My new 'Tripod' - something of an understatement :)

nick

The old aviation adage goes - 'if it looks right, it is right'.

God help me then.

This is my new skyhook for taking photos. It's made of brute electrical power, brute computing power and tie wraps.

10036933383_da7882ff1f_b.jpg

Although it looks like a junkyard, it can do some amazing tricks. If you have ever seen a steadicam, this is the same principle, the cameras are counterbalanced mechanically by the batteries on a two-axis trapeze damped by springs. This mechanical setup gives about 80% stabilisation. The remaining 20% is achieved by a dedicated gyro/servo pair on each axis that also provides camera tilt control from the ground.

10036815764_9a36ba8f84_b.jpg

The white disk-on-a-stick is the GPS receiver, coupled with 3-axis accelerometers, radio compass and barometric altimeter, this suite provides input to very sophisticated auto-pilot, navigation and stabilisation system.

Basically, the radio transmitter doesn't fly it, it just tells it where to go, all this kit then makes it stay there. precisely.

It has a live video downlink to a groundstation, (the small video camera) which overlays HUD type data onto the monitor on the ground so you can fly the aircraft with this.

10038148136_096a782e16_b.jpg

Also it has a second 2.4GHz two way communication setup that provides real time telemetry and connects to a laptop or ipad groundside that will fly the aircraft effectively without using a conventional radio transmitter.

You drop pins on google maps on the ipad, set a speed and altitude and the aircraft flies them. You can even drag a waypoint around with your finger on the ipad and the aircraft follows it in real time. This is a very simple flight plan than flies up to three set altitudes, rotates and lands all automatically. The sharp eyed amongst you may notice that it matches one of the photos below :).

10038129435_1029f11c9b_b.jpg

The surprising thing about all this is that it actually works.

10036938113_6e9204e55b_b.jpg

9967847566_02c336b423_b.jpg

9967399524_4f4f7c133b_b.jpg
9984929246_975179486f_b.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Nick

• Like 2

Yeah... nice job, but is it actually legal? If the "officials" have to get permission to run surveillance, surely Joe Public can't just start in on a sophisticated drone-based aerial reconnaissance operation willy-nilly? At the very least, I'd assume you'd have to get a "model release" from anyone who appears in the images...

Can it launch missiles, as well...?

bestest,

M.

• Like 1

To use this in public for revenue generating purposes you need certification from the CAA, akin to a pilots licence.

Quite right it's called a BNUC-S and allows me to fly up to 20KGs.

Everything I do is done with full consent of any people or property owners in the images. It's also not allowable to fly beyond visual range in the UK although the kit is easily capable of it any many others do.

Nick

• Like 1

Looks like a Sony NEX? Good little cameras :)

Good spot that man, yes Sony Nex-5N. Wins out in 'power to weight ratio' interchangeable lenses and good enough for semi-pro still photography use and no slouch at 1080P video as well.

If you really want one, drop me a PM. There are options :)

Nick

The CEO of one the companies we do business with brought a Parrot quadcopter that's controlled by an iPhone to show us. If you're on FB, here's a link to it in action: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=610513785628136&set=vb.174956842517168&type=2&theater We didn't larf at all when he misjudged it and bounced it off one of the lightning spikes on one of our dishes and crashed it! :evil_laugh:

• Like 1

That's fantastic, it opens up a whole new photographic dimension. Nice to see the NEX getting some love as well, it's a great piece of kit.

Dare we ask what this cost to build?

Will

That's fantastic, it opens up a whole new photographic dimension. Nice to see the NEX getting some love as well, it's a great piece of kit.Dare we ask what this cost to build?Will

Depends how squeamish you are, the guidance system alone is about a grand - do you want me to go?

):

Nick