What's next for Airfix in 1/48?

blueliner

"What's next for Airfix in 1/48?"

Firstly I would buy pretty much everything Airfix decides to release if it would entail finer panel lines, sharp they already are, but way too deep for my taste. those found on Sea Vixen should be fine. Taking before mentioned into account, and need for many short run kits to be upgraded to full mainstream toolings, my list would be following.

1. Blackburn Buccaneer S.1

2. Blackburn Buccaneer S.2+major subtypes.

3. DH. Sea Vixen FAW.1

4. Bristol Blenheim Mk.I / I.F

5. Bristol Blenheim Mk.IV / IV.F

6. Westland Whirlwind Mk.I

7. Junkers Ju 87A

8. Westland Lysander Mk.I / III

9. North American F-86A

10. North American F-86E

11. Canadair Sabre Mk.4

12. DH 82/82A Tiger Moth

13. DH.88 Comet

14. SAAB J-29A / A Late / B

15. SAAB J-29F

16. BAC Jet Provost T.3

17. BAC Jet Provost T.4 / 5

18. Supermarine Seagull/Walrus

19. Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Fabric Wing, rest of Hurricane Family inc.Sea Hurricane-Hurricat w/part of catapult.

20. Hawker Hurricane Mk. IV RP

21. Vickers Supermarine Type 300

P.S. And Beaufighter of course, especially Mk.I

Well, if they're going to release 22 kits "next" I think the following thing would be bankruptcy. Some of these are good ideas. Pick ONE to be next and you might be suggesting something useful.

Shane

They upsized their PRXIX from 72 to 48.

What's the betting they do the same for the Vamp twin stick?

Perhaps, but surely not in 2014, and so definitely not 'next'.

Even if the 2 seat Vampire was a runaway success (and this wouldn't be known till summer '13 at the earliest) it would take at least 18 months to bring it to the shops: even then something else due for 2015 (and probably already being worked on) would have to be bumped off the list.

Didn't someone post on here earlier this year that Airfix had already dismissed a 1/48 Puma as not being popular enough?

If it's modern then of would be something Op Herrick related. It's cirrent and in tje public eye. Anything land based based that is 'obviously' missing?

Trevor

Since I am an American perhaps my vote doesn't count/

But I would like to see the following in RN/RAF & USAF/USN subjects:

1/48

-Supermarine Scimitar

-Sea Harrier

-Vulcan (just too important to ignore)

-Fairey Firefly (Korean War)

-F-102

-F-106

-F11F-1 Tiger

-F2H-2 Banshee (Korean War)

Steve

F9F-8 Cougar (I know Kittyhawk is doing the twogar but would rather have an Airfix release)

Didn't someone post on here earlier this year that Airfix had already dismissed a 1/48 Puma as not being popular enough?

If it's modern then of would be something Op Herrick related. It's cirrent and in tje public eye. Anything land based based that is 'obviously' missing?

Trevor

Scimitar (1 or 2), Sabre

Challenger II

Viking

f2d That is a fantastic Puma shot. Put that on the front of a 48th kit and every young lad (and many a lass) in the country would want one.

The Vampire T.11 is a no brainer IMHO, they've done most of the preparation work for the 72nd scale wonder, lots and lots of different schemes, what more can you ask???? For a new modeller it would be a great step into larger kits.

For a proper :wow: they should do the Bristol 188 :gobsmacked:

We have to be sane it terms of what is likely to sell. Also families are good. Affix are getting a niche in British so I think the following could happen

Venom/seavenom family

Later Mk Meteor family

Blenheim family

Vampires

And outsiders Scimitar and Whirlwind fighter. However they did that TSR2 so anything is possible

guys half this list would never never happen. think comnercially. a beaufighter could because tamiya dont make money for airfix. we all have our wish lists but they aren't daft. think of the Canberra and nimrod how many sold after all that work to tool them? best hopes I feel would be a British phantom a retooled mossie, beuafighter or blenheim. people are still buying the buccs that shops never sold from the first runs

Edited by dazdot

guys half this list would never never happen. think comnercially. a beaufighter could because tamiya dont make money for airfix. we all have our wish lists but they aren't daft. think of the Canberra and nimrod how many sold after all that work to tool them? best hopes I feel would be a British phantom a retooled mossie, beuafighter or blenheim. people are still buying the buccs that shops never sold from the first runs

That got me thinking and I can honestly say I never saw any on the shelf when they were released. They were scarce at shows as well IIRC. A friend of mine was looking for one for what seemed like months before he found one.

I know they need work but that's why I make models rather than collect kits (he lied unconvincingly...) and the stuff is available to improve them? If there are still shops with stock I'll be interested in one.

Even though Kittyhawk has announced a Sea Harrier/Harrier in 1/48 I feel Airfix would make a better job of them, GR1, GR3, FRS1,FA2,T2 and T4.

Robert

• Like 1

AEW 3 please, thats all.

My votes would be:

48th

Supermarine Schmitar <--yes please definitely without question...thank you :)

a decent range of Hunters

Modern British Sea Harriers

Meteors

Vampires/Venoms

Decent new Buccaneer

New tool V Bombers (specially a Victor, maybe even just a new tool in 72nd)

:winkgrin:

Edited by Wezra

I'm not discounting the chance of Airfix doing any British subject in 48th. I certainly never guessed we'd have a Sea Vixen or Javelin kit from them. For sales figures an F-4 or F-16 kit would have made sense but instead we got some excellent British Cold War jets and I really hope this trend continues :thumbsup:

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

I'm not discounting the chance of Airfix doing any British subject in 48th. I certainly never guessed we'd have a Sea Vixen or Javelin kit from them. For sales figures an F-4 or F-16 kit would have made sense but instead we got some excellent British Cold War jets and I really hope this trend continues :thumbsup:

I sincerely hope we do NOT get yet another Spitfire ,F-16 of F4 (unless it's the Spey Phantom!). Rather than waste resources on already done to death subjects , I'd rather see said resources put to better use on Soviet Cold War subjects. I'd rather see a MiG 15/17/19/23/25/27/31 than another Spitfire. I'd rather see an SU-7/17/22 than an F-16. I'd rather see a Yak25/28/TU-28/SU-15 than another F-4.

Yes, any kit HAS to sell in sufficient numbers to cover costs & make a profit. However, would a (for example) SU-7/17/22 (well known, widely used, exported and with extensive combat experience) be a bigger risk than a possibly relatively unknown (outside the UK anyway) type built in limited numbers, used only by the UK & which never fired a shot in anger (Javelin)?

Allan

One of the things that Airfix's marketing team has to consider is their, errr... "market".

Airfix's kits are not distributed evenly around the world, and there are countries where their distribution and "high street" presence is strong, and there are others where it's weak or non-existent. Sure, modellers anywhere can order by mail order, but only Airfix will know what proportion of their sales are in each of their "territories".

So first, they will look at their "addressable market" - who can they reach with their products; secondly they'll look at what it's appropriate or "legitimate" for them to sell under their brand. Probably not a good idea for Airfix to embark on a line of Anime figurines or modern American SUVs. Airfix has wide distribution and is synonymous with "model kit" in a very small part of the world but it can address the "high street" in those markets and the enthusiast modeller more widely. However, those enthusiasts who are most likely to think well of Airfix and buy large and expensive (1/48) models from them are more likely to be older (fondly remembering Airfix from their childhood, maybe) and somewhat more likely to be familiar with British aviation history than the average modeller worldwide.

If there is a large potential sales volume globally for a 1/48 MiG 15/17/19/23/25, Su-7/17/22 or Yak-25/28/Tu-28 etc, then I suspect that Zvezda, A-Model, KP or even Eduard are better placed to reach the largest markets for those kits, and are well-enough known elsewhere to be bought by enthusiasts wanting Soviet-era hardware on their shelves.

Airfix has said that they want a complete line-up of all the major marks of Spitfires in 1/72 and 1/48 eventually. True, each kit may not be quite as sophisticated as the Eduard IX, but no one is going to dismiss an "Airfix Spitfire" as a viable, and cheaper, alternative. Airfix has a good audience for British aircraft of the 1940s - 1980s, and as this discussion has demonstrated so far, there are quite a few of those to go, in Airfix's legitimate "heartland" before they need to spread the net more widely...

bestest,

M.

• Like 2

Allan, we'll only get an Airfix Tu28/128 when I start building my A-Model one! Unfortunately I've lost my Mojo! Was very surprised Airfix got the MiG15 wrong when there are plenty to measure up.

Paul Harrison

• Like 1

Allan, we'll only get an Airfix Tu28/128 when I start building my A-Model one! Unfortunately I've lost my Mojo! Was very surprised Airfix got the MiG15 wrong when there are plenty to measure up.

Paul Harrison

I think that's Sod's first law of modelling Paul!!

Allan :D

My votes would be:

48th

Supermarine Schmitar

:winkgrin:

Since they seem to be alternating between RAF (Lightnings), RN (Sea Vixen) and RAF (Javelin), I wouldn't be surprised.