Tyrrell P34 6-wheeler

suggy69

Been struggling to get started again since coming back from holiday and finally decided to make a start on the next in the stash.

c8c0f33d-8527-4fc5-8307-9d5638630280_zps

Always fancied doing this one since I got back into modelling a couple of years ago. Grew up watching motor racing in the 70's & 80's and the cars always seem to look better than the modern day ones (maybe it's just me). It'll be a slow build as I want to do it justice so have decided slow and steady is the way to go. Engine is almost finished, just need to attach the exhausts which looks like it could be a fun job. Transmission and rear axles are done. Enjoying this so far and have my eye on some of the Tamiya 1/12 scale F1 models (assuming that funds will allow). Have attached a couple of photos below. Apologies for the quality, they were taken with an iPhone. As always, comments appreciated.

9d22b257-df11-4f20-a80e-d3fd4c1d574a_zps

photo4_zps5dc50f8d.jpg

photo5_zps24f4ffce.jpg

Hi Kawacrossa. The gearbox is Gun Metal (Tamiya x10)

Exhaust manifolds have been added tonight. Having seen some earlier threads commenting on how difficult it was to attach the manifolds, I thought I would do a few test fits first just to see how it all came together. After several test fits, and several more words that are not repeatable, I finally got the manifolds on. Just need to touch up a bit of the paintwork tomorrow night. Pictures added below. Apologies again for quality, taken with iPhone

photo6_zpsb3ccbccf.jpg

photo9_zps8964a4e3.jpg

photo7_zpsf55b9b89.jpg

photo8_zpscaf2e890.jpg

Following with interest too! I absolutely love the early Tyrrell cars and I was over in Edinburgh recently and went to the National Museum of Scotland to specifically see this:

photo_zps3735505d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Chassis and engine are not attached. Took a lot of time and countless test fits to get it all together as there's some fiddly bits to connect up. Reasonably happy with it but noticed that one of the tubes has detached from the engine. There's no way I can get it back into place without taking the engine to bits so I'm going to wait until the other end of the tubes are to be connected and then look at how to connect up the other end. I'll probably end up gluing it somewhere near to where it should be. As long as it's close enough I'll be happy. Apologies for the quality of the pics.

photo12_zpseb94e1ef.jpg

photo13_zps7969f884.jpg

photo14_zpsdc2a8661.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. Was a bit down when I'd got the chassis and engine together because it was such a pain to do and I wasn't overly happy with how it went together. Had a look at it the day after and thought it wasn't too bad. Be a few days before I get any more done on it as I'm going away for the weekend.

Wish I could claim credit for the grainy photo. It was taken with an iPhone and I didn't do anything too it to make it come out like that!!

I'll post more pictures once I get the front suspension put together and the main body painted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Front suspension assemblies attached to bodywork, just the radiator to fit. Next step is to attach the chassis which I will do tomorrow evening, time permitting. Painted by hand as not had enough practice with the airbrush yet so I will be interested to see how the bodywork comes out. At first glance I wasn't too happy but will see how it looks once dry. If all goes well and it's not ended up in the bin then I will post pics tomorrow evening.

Ok, radiators attached, pics below. Done a couple of test fits of chassis to body and might leave that until tomorrow night. Anyway enjoy the pics and I'll post some more when the body and chassis are together. All comments welcome.

photo18_zps0da804b9.jpg

photo19_zpsebae6913.jpg

photo20_zpsa6a9bcc2.jpg

• Like 1

Funnily enough, that was the kit I chose when I returned to modelling a few years ago after a long, long absence - I was always a fan of Tyrrell and Patrick Depailler in particular...

My completed P34 is now looking a bit rough around the edges (my already limited modelling skills had become very rusty in the intervening near-three decade sabbatical).

But I really loved building this unique car - and I've now got two other versions (Tamiya '76 model and Fujimi '77 wide-axle version) to tackle in the future!

Looking forward to seeing more pics.

Body and chassis now attached. Just started painting the seat, steering wheel and steering column. Took a few attempts to get a good fit for the body and chassis but pleased how they have gone together. Finally feel like it is starting to look like a racing car. Have decided to do it as No4: Patrick Depailler (there is a change to the cowling for No3:Ronnie Peterson. Few pics below of progress. Comments welcomed.

photo21_zps05ebb11a.jpg

photo24_zps5ef05909.jpgser/suggy1969/media/photo22_zps39b20485.jpg.html]photo22_zps39b20485.jpg[/url]

photo23_zpsc9f6d9a2.jpg

Coming along nicely. This was the second kit (the Elf version driven by Jody Scheckter) I completed after returning to the hobby. I keep meaning to do a ready for inspection thread, which I'll try and do soon.

If you want to try your hand at spraying before you get an airbrush I can throughly recommend the Tamiya or Humbrol rattle cans. Using the advice here, I have sprayed Halfords primer and then the some thin top coats to gradually build the finish up and avoid runs. For each coat, stop before you think it is enough and avoid the temptation to keep the paint going on into a heavy coat. You should then avoid runs and go from an orange peel finish to a nice flat finish with a few coats. I have done this with the garage door open as the Tamiya cans stink and you really don't want to breath the vapour in!

You are well on the way now, the trickiest part I found was attaching the engine to the chassis with the other structural members.

Other than that, I can recommend Microsol and Microset to help the decals go down.

Look forward to see it finished.

Rob.

Thanks for the comments Rob. You are right, attaching the engine to the chassis has been the trickiest part so far. Frustrating, annoying are two other words that come to mind to describe attaching engine and chassis. I'll probably post another update once the seat is finished and in place and then wait and post it in the completed section when it's finished

Decided to post earlier as steering wheel, steering column and dashboard and decals now attached. Getting the dashboard decals on was a pain due to their size. Working on the seat at the moment but it will take a bit of time as it's 3 different colours. Might start getting the decals on the body before I do the rear wing and wheels. Comments welcomed as always. I may not post any more on this thread and the post in the completed section once finished.

Apologies for the quality, pics taken on iPhone.

photo25_zps36e5bf1a.jpg

photo26_zps70b32dc1.jpg

photo27_zpsf4390953.jpg

photo28_zpsc802a9ed.jpg

Rear wheels are on but I have a problem. The lettering on the front tyres is very small and I don't have a brush or a fine nib pen small enough to paint the lettering (the nib is 8mm). Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can paint the lettering? Would thinning the paint make it easier? Any suggestions gratefully received.