Bomber Command airfield dispersal points

Rich G

Hi,

Does anyone know what the dimensions of the circular dispersal points on bomber command airfields would have been during world war 2?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to complete a diorama of a bomber command dispersal point but I can't find anywhere on the internet any info or pictures that would help and I was hoping that somebody on here might know.

Many thanks,

Rich

How about looking on Google Earth for a disused WW2 airfield, I've just looked at Breighton in Yorkshire where you can still see the remains of the old airfield. By comparing the dispersal points visible with a known identifiable object, there are several light aircraft visible, you should be able to make a reasonable estimate.

Good suggestion about Google Earth - there's a measuring tool on there too, and looking at the dispersal points left at Pershore near our airstrip, they all measure out at about 120 feet in diameter. Don't know if that's standard, but it's a start...

Hope that helps,

Dean

Thanks, I had looked at that but just hadn't found the right airfield, but it would appear that the concrete block hardstandings which are round in shape are roughly 100ft across which works out to 16.67 inches in 1/72 scale, just incase anyone else wanted to know.

Thankyou.

According to the book 'Britain's Military Airfields' by David J Smith, page 30:

"early standings were circular in shape, of 125 ft diameter". It also says perimeter track for aircraft was initially 35 ft and increased to 50 ft, so I assume the access track to the dispersal standing would be the same.

Page 30 says: " Later developments saw the introduction of the frying-pan type of access track in various diameters up to 125 ft sited immediately of the perimeter track", so they may have been made bespoke size to location, material available, and planned usage.

Incidentally Noy's Minatures have just released a bomber dispersal hard-standing in 1/72 and 1/144 which looks pretty good if anyone is after a quick solution.

Hope that's of some help

Edited by 2wheels
  • Like 1

The Class A standard heavy bomber "frying pan" type dispersal was 150ft in diameter. However, as others have stated, they did vary, initially being 125ft diameter. From practical experience of Bomber Command airfields, 150ft was common, although construction and final design varied slightly from contractor to contractor.

A visit to a disused airfield will reveal all sorts of features, including boot prints, animal prints and signatures in the once wet concrete!

Bob

A visit to a disused airfield will reveal all sorts of features, including boot prints, animal prints and signatures in the once wet concrete!

Totally off topic, but when I visited the Merville Battery, reading the names and inscriptions of the German soldiers who manned it in the wet concrete of the shelters and gun bases was utterly fascinating, and a little bit eerie, but a tangible and real link to what went before.

Gday Rich,

great idea for a dio. If I can offer an opinion. I would not worry too much about what the actual size of the original was. rather I would concentrate on making your dispersal point the best size for allowing the finished dio. to look the most eyecatching

If this means your scale dispersal point in undersized compared to the original, so be it.

Better tha having your lancaster,wellington- or whatever - figures and vehicles lost on a massive base or worse, everything cramped together, and the wings hanging over the edge.It just looks silly

Shep Paine explains in his book how base size and composition help to make a diorama more dynamic.You do not want lots of empty spcae on a diorama, or conversely everything cramped together, it all needs to look balanced apparently.

IMO, no-one will give a hoot that your dispersal, is actaully a scale 125 feet in diameter but they will say, "that base is way too big for that diorama"

Anyway, just some food for thought

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...