1/48 Hasegawa A-4C: China Lake +++FINISHED+++

Here is my entry to this GB...the Hasegawa A-4C but dressed up in Two Bobs decals for a USN China Lake bird

Box shot

007_zpsff168ad7.jpg

Sprues still in the bag

008_zps6bfd65cd.jpg

Those good looking Two Bobs decals :thumbsup:

009_zps8b3c7529.jpg

This will be a slow start as I am going to try and hit the USN GB deadline with my two Czech Model kits, so they take priority

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Lloyd and Phil

Time to make start on my Centennial a/c...

Cockpit areas sprayed US Light Grey. Hasegawa gives you decals for the side walls and IP but I have decided to paint them as there is some nice raised detail on them

001_zpsc4e4b78e.jpg

The intake areas and the fan housing were sprayed with Tamiya White with the fan picked out in Mithril Silver and later given a Flory wash

002_zpse04c68a6.jpg

The side wall switches were painted Humbrol 33, given a light dry brush of Grey and then switches picked out in White, Yellow and Red to make it look 'busy'

003_zpsc83a175d.jpg

The seat was glued and the cushion painted Humbrol 89 with some wine foil belts added. The bang set handles were painted Yellow and glued in place

004_zpsc629c01d.jpg

The dials to the IP were picked out in Black and then given the faintest of dry brushes to try and pop the dial detail. Switch colours were added and the radar screen picked out in Orange. I don't think that much will be seen once the coaming is on!

005_zps94dcfda3.jpg

The cockpit was then glued into one half of the fuselage. This was followed by the fan housing and the jet pipe which was sprayed in Tamiya's new Burnt Iron paint - nice.

006_zps8e13d0d0.jpg

The halves were then joined. The nose cone halves were also glued.

007_zps3c2a71d5.jpg

The various intakes and other bits including the intakes were added and true to form the small hatch behind the cockpit was dropped into the body of the fuselage :banghead: It is now rattling around inside and will have to be recovered somehow!

Thanks for looking - glad we're off on this one! Haven't built a Scooter for years :thumbsup:

Getting into this now - a very good kit, this Hasegawa A-4

Wings glued and clamped

001_zps77923b9a.jpg

The nose cone was filled with liquid shot pellets and then glued in place - a swipe with a sanding stick is all that was needed. I couldn't retrieve the errant access hatch and fashioned on out of card. The filler excess is probably my fault and not the kits after careless glueing

002_zps3367da81.jpg

Wings glued in place - excellent fit with a smear of Mr Surfacer 500 down each side to ensure a seam

003_zpsd3332a5e.jpg

I'm keeping the airbrakes doors shut as I don't see many pictures of them open on the ground

004_zpsa3f59554.jpg

Transparencies masked and checked for fit - looks very good

005_zps91856a34.jpg

I'm doing the flaps drooped as that is the usual state at rest - the kit gives you the option. I have also started doing the drop tanks - this one will have no weapons underneath as its a test a/c

006_zps4ecd24a6.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 1

Great progress Andy, looks a cracking kit

Cheers Phil - it's a belter. Having a ponder over the masking...going to prime in white I think - she should be in the paint shop tomorrow I hope!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Well she has been primed and lightly sanded and the cockpit canopy lightly tacked in place. Masking has started - a bit tedious but there is a fair bit of high colour on this machine.

I'm doing the red areas first followed by the International Orange.

004_zpsa8a8f4cc.jpg

Red was sprayed to the slats and the inside of the flaps

005_zps13db469d.jpg

I then mixed my own International Orange using Tamiya Orange and Red 70/30-ish and then masked and sprayed that too

006_zps74747440.jpg

I'll wait for it to dry for a day and then mask that off to tackle the underside white to beef it up from the primer. Then it will be the Light Gull Grey and then the Black to the nose

Thanks for looking

Cheers! Tell me about it! Complicated masking but rewarding when finished (and you remember to burnish all the edges!) - this decal sheet has the Centennial GSB F/A 18C on it too - got to do that one!

Hi all

More progress on the Scooter...

Masked up the International Orange ready for a coat of Tamiya White

001_zpscc4c4558.jpg

And ditto on the topside for the Light Gull Grey

002_zpsee01f97e.jpg

Light Gull Grey applied (Xtracrylix) - not great as it was too 'wet' first time, so took two coats

005_zps014e0e90.jpg

Took off the masking - not a bad result although that first 'wet' coat gave me a couple of paint runs onto the Orange and underneath onto the White. They are easily repairable though...

007_zpsfd74e725.jpg

Next job is to touch up a couple of areas carefully and then to get the Black on the nose done. Then I can start to think about gloss coat and decals. The tanks are done and that really just leaves the undercarriage and doors to do.

Thanks for looking

• Like 1

Hi all

Some more progress on the China Lake bird...

I completed all the minor touch-ups before masking up and applying the black...

002_zps9a9bdc08.jpg

The tailplanes were also masked previously and then fitted and the leading edge slat activators were also painted silver

003_zpsc32407d4.jpg

The pre-painted intake rims were then glued in place - this saves a lot of complicated masking

004_zps7ab215a9.jpg

The wingtip light clusters have been glued in place now with a little detail painting to do. The tyres have been undercoated ready for Rubber Black to be painted. The various u/c doors are painted too along with my new IFR probe from Quickboost.

Decals next - I have to concentrate on these as I have limited time before 1st December. I'm off to Berlin on Friday for 4 days and then its the first Xmas party the following Saturday in Gloucester!

Thanks for looking

• Like 1

That's really come on Andy nice work. I take my hat to you for managing to get on with xtracrylics I've long given up on them!

Phil

Cheers bud! Actually I am in the process of moving over to Lifecolor paints for spraying - so I won't be replacing my Xtracrylics when they run out

Wow, that's looking cracking! What's the 1/48 hase kit like?

Nice job on the paint scheme, she's really going to look the business once it's finished. :thumbsup2:

Thanks Danny - the kit is really good - much better than the old ESCI offering. Fit and detail are excellent although a bit of care is needed here and there.

I got the decals on tonight and they are excellent although the port wing star-and-bar will need a touch-up - a bucket of Sol/Set will just not get the decal to sit over those vortex generators!

001_zpscb30884f.jpg

002_zpse38435e2.jpg

003_zps9c6100d2.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 1

Cheers for the tip, never really paid much attention to the skyhawk until this group build, now I've got the urge to do an aggressor schemed one and don't fancy all that masking in 1/72. :lol:

Looking really good with the decals on, I found apply microsol over 5-6 days really helped to get the airfix decal to settle down over the vortex generators but then I'm not sure if my mircosol has gone off a bit as I swear it use to be stronger. :hypnotised: