Eduard Spitfire Mk.XVIe and Bf.109 G-6 in 1:48

Homebee

Nice to see Spitfire Mk.XVI but why in post-war wing configuration?

How do we know it's post-war (only?) There are researchers who've gone on record that they've seen over-wing bulges in early 1945, which is a distinct possibility, if, on account of the extra weight, from bombs and rear tank fuel, the XVIs had to use hard runways (they already had to use 4-spoke wheels and metal elevators to get that extra weight off the ground.) That would necessitate the change of tracking, which would have brought the over-well bulges.

Edgar

• Like 1

Again, if we can believe Mr. Eduard there will not only be a Mk.XVI but also a MK.VIII and PR Mk.XI. As to wings, I guess that people may use EDuard's spare wings -- if they bought the overtrees, or the Royal edition.

NPL

Edgar I wrote that basing on some information I've found on this forum, afair in thread about AZ Model Spitfire Mk.XVI. But you learn whole life. Maybe Eduard could put two types of type E wings into the box - with and without those bulges. But, IMHO, we wiil be "forced" to buy overtrees wings.

Were they bald and without necks? Is your bike ok ;)

Oh c'mon guys.I'm just wondering. I'm not puritan (and I don't care if model is a few mm longer or shorter) but this is quite important issue for Spitfires. And I really hope they include at least two different options for Mk.XVI upper wings.

Edgar correct me if I'm wrong. If I see the photo of Spitfire Mk.XVI with three spoke wheels should I assume that she had those bulges? And was it only about such those aircraft with three spoke wheels?

Cheers

• Like 1

Edgar correct me if I'm wrong. If I see the photo of Spitfire Mk.XVI with three spoke wheels should I assume that she had those bulges? And was it only about such those aircraft with three spoke wheels?

No, in fact you should assume that the photo is post-war, since the three-spoke wheels were introduced in May, 1946, for the 20-series airframes. The bulges were nothing to do with the wheels themselves, but were caused by the change to their tracking, brought about by use of paved runways.

4-spoke wheels were introduced, from the start, on the VIII & XIV, probably because of the extra weight (of the Griffon in the XIV and the wing fuel tanks + planned use of 4 cannon [which never happened] on the VIII.) Somehow the XIV didn't need the large over-wing bulges, when the tracking changed (which never seems to have been required for the VIII,) but got away with a very narrow solid "bulge" instead.

The 4-spoke were introduced, as a modification, on the IX, in July/August 1944, and were listed as "essential" for aircraft toting wing bombs (this is why I suspect that the XVI had them from the start.) Remember that the XVI, as an official Mark no., didn't exist before August 1944, which is why it doesn't appear.

Post-war (December 1945,) further "stronger wheels" were introduced for the IX, XIV, XVI, XVIII & XIX, which appear to be new 4-spoke with 12" hubs, replacing the previous standard 10.5" hubs.

Edgar

• 1 year later...

Why not an XIV!

Ben

That would be great but a Mk. VIII & XVI share so much with the Mk. IX so it is a logical step.... XIV would need much more new parts... It would be a new model.

Ah, so they are retooling the G6??

• Like 1

This is why I want a Mk.XVI:

SpitfireIXeSAAFw_zps53a75386.jpg

The drawing from Decals Carpena isn't very accurate, but you get the idea. They didn't say what the upper surface color is ,but I think it's Dark Sea Gray (although it could have been Extra Dark Sea Gray, I suppose). Yes I know it's a bubbletop Mk.IX, but a XVI is as close as I think we'll get.

Edited by Don McIntyre
  • Like 1

This is why I want a Mk.XVI:

SpitfireIXeSAAFw_zps53a75386.jpg

The drawing from Decals Carpena isn't very accurate, but you get the idea. They didn't say what the upper surface colour is ,but I think it's Dark Sea Gray (although it could have been Extra Dark Sea Gray, I suppose). Yes I know it's a bubbletop Mk.IX, but a XVI is as close as I think we'll get.

Alley Cat AXD-48009 includes better decals of the SAAF Spitfires. And better drawings. You should go for it.

Thanks, guys. As I've already got the Carpena sheet in the stash I'll go ahead and use it.

I wasn't too worried about the drawing anyway. It looks like the "artist" couldn't decide if it was a low back or high back and he split the difference...