1/72nd Lincoln

Mr T

I have not put much on recently, but I thought I would submit this. It is a conversion using the 1980’s Airfix Lancaster and the DB Lincoln conversion in resin and vacform. I cannot remember what year I bought the conversion, but it must have been in the mid 80’s, so I thought I ought to get round to building it. In the conversion there are new wingtips, engines and nose in resin. A vacformed fuselage extension and outer engine nacelles with clear vacformed mid upper and rear gun turrets, bomb aimers transparency and H2S radome are also provided. The props had to be sourced separately if I recall and came from Aeroclub. Anything else had to be scratch built.

This conversion turned out to be a bit of a challenge, partly of my own making. Most of the resin parts fit quite well, but apart from the wing tips everything is a butt joint and I used epoxy resin adhesives and for some parts I used P38 car body filler to fill joints for added strength. I had problems with two areas. The vacformed plug to extend the fuselage is too long (Guess how I found that out!) and the plastic on the outer engine nacelles is very thin. I used the original engine nacelles as a support for the resin engine nacelles and ended up using quite a lot of scrap plastic and filler to give some strength to vacform nacelles.

The rudders were kit items with extensions from plastic card and the gun turrets had scratch built interiors suggestive of the real thing. Aeroclub provided the 20mm cannon and the rear 0.5 Brownings came from a Revell B17 being built as a RAF 100 Group Fortress III. The interior had detail added and as so much of the exterior detail was sanded off, a fair amount of secribing of panel lines etc was done. The new taller astrodome was plug moulded and Colin at Freightdog released his treaded Lancaster/Lincoln wheels at jus the right time. They fit well and I think were the easiest part of the build. The markings are from a Kits at War sheet for a 57 Sqn aircraft in 1950 finished in Medium Ses Grey and Black. Apparently at that time nose guns were not fitted (seems to be supported by the photos). The model lacks the exhaust stains which are always present on any photo of Lincolns and will be added shortly.

Lincoln1_zps160c456b.jpg
Lincoln2_zpse4703e36.jpg

• Like 10

Wow. I have that kit and two of the conversion sets but have never had the nerve to try it. Yours looks fantastic. Great paint job too.

The Lincoln looks so distinctive compared to the Lancaster.

David

Lovely build! I've always liked the Lincoln; the longer wings and fuselage gave it a more graceful look than the Lancaster. I had that DB conversion set also and somewhere I have a nearly completed Lincoln. I know what you mean about the thinness of the outer nacelles - I used the outer nacelles from an old broken-up Frog Shackleton kit. Okay, so if the old wives' tale is true, Airfix should release one now? Please?

Regards,

Jason

Thanks for the comments and the likes. I may add some more pics when the light is right for my home phtography. The build was a challenge at times and took far longer than I thought. I am quite pleased with the result and I am glad for the aftermarket bits, Thank you again Colin for the wheels and off course John for the props and cannon, The props were a perfect match for the cowlings. Projects on the go are a Firefly AS6 and a Nieuport 16

What is the serial No? My dad was a fitter and Flt. Eng. on about seven Lincoln squadrons. 57 being one. He's got a piece of skin complete with Sqn badge on his garage wall. Great looking model. Thanks very much for showing.

The Aircraft is RF 517, from what little infromation I have it was one of the aircraft detached to Tengah, Singapore for duties in connection with Firedog between March and July 1950 from Waddington

• Like 1

I checked with him tonight but they were busy packing! He knew off the top of his head that he came back from Aden on RF518. When he was at the Bombing school, RAF Lindholm they had 30 odd ex squadron Lincolns and 517 might have been amongst them. I told him what you've made, he's not a computer man so he'll have to wait and see it!

He told me the front turret guns were taken off because of the draughts and as they weren't much use (!) they were removed and blanked. They could be refitted quite quickly if required. They were fitted for the Singapore opps. During the Mau Mau opps. in Kenya they were fitted and he knew of one instance (he wasn't on it) of ground straffing. Have you got the Chaz Bowyer book, Lincoln at war? He joined up with my dad and he contributed to it. Good book too.

Cheers

Lovely rendition! Also much better than my own attempt some 18 years ago! I also remember how thin the plastic nacelles were but I didn't know that the fuselage insert was the wrong length at the time. I built mine for the IX Sqn display cabinet and I don't think anyone noticed the incorrect dimensions! 😁😁😁

Edited by feifeitim