybrushing with Dark Gull Grey will look good.

• Like 1

Just started an airfix 1/24 FRS1, looks ok, any comments. Most of the parts have fallen off the runners so using part guesswork, can't find much on Hannants regarding resin. Lots of rivets, too many to count!

...and expert is defo not me...

Just acquired airfix's new GR1 and it does look pretty inspiring.

so muc so I'm starting it - NOW!

however....now I *could* spend ages looking thjrough all the topics on BM....but I'm not going to....

I'm a bit curious about the colour of the cockpit and intakes; the instructions say these are a very dark sea grey.

Looks a bit dark to me.

But since I'm ignorant of these things, can anybody clue me in as to whether or not this is right?

Thanks!

you see? there are things I don't know....very fallible of me but there you are....

....now I *could* spend ages looking thjrough all the topics on BM [that I've already contributed to - and give answers]....but I'm not going to....

:bleh:

• Like 1

....now I *could* spend ages looking thjrough all the topics on BM [that I've already contributed to - and give answers]....but I'm not going to....

:bleh:

LMAO!

I'll find them (eventually)....but I want to get this built NOW!!!

So have I got this right -

the cockpit is a slightly lighter shade of grey

the intakes are the same grey as the overall camo grey?

Yes for the cockpit, for the intakes, it depends on the side - they are basically the same colour as the outer camouflage at that point. so Green on one side, Grey on the other. there is a small lip of Light Aircraft grey on the lower edge, only about half the width of the 'lip'

If it's of any help I used Humbrol #5, admiralty grey on mine then added some matt or satin varnish can't remember which? It's not the right colour but given the darkness of the area (Intakes and cockpit) it looks about right to me! As I said it was just my solution.

Doug S.

Edited by Doug

Cockpit is Admiralty Grey - Humbrol 164 plus a dash of white is a good match (Admiralty Grey is a bit lighter than Dk Sea Grey, then matt varnish.

GR.Mk1 intakes - as per Dave's comments so Dk Green inside the starboard side all the way back to the 'fan' and Dk Sea Grey port side, again all the way back.

As Dave says the underside Light Aircraft Grey wrapped into the intake interiors from the lower sides, about 3in back at 1:1 scale.

Although not for their 1:72nd scale kits, the build and finishing notes I did for their 1:48th GR.3 and FRS.1 kits on the Modelling pages of the Harrier SIG website (link below) may help you.

Good luck and enjoy the build!

Nick

Edited by NG899

thanks!

One other question - were the front pair of exhaust nozzles really green?

(They appear to be in photos)

I seeeee.....Riiiiight....that explains it

ok then :).......I'll have it built by Sunday.

Not.

Soon though....soon...

Yes. They only blew cold air so no scorching or staining. The rear pair were the hot ones so quite burnt looking.

True. However, check photos of the aircraft being built. Cold nozzles in the mid '80s could be Dark Sea Grey or (rarely) Dark Green, but were more likely to be unpainted metal - a very matt shade. You could even get a mixture of different colours on the same aircraft.

Interesting point...however; I havent found many photos of RAF GR1s.......loads of the later versions but very VERY few GR1s.....those that I have seen have the same green as the fuselage camo.

So as to a pic of the actual aircraft being built......bit stuck there.

Its RAF Wildenrath, Germany, 1971 anyway

If anybody can help with pics, nows the time :)

ta

edit - dsamn tpeos......

Edited by Kev1n

Hi everyone,

GR1s' front cold nozzles were painted to match the camo scheme around them, so were both dk green.

On GR3s up to circa 1983-84, some port nozzles were painted dk sea grey. As the nozzles were interchangeable port and starboard, some aircraft had grey on the starboard side and green port - check photos of the aircraft you're modelling!

On GR3s that were winter camouflaged the nozzles were overpainted white, on some aircraft that was applied just to the outside of the nozzels on others to the vanes too - check photos, again!

Photo evidence seems to show that the unpainted front nozzles seem to have started on the GR3 deployed at RAF Stanley in the Falkland Islands in 1983, XZ138/V being one of the Harriers with nautral metal front nozzles.

So, as with many things Harrier, there is no one simple answer once we get past the GR1s!

Ok, so we know where and when Kev, but what's the serial/tailcode of the Harrier you need a photo of?

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.

A book which may help you is the AirDoc ADP014 on British Harrier in RAF Germany - ISBN 978-3-935687-14-0. Googling the Gutersloh Spotters Group website may also help you...

Hope that helps.

Nick

Edited by NG899

serial/tail code.....its the one in the new afx GR1, this is going to be a straight out of the box build with no extras, bells or whistles (except straps on the seats...maybe)

It's XV785, tail code is 'Q', No. 20 Squadron, RAF Wildenrath, 1971

although I'll most likely do another in the provided other markings as well...and another in...lets not go there yet.

The first one first :)

And the kit is a GR1

It's GR1s I'm having a hard time finding pics of.

Lots of GR3 pics around, and shedloads of the later versions.

But not many GR1s.....:(

serial/tail code.....its the one in the new afx GR1, this is going to be a straight out of the box build with no extras, bells or whistles (except straps on the seats...maybe)

It's XV785, tail code is 'Q', No. 20 Squadron, RAF Wildenrath, 1971

although I'll most likely do another in the provided other markings as well...and another in...lets not go there yet.

The first one first :)

Well make sure they arn't long straps on the seats as GR1's did not have them!

Selwyn

long straps?

there's short ones and long ones?

oh.....

The long straps shown in most pictures were fitted to harrier and Jaguar Mk 9 seats in 1981/2 by this time all GR1 Harriers had been modified to GR3 standard, so the long straps never featured on GR1.

If you go to this linkhttp://www.martin-baker.com/_pdfs/history_development_mk1-mk10_ejection_seats.pdf anf go down to page 38, you will find a drawing of a Mk 9B seat that although a Jaguar seat will show you how a GR1 strap system looked like. The short straps attached to a body harness worn by the pilot.

Selwyn