What's next for Airfix in 1/48?

blueliner

One of the things that Airfix's marketing team has to consider is their, errr... "market".

Airfix's kits are not distributed evenly around the world, and there are countries where their distribution and "high street" presence is strong, and there are others where it's weak or non-existent. Sure, modellers anywhere can order by mail order, but only Airfix will know what proportion of their sales are in each of their "territories".

So first, they will look at their "addressable market" - who can they reach with their products; secondly they'll look at what it's appropriate or "legitimate" for them to sell under their brand. Probably not a good idea for Airfix to embark on a line of Anime figurines or modern American SUVs. Airfix has wide distribution and is synonymous with "model kit" in a very small part of the world but it can address the "high street" in those markets and the enthusiast modeller more widely. However, those enthusiasts who are most likely to think well of Airfix and buy large and expensive (1/48) models from them are more likely to be older (fondly remembering Airfix from their childhood, maybe) and somewhat more likely to be familiar with British aviation history than the average modeller worldwide.

If there is a large potential sales volume globally for a 1/48 MiG 15/17/19/23/25, Su-7/17/22 or Yak-25/28/Tu-28 etc, then I suspect that Zvezda, A-Model, KP or even Eduard are better placed to reach the largest markets for those kits, and are well-enough known elsewhere to be bought by enthusiasts wanting Soviet-era hardware on their shelves.

Airfix has said that they want a complete line-up of all the major marks of Spitfires in 1/72 and 1/48 eventually. True, each kit may not be quite as sophisticated as the Eduard IX, but no one is going to dismiss an "Airfix Spitfire" as a viable, and cheaper, alternative. Airfix has a good audience for British aircraft of the 1940s - 1980s, and as this discussion has demonstrated so far, there are quite a few of those to go, in Airfix's legitimate "heartland" before they need to spread the net more widely...

bestest,

M.

I concuur!

I would wish for a release of a model in 1/48 that had not been kitted before, or perhaps only as a vac or short run rather than duplicating a kit that's already available albeit one needing some additional work

On that basis the Scimitar works as would the Blenheim, Whirlwind, Gannet and others already mentioned

• Like 1

Here's a thought, what will the Next "Herrick" offering be? Surely another aircraft related and another AFV?

Puma and Mastiff perhaps?

Mastiff would be great, as would a Scimitar (ie CRV(T) not a wingy thing) or Scimitar 2 - nobody does these in 48! All that lovely bar armour... swoon!

Conflict themed release streams (as in "OP Herrick") could be something to build on for other eras, perhaps. Other than WWII which has been the core of so much production already.

Funny thing. The other night, my 17 year old son and his buddy when racing outside to stand in the driveway, in hopes of seeing the latest rocket launch from Wallops Island. Of their own accord... just goes to show, the lure of Space is still strong enough to cut through even teenage hormones and the latest Medal of Honor game! I wonder how a 'Race to Mars' series would play out? Or 'Mining the Astroid Belt'...?

Regards, Robert

I'm fed up of saying a Puma but I'll keep saying it :thumbsup:

Worked on the real thing - a 1/48th scale Puma is the last thing I'd want to see!

Wez

A 1.48 Puma would be great, so would a 1:48 Gazelle, not British I know but a 1:48 Aloutte III would be nice as well.

Oh can I add 1:48 Scout / Wasp if we are on 1:48 Helos.

Julien

• 3 weeks later...

A 1.48 Puma would be great, so would a 1:48 Gazelle, not British I know but a 1:48 Aloutte III would be nice as well.

Oh can I add 1:48 Scout / Wasp if we are on 1:48 Helos.

Julien

Hey, I second the Scout & Wasp! Puma would be nice, especially with all the gleaming bits hanging out...

Regards, Robert